Spend, Spend, Spend Is An Alarmingly Growing Trend

Jamie.

Reaction score
The Financial Threat That Lurks Beneath The Spanish Football Boom

After the dominance of the Barclays/Barclaycard Premier League in the early to mid 2000's it seemed foolish to consider that La Liga could mount a strong enough challenge to compete with Premier League teams on a European stage. But as the remarkable Valencia/Deportivo/Zaragoza sides of the early 21st Century showed, it was possible to challenge Real Madrid/Barcelona and indeed showed it was feasible that someone outside of Catalonia/Madrid could fill trophy cabinets to the extent that those sides in particular did. But the consequences/legacy of such challenges to the power of Real Madrid/Barcelona? Financial ruin and instability for years to follow, Valencia are a perfect example who have been unable to reproduce the success Benitez had during his tenure now finding themselves in serious debt servicing problems forcing them last summer to sell their prized assets like David Villa/David Silva and downgrade the spending to bring in the likes of Soldado/Aduriz who are proven La Liga strikers. Their strategy is working in the medium term, they aim to have a sufficient 10 year plan in place by the end of this year which is less reliant on the Champions League income (which is the main source of income for them right now) and move towards stability and producing gems like they have done in Juan Mata/David Villa who were brought to the club for relatively nominal fees. That strategy is quite a financially brave strategy in Spain as the culture/trend of La Liga is leaning ever more to the ways of the Barclays Premier League where clubs spend more than they earn and end up in severe non structured debt through poor management at the top level leaving them vulnerable to administration/relegation. The trend set by Hercules/Mallorca in the past two seasons should serve as a stark warning to mid-lower teams in La Liga who must now realise that spending what you do not have in the summer just threatens your ability to service expenses/costs such as wages, operating costs and renting of facilities throughout the season. The extreme examples of clubs being financially mismanaged in recent seasons has already led to Deportivo and Hercules go down and Mallorca/Racing's futures put in severe doubt, surely this should serve as a warning not a precedent that is to be followed?

Of the teams promoted to La Liga this season, Real Betis, Rayo Vallencano and Granada are all in administration. Real Mallorca went into administration last season and were banned from playing in the Europe League. Real Zaragoza applied for voluntary administration last month, whilst Racing Santander are struggling to pay off their debts. Spanish regional banks have been in trouble and the country's construction bubble has burst leaving unsold and half completed apartments and many construction workers adding to already high structural employment. Spain could be hit hard by any contagion effect from a Greek default and already indebted football clubs could be flattened by the financial tsunami.

According to article 93 of law 35, originally introduced by the previousPartido Popular government in 2004, foreign executives earning more than €600,000 (£540,000) a year are taxed at 23%, rather than 43%. In theory, the aim was to encourage talent to come to Spain: in practice, following a modification in 2005, it gave Spanish football clubs, already boosted by the collapse of the pound, a huge advantage. Of every 60 people who qualify for the lower rate of tax, 43 are footballers. Luckily the absurdity of the law has recently been altered by the government meaning even foreign football players in Spain are taxed 43%.

But when the league is headed by two clubs who hold the spending power of Real Madrid and Barcelona who have the capability to splash the income of most Spanish clubs in a single transfer surely the reality is that clubs will never hold any chance at winning the league?

In 2008/09 season the €455m net La Liga transfer spend disguises a troubling reality. Last year, despite winning the treble, Barcelona made only €8.8m and have a debt of €350m. Madrid signed €258m worth of players but only after their president, Florentino Pérez, turned to two friends who are both presidents of banks and who loaned Madrid €151.5m. Which I often refer to as the true fault with Spanish football, the clubs/presidents mismanagement and personal connections with banks leads clubs down the path of borrowing...But when that presidents time comes and a new President is elected the clubs debts/bonds/loans are all still held by the same bank executive that the old President struck a deal with and who may want to up the interest/call in the loan.

It is such a short sighted short term strategy taken by alot of Spanish clubs because the power hungry Directors/Presidents are all too happy to sit in their ivory towers and building the team behind the scenes but when things go wrong they divert the heat onto the manager and 9/10 they sack the coach. Utter madness that you consider clubs to have 2-3 year financial plans, the club will never be stable and hold sustainable growth as long as Presidential terms/elections exist in Spanish culture.

florentino-perez2.jpg

The argument is that their debts are serviceable. In fact, Pérez insists that high expenditure is necessary to generate money and Madrid have become the first club to take income beyond €400m. But doubts remain; costs outstrip income, shirt sales are lower than those of Liverpool and Chelsea; Bernabéu attendances are down 7%; and the debt stands at €683m. Publicly, Pérez insists: "Madrid must always remain a club owned by its members." The possibility of Real Madrid becoming a plc has even been discussed. Unthinkable as it sounds, the comparison of the Glazers-Perez is a very short run contest in my wholly honest opinion as to who's strategy makes more sense because the Glazers borrowed 80 pct of funds against the football club...In order to buy the football club, and their idea was to service the ludicrous debt by structuring it annually with high interest whereas Perez just seems to be relying on Shirt sales/Marketing strategy to pay back his loans. But would that solve anything? The evidence suggests not. In the early 1990s, a new law obliged every club to become a plc, with four exceptions – Real Madrid, Barcelona, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna, who were given special exemptions for socio-cultural reasons. Shares were issued and the slate wiped clean. It was supposed to be a panacea. The theory was simple: presidents would be more careful risking their own money. They were not. Often their fans would not let them...

Football+Best-selling-shirts31.8.10.jpg

Look back over the clubs who have competed in the Champions League recently and the situation is alarming: Valencia's debt is more than €600m. Like Real Madrid (who sold the their training ground for €447m to the council in 2001, wiping out their €278m debt), a property deal was supposed to be their salvation. However, the market crashed at just the wrong time. Now Valencia have two stadiums – one they cannot sell and another they cannot afford to finish building. According to the third largest shareholder at Atlético Madrid, their debt is above €300m. Villarreal have just failed to pay their players for the first time because the ceramics industry from which their owner, Fernando Roig, makes his money has been hit hard by the crisis. Deportivo La Coruña are more than €120m in debt. Mallorca are desperately seeking a buyer and preparing for administration. Celta Vigo and Real Sociedad have been relegated and, with no parachute payment to break the fall, went into administration. Real Sociedad's president at the time was a certain Astiazarán, now the league's president. This culture needs to stop, it will strangle the longevity of La Liga's ability to challenge and grow as a worldwide domestic competition

Malaga-CF-Logo.jpg
valencia.png
Hercules_CF.png

According to the latest Deloitte football finance report, La Liga's revenues grew by 8 per cent to €1.622m in 2009-10, the highest relative and absolute growth of any of the 'big five' leagues. However, much of the growth was driven by Real Madrid and Barcelona whose collective revenues increased by €69m. Which clearly show's the unjust imbalance of TV rights/revenue proportioning that go on within the La Liga dividends and the facts are that policies in Spanish football are often driven by the 2 powerhouses of Real Madrid and Barcelona. According to reliable statistics Madrid have 13.2m fans while Barcelona have 10.4m. Valencia are third with 2.1m. Nearly two-thirds of all football fans in Spain support one of the big two. And supporters of other clubs almost invariably choose Madrid or Barcelona as a "second" team.

Their dominance is felt most on the TV revenue side– and that is the crux of the issue, the precarious foundation upon which Spanish football is built. Unlike elsewhere – and even Italy is going collective – Spanish clubs negotiate individual television deals. "The lack of a centralised deal is the biggest problem we face," Tebas says. The reason is clear. Madrid and Barcelona will earn approximately €120m in rights each year until 2013. 09 season's third-placed side, Sevilla earn around €20m; Valencia, last seasons third, make under €30m – less than Portsmouth. Right throughout the league, the imbalance is extraordinary. Competing is impossible.

The problem is the league are powerless to impose a collective deal, although they continue trying. There is so many splits of opinions that it is impossible to get unanimous agreement on anything in the way of legislation. Your probably thinking ''isn't that the main reason blocking SPL reform at the minute?'' Yes.

There is a lot of talk about Premier League debts, but this is a much more serious overall situation, particularly when one considers the state of the Spanish economy. You have to ask yourself, where is La Liga's long term strategy/policy heading?

09/10 Figures Compared To The Barclays Premier League, The Revenue/Spend Is A Terrifyingly Obvious Precedent That Clubs Set That Summer That Followed In The Summer Of 10 With The Likes Of Hercules Spending Large Amounts Of Money It Simply Did Not Have The Capacity To Re Imburse Throughout The Season..

LP-graphic8.4.10.jpg

Part one of a series analysing Spanish Football and it's Financial structured, next piece is on TV rights and the 'top 2' domination of that field along with a summary of La Liga's ''attempt'' last season to entice Asian audiences with an earlier kick off that ended in what I can only describe as a 'dud' of an encounter. Followed by a look at the strategies La Liga clubs can use/are using to catch the top 2, examples involved in that analysis include Villareal's strategy and the Malaga strategy.

Last edited:
Such is the enormity of the post, I have to go and do something before I finish it, but from the half I read this is excellent stuff.

Brilliant read, and some very interesting points - But I feel that, whilst the Spanish imbalance is obviously a massive issue, the problem is not limited to Spain as a whole; as much as it pains me to admit it, the Premier League is showing more and more signs of becoming a league focused around 2 teams, unless you throw millions at it. For me, the financial regulations that leagues and UEFA are implementing are too little, too late.

I WAS GOING TO PUT A WARNING IN THE THREAD TITLE

I PUT THE CAPS LOCK ON ESPECIALLY, IT WAS GOING TO READ: WARNING MAY CONTAIN ALOT OF READING

Whoops caps lock was on...

Very interesting reading that. But I'm going to leave the comments regarding the financial aspects to the more intelligent folks like Mike, Godcubed, Joel et all. I'm easily confused. That's why the other half pays the bills. But very interesting read like I said.

