Skrtel: This is our year

JDY

Reaction score
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6318523,00.html

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel reckons the Reds can finally end their 21-year wait for the league title this season.

The Anfield outfit are outsiders for the Premier League crown following last season's dismal seventh place finish and a summer of upheaval on Merseyside.

Long-serving manager Rafa Benitez has been replaced by Roy Hodgson, while owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are looking to sell the club.

But Skrtel still feels the Reds can edge back ahead of bitter rivals Manchester United and claim a record 19th English crown.

"We made some good changes and I really believe that this can be our year," he told his personal website.

The Reds looked on course to start the season with a victory against Arsenal, but a late blunder from goalkeeper Pepe Reina allowed the Gunners to ****** a 1-1 draw.

David Ngog had fired the Anfield outfit in front despite Liverpool being down to 10 men following Joe Cole's red card moments before the break.

Skrtel added: "It is an unlucky result. The fact that Joe Cole was sent off did harm us and it is very difficult to play against Arsenal when you have one man down.

"We wanted to stay calm in defence and try to score which we did. Unfortunately we didn't do enough to hold on to our lead.

"On the other hand, we have shown our strong will and character which is a good sign."

Realistic, optimistic, or plain stupid? Can Liverpool go from 7th to 1st in the space of one year?

Your thoughts.

its always their year. ill believe it when i see it.

Well I said they would, and was laughed at.:'( But I honestly think they're in with a shout this year :)

If we can keep our key players fit, maybe add one or two more players, we can definately mount a challenge. May be a little optismistic.

Need to get our priorities straight, top 4 is our main aim this season.

If Skrtel says it is, it is. You don't argue with him.

squirtle.jpg

They won't win the league but they will do better this year

When someone says this years our year thats when you know they are a true Red haha.

I have rarely heard Liverpool fans say ''This year is our year'' it is mainly bitter Mancs, Yids, Chelsea fans, Blue ***** etc etc that say it just to take the ****. Obviously priority this year is to retain top four status and maybe win a cup.

its all about re-building this season for liverpool and i think they can get back into the champions league spots and if they do then that would be a massive achievement and then they can think about stabilising the side.

I have rarely heard Liverpool fans say ''This year is our year'' it is mainly bitter Mancs, Yids, Chelsea fans, Blue ***** etc etc that say it just to take the ****. Obviously priority this year is to retain top four status and maybe win a cup.
you're kidding right? ive heard this so often that the season doesnt feel complete without someone in red saying it, and along comes Skrtel. top 4 first, nothing else should matter for liverpool right now

you're kidding right? ive heard this so often that the season doesnt feel complete without someone in red saying it, and along comes Skrtel. top 4 first, nothing else should matter for liverpool right now

This.

All I've heard is things like 'Last year was the first time we've dropped out of the top four in a number of years and all of a sudden we can't challenge for the league?'

It can work both ways. Liverpool's only genuine challenge for the title in the past 10 years was in 08/09, now all of a sudden they think they can challenge?

Top four is what they should be set on, if City keep spending it could prove a bridge too far this season. Get a good start however with key players back and in form, then they may want to rethink expectations.

Meh we are just as optimistic as other clubs, it's just other clubs feel the need to rip it out of us every year if we fail. No Liverpool fan or player at Liverpool believes we have the best team but if we don't aim high then what's the point in aiming at all.. Now Skrtel isn't allowed to comment saying something pretty innocent 'this can be our year' not 'this is our year' there is a huge difference in those statements.

I hate the morons who write teams off [usually Liverpool] before the season has even got going, I hope come May you are all eating your words.

Last edited:
I wish someone else would win it --- the EPL title race is almost as predictable as the SPL.

I wish someone else would win it --- the EPL title race is almost as predictable as the SPL.

not in the slightest the spl has had 2 different title winners since 1992 where as the pl has had 4.

It all depends on how fit we can keep Torres, Gerrard and Cole. We need to improve against mid table/ bottom of the table sides, especially away from home. Roy seems to have switched our set piece defending from zonal to man marking which should help us concede less goals from corners and hopefully our concentration will have improved. We lost so many late goals through silly mistakes its what ultimately cost us a place in the last 16 of champions league. In my opinion a challenge for the title isnt out of the question but it is a huge ask, im confident we can finish inside the top 4 and get to the latter stages of Europa League, FA Cup and hopefully we can get the youngsters to give us a decent run in the Carling Cup.

not in the slightest the spl has had 2 different title winners since 1992 where as the pl has had 4.
It's not much better, I mean, Blackburn won it once, Arsenal have won it three times, Chlesa 4, I think, and United 11...If I'm correct

Still, It's nice to see optimism, but our priority is to get back into the top four. Keep Gerrard and Torres fit, and stop conceding silly goals like last season, anything could happen Imo

The SPL only has 12 teams in it, we have 20 -- the ratio is almost the same and Blackburn haven't been in contention for years. That's pretty predictable to me. I would bet my house (though this isn't a written contract I'm making here, lol) on United, Chelsea or Arsenal winning the league this year, though I would love to be wrong.

Optimistic. We could win it, but even I'd be surprised. Top 4 is the main priority this season, along with some new owners.

Depends on injuries and on whether Mr.Hodgson has got what it takes.

Both are uncertain for me just now. I'll focus on supporting my team and manager and see where we are come next May.