• Yes he should but not at captain.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No he should be left out.

Votes: 32 45.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CJACKO11

Reaction score
After pleading not guilty to a charge of racist abuse towards Q.P.R's Anton Ferdinand the court has set a date for the 9th July as a start date. This means that Terry is still not guilty and can and proberly will go to and captain England in Poland and Ukraine this summer.

Nice and easy and lets be civilised about this, should Terry go to the Euro's or not? Your opinions for why he should/shouldn't. Maybe you think he should go but not as captain?

This has already raised its head on Twitter with the likes of Jason Roberts suggesting he should not go as it would cause frictions in the dressing room.

I believe he should go as he is innocent and everyone in the dressing room should treat him as an innocent man. I also think he is huge to the team and has alot to offer still.

So now have your say.

Would not have been proven guilty and one of Englands best defenders so yes he should go.

On a legal perspective, he should go.

On a team perspective you do whatever is right for England. If there is too much friction, you leave him behind, if the players are together, you take him

Yes, but not as a starter.

Not because he's not a quality defender - as a backs-to-the-wall, brave, leading presence he's still by some distance the world's finest - but because of his terrible lack of pace. Individually, he can work round it, but it unbalances a team. Chris Smalling and Phil Jones have the ability and potential to be our central defensive partnership for the next decade, and have a skill set complement each other in the same way that Ferdinand and Terry did in their pomp. With Ferdinand now out of the running, usurped at club level by Smalling and Jones, Terry needs a quick covering defender alongside him to work to his fullest extent. Smalling or Jagielka fit that description, which leaves a straight fight between Terry, Lescott and Jones. Jones is, so far, the most in-form of the three, and offers versatility and an attacking threat from deep.

Terry should go, as a benched defender we can bring on if necessary. In a situation where we need extra defensive muscle and some stout penalty-box defending, he's still the best.

EDIT: Oh what, you mean legally? Sure. Why not. Innocent until proven guilty. So long as the squad has no problems with it, then I don't see why we should.

ye he should go as long as his head is right but it's Terry so he should be fine. Though as others have said, not as a starter

Can somebody explain to me why it has been set till after the euro's?

it just seems it suits the FA and english football because then can simply say 'well he is not been found guilty yet' .. If this wasn't the English captain, would the trial really be set after the euro's

IMO get the trial done ASAP, Guilty, then dont take him.. Not Guilty, then things carry on as normal

I wouldn't take him, not for the racist comments, or him ******** Bridge's wife, or for the simple common knowledge that he is one of the biggest twats in football. Not even really because of his talent (technically on that alone I suppose we should take him)

Just simply because I am starting to see him as one of the 'past players' of England, who no longer represents the future. I don't expect us to do much at the Euros, prob get to the quarter finals and get knocked out, semis at best if we avoid Spain and Germany. Taking that into account, I'd rather blood in Smalling and Jones as first team starters, and I'd even take Kelly (I'm biased I know) if there is a slot free for a centre back still. All three players represent the future for our nation. Stick em in now and give us a chance to build for the next World Cup - which Terry more than likely won't be around for.

Innocent until proven guilty so I suppose he has the right to go. Still think he is nasty individual. He must of had a ****** good brief to get this delayed until after the Euro's.

Can somebody explain to me why it has been set till after the euro's?

it just seems it suits the FA and english football because then can simply say 'well he is not been found guilty yet' .. If this wasn't the English captain, would the trial really be set after the euro's

IMO get the trial done ASAP, Guilty, then dont take him.. Not Guilty, then things carry on as normal

Got nothing to do with the FA.

Prosecution wanted it mid march, it was the judge who postponed it because of his footballing commitments, and also Ferdinands. A trial would pull both players from their playing games

Last edited:
Innocent until proven guilty so I suppose he has the right to go. Still think he is nasty individual. He must of had a ****** good brief to get this delayed until after the Euro's.

It was the judge, a march trial ruins his and ferdinand's season

I just don't understand how they can continue to delay it just because he is a footballer.. It's a joke.

I say don't take him, he's not worth the hassle, 'innocent until proven guilty'? If he's so sure of proving his innocence it wouldn't have been delayed.

EDIT: Mike, apparently it was a letter from Chelsea's chief executive, don't think Ferdinand complained, it could be easily scheduled around games and training.

Last edited:
I just don't understand how they can continue to delay it just because he is a footballer.. It's a joke.

I say don't take him, he's not worth the hassle, 'innocent until proven guilty'? If he's so sure of proving his innocence it wouldn't have been delayed.

Sigh he didnt get it delayed. the judge did becuase it affects both players

Because alot of the key witnesses have commitments which can't be changed thats why. It makes perfect sence.

Alot of people seem to have forgotten this trial involves TWO footballers. Not all about John Terry

Alot of people seem to have forgotten this trial involves TWO footballers. Not all about John Terry

I spoke to someone earlier who is part of JT's legal team and she said he is very happy he still gets to captain his country.

Sigh he didnt get it delayed. the judge did becuase it affects both players

Sigh yourself. ):

I edited my post. Haven't heard anywhere about it not suiting Ferdinand, only Terry's lawyers & Chelsea executives making excuses.

I spoke to someone earlier who is part of JT's legal team and she said he is very happy he still gets to captain his country.

As long as the players are happy with it, then he should go. Thats it from me. If it creates friction he stays at home

My only Qualm with this whole "take John Terry" malarkey is that we "let by gones be by gones" earlier with the whole Bridge-Terry debacle, now that clearly upset the whole balance of the squad and the harmony in the dressing room. Yes I concede that there were many other factors to the poor play of England during the World Cup, but this one cannot and should not be forgotten.

In my opinion, this championship really is England's for the taking, we have a great balance of youth and experience (albeit none of that experience has won anything on the international stage so what are we really talking about?!). Leave Terry at home, The lad obviously needs to be taught a lesson, just because you are a hard *** football player that makes millions of pounds a ******* week doesn't mean you can go around doing what ever you feel like.

Regardless of guilt the fact is that Anton Ferdinand accused him of racial abuse, Anton may not be at the same calibre as Terry, but he is an English player. If I Rio i'd be ****** off at this chav chap Terry, walking around in his Burberry cap calling the shots however he see's it (now none of that last statement about him being a chav or wearing burberry holds any water but he's still a ****). Again regardless of guilt the ominous cloud of the accusation is there. I am not calling John Terry a racist, He made a mistake ... another one ... I think that there are other English center half's that are very capable of playing in Terry's absence, he has made a mockery of the three lions for the last time if you ask me.

Leave him at home, Take Smalling, Lescott, Jones, Ferdinand, Shawcross, Cahill and Jags. We don't need that cancer in the dressing room.

Sigh yourself. ):

I edited my post. Haven't heard anywhere about it not suiting Ferdinand, only Terry's lawyers & Chelsea executives making excuses.

Trial delay leaves John Terry free to captain England at Euro 2012 | Football | guardian.co.uk

The court also took into account Ferdinand's commitments to QPR over the remainder of the current Premier League campaign, which does not end until 13 May, as well as a holiday he had booked for June and his club's pre-season tour of Asia, which is scheduled for 16-27 July. Judge Riddle even acknowledged the possibility that the players might then be involved in the Great Britain Olympic men's football squad in setting the date for trial, with five days initially put aside for the process.

Last edited: