Steve Bruce Sacked By Sunderland

Jamie.

Reaction score
Steve Bruce is the first Premier League managerial casualty of the season after being sacked by Sunderland.

Assistant manager Eric Black will take charge of the first team while the club searches for Bruce's replacement.

"This has been a difficult time for everyone at Sunderland and is not a situation that any of us envisaged or expected to be in," chairman Ellis Short said.

"It is my job as chairman to act in the best interests of our football club at all times and I can assure everyone that this is not a decision that I have taken lightly. Sadly results this season have simply not been good enough and I feel the time is right to make a change.

"Steve has acted with honesty and integrity throughout, which is testament to the character and commitment he has shown during his time at Sunderland.

"I would like to personally place on record my thanks to him for his significant contribution to our football club over the past two and a half years and everyone here at Sunderland naturally wishes him the very best for the future.

"I would also like to thank our fans, who have endured a trying start to the season. Their support continues to be the driving force behind our club and is vital as we now look to the future."

Not surprised he's gone, it's been on the cards and results haven't improved for him unfortunately. The thing for me is what did Short expect him to do when he sold Bent and lost Gyan?

Sunderland's strikeforce lately has essentially been Sessegnon and Bendtner, he didn't have a lot to work with. He's got a lot of respect within football and he enjoys every aspect of coaching from the early morning starts to getting a drink with the other manager after a game. He wont be out of work for long I imagine...

The bookmakers already have O'Neill odds on favourite to takeover, like every other vacancy in the past year, but I'm picking Mark Hughes as the man they will turn to. Granted both of them like to work with money, and short does have money, but I can see now Bruce has gone money being made available to the next guy in January to sign a midfielder and a striker. Sunderland as a squad are not that far off the rest, they've been unlucky more than anything, and there is a lot of potential in their squad.

I'm expecting that since this is the first sacking of the season, we will see at least one more in the next fortnight. If you said to me who deserves to be a Premier League manager more Steve Kean or Steve Bruce, I'd pick Bruce every time.

Nigel Adkins is an outside bet, surprisingly Steve McLaren is up at 20/1 but I'm guessing that will mostly be down to him residing in Yarm which is down the road from Sunderland and McLaren knows the North East.

Story: Steve Bruce sacked by Sunderland | Football News | ESPN.co.uk

Bruce 2 c Quinn b Ellis

Not suprising all all tbh

MON or Hughes will get the job imo

Meh. Dislike the pudgy ******, can't say I'm sad to see him go.

Seems like a MON club. Frankly, if Leicester didn't get him, I don't see many other clubs that would suit him. Hughes wouldn't be a bad fit either.

If i was to bet I'd go for Hughes.

To be honest, I want to see Alain Perrin get the job.

No real reason for it, I just want to know if he's still alive or not.

Lee Clark is up with the favourites... as a Newcastle fan, I'd love to see Clarky finish what Brucey started

I was thinking along the lines, serious suggestion this time, of Bob Bradley finally getting his chance in the Premier League?

justified in my eyes, they are struggling for goals and if you look at the strikers thay have left them since Bruce has been there i.e Jones, Bent and Gyan. Think its between O'Neil or Hughes who i think are both better man managers than Bruce.

Bah ****, he was doing so well for them...

Lee Clark is up with the favourites... as a Newcastle fan, I'd love to see Clarky finish what Brucey started

Lol, is he actually? Don't the bookies know the circumstances he was in when he left Sunderland during his playing career. Don't think Sunderland will even consider him.

Stop spamming else I'll give you a slap on Friday. On top of the one I've already got for after you try and hug me.

Still see Hughes getting it. Perfect club for O'Neill, but Hughes is the obvious candidate.

:wub:. I stand by both statements, would much rather see the the return of Benitez

Re: Perrin, what is he upto these days?

I'm sure he'll be back at a Premiership Club soon enough. Sadly.

:wub:. I stand by both statements, would much rather see the the return of Benitez

Re: Perrin, what is he upto these days?

Last I checked he was managing some Qatari club after being sacked by Saint-Etienne.

Carlo Ancelotti might be wanna come back to premier league :D

I think i should be given a shot at this job as i have twice managed to win the premiership with them on FM (10 and 11) and i also would accept a smaller wage than any others, maybe in the region of £5k a week :) furthermore, i am an accomplished user of the 'real time editor' which would allow me to bring messi, ronaldo, zlatan and tevez to the club. Hope Ellis Short reads this :)

Good to know Perrin is still alive. Next on my list is Jacques Santini...

If Howe's career had gone slightly better over the past year he would be right up there, he's stagnated a little at Burnley.

Not sure Clarke would take the job yet alone have it offered to him, they need a high profile manager who knows how to win games. They're not looking for pretty football they just want to stabilize the team, O'Neill would be perfect for the fans I'm sure but I just doubt he would take it.

Walter Smith is an absolute outside bet with some bookies, and if you fancy a real punt Alan Shearer is '100000-1'.