Brilliant read, and some very interesting points - But I feel that, whilst the Spanish imbalance is obviously a massive issue, the problem is not limited to Spain as a whole; as much as it pains me to admit it, the Premier League is showing more and more signs of becoming a league focused around 2 teams, unless you throw millions at it. For me, the financial regulations that leagues and UEFA are implementing are too little, too late.

The imbalance is much worse in spain because of the TV money.

Definitely not too late with the FFP, things would be worse with no implementation

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Given the state of the Spanish economy, La Liga could be decimated if the bottom falls out the economy, and the chances of that arent exactly remote

Definitely not too late with the FFP, things would be worse with no implementation

No doubt about the imbalance being worse in Spain, in fact I acknowledged there are only signs beginning to show in the Premiership - it is still the most competitive league in the world.

And I agree with the FFP being a good implementation, but as we saw with the City "Etihad" deal, there are ways around it and we have yet to see if UEFA are just making rules for making rules, or are going to back it up with the proverbial Iron Fist of Justice.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Given the state of the Spanish economy, La Liga could be decimated if the bottom falls out the economy, and the chances of that arent exactly remote

My parents live in Spain (think its near Alacante), and they're saying that the countries economy is pretty much imploding big time.

No doubt about the imbalance being worse in Spain, in fact I acknowledged there are only signs beginning to show in the Premiership - it is still the most competitive league in the world.

And I agree with the FFP being a good implementation, but as we saw with the City "Etihad" deal, there are ways around it and we have yet to see if UEFA are just making rules for making rules, or are going to back it up with the proverbial Iron Fist of Justice.

City havent got round it yet. UEFA can still discount it when it comes to the break even results. Let UEFA take or not take action before we can start to pass any real judgement on it

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

My parents live in Spain (think its near Alacante), and they're saying that the countries economy is pretty much imploding big time.

Bad as it is now, scary thing is that it can get much worse. Lots of local economies are badly crippled as it is

Fair shout on that - I'm just a sceptic.

Any clues as to how Valencia have a debt of 600,000,000 Euro's? Surely, especially with the disparity in the Spanish league, that is administration waiting to happen?

City havent got round it yet. UEFA can still discount it when it comes to the break even results. Let UEFA take or not take action before we can start to pass any real judgement on it

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Bad as it is now, scary thing is that it can get much worse. Lots of local economies are badly crippled as it is

Pretty much what they said. Basically impossible for them to get a job compared to couple years back, seeing businesses going under pretty much everywhere. They actually said they wished they stayed here, but like I told them. No country is free from some sort of recession, and it's just going to get worse before getting better. Which sadly will be a good while.

Valencia's 600m of debt is partly down to the ridiculous old establishment that ran it, it's old interest put on it by a previous president who how can I put this, sort of re mortgaged their stadium?

He needed capital so a ploy he used to get money to buy players to get in the UCL to win the league again to make the fans happy etc etc, so what he did was essentially go to his bank pals and get a large scale few hundred million loan out against the stadium and those payments have rarely been getting paid over the years so the clubs just been lumbered with interest of like 12pct rising 2 pct every year until they pay off half of the debt.

Huge mess, the property bubble burst/Spanish economy the way it is means all those property moguls who were tied to Spanish clubs and all those banks who invested/bankrolled some of them are just wanting all of their money back 'tomorrow'.

It will only get worse as you guys said, the Spanish economy will collapse because the way it's afloat now is subsidiaries that are unsustainable.

Excellent read. No matter what anyone says, TV revenue sucks in Spain and it will only make the difference between top 2 and the rest even wider. Valencia got less than Portsmouth who were relegated. Thats a horrible situations for Spanish teams. Surely centralised/collective TV revenue system will save many La Liga clubs.

And also Spanish clubs operating cost is way way high.. Barca after winning so much still failed to record a profit or made a smallest profit.

I read once Sevilla threatened that many clubs will walk away from La Liga and form their own league. If the dispaarity in the payment is so huge I wont be surprised if many clubs threaten Spanish FA..

GReat OP!!!. the numbers are staggering. la liga in -270m euros. EPIC!!!

who's ranked 4th, Seria A ?

Fair shout on that - I'm just a sceptic.

Any clues as to how Valencia have a debt of 600,000,000 Euro's? Surely, especially with the disparity in the Spanish league, that is administration waiting to happen?

They have come very close twice before. Only CL footy and some very widespread selling prevented it, and they still must sell big every now and then

I would like to know how Valencia are supposed to have 600million in debt? Quote from the Valencia President Llorente: 'It was €550m on the 31st of June 2009, and now it’s €368m.'

That was a very interesting read and I have just finished reading through the comments. It seems that everyone is saying the same thing that the individual TV deals are one of the main drawbacks with La Liga. Don't get me wrong while I love watching Barca for their attacking bravado and Real for their well Realness, I would like to see more diversity in the matches shown. I also saw someone mention the Man City deal as a ploy to get around the FFP, I would love to see how all the European chasing teams in Spain deal with this as most of them like Valencia rely on the CL money to stay afloat.

Do you think UEFA would ever consider throwing Real, Barca out of the CL for their financial state?