Sunday League Footballer to World Class Manager - Pentagon Challenge.

JMcQueen

Reaction score
Hey people, name's Josh. Now this is my story of starting off as a manager with "sunday league footballer" reputation and aiming to become a "world class" manager - but theres a twist. It's not just as simple as that, becase the main objective of this story, is to complete the pentagon challenge.

For people who's not aware of the Pentagon Challenge, is where you select five continents and aim to win all five "champions leagues" of each continent. It's not as easy as it sounds, trust me - especially when you start with sunday league footballer reputation and unemployed.

Well, thats it for the introduction folks, hope your ready for one **** of a ride and enjoy my story.

16i4o5.png

It Begins..

Alright - so i've decided to pick South Africa + Asia as the first two continents to start my journey at. Now by doing so, i've loaded up - Australia and South Korea for the Asia continent and ofcourse South Africa for its own continent. Now it was about trying to find my first job, with myself got only a low reputation as a sunday league footballer, I wasn't expecting much to come my way, but I was in for a small suprise.

r2mcdk.png

As you can see, I was quite suprised of exactly, how many jobs was available, but even more suprised at how many jobs came back for me. Out of the four I applied for, all four clubs offered me the position as manager. One of the teams where from South African first division, the second tier of African football. That team was the MP Black Aces, who was one of the favourites to get promoted that season to the top tier. Two of the clubs where from South Korean sides, from there seccond tier also - the NLeague. Those where, Incheon Korail and Gangneung City. Incheon Korail was also one of the favourites to go up this season aswell. The final team was Australian Hyundia A-League side Gold Coast United - who where in the top flight of Australian football.

So, as you can see I had some good offers to choose from and i've got to be honest - I really did take time to think it over, because it was clear I would be in this continent for at least a few years, but that was to be expected anyways. You cant go in expecting instant success, it's just not going to happen, if it does, it's always nice, but always better to be realistic with your aims. After much consideration, I finally decided on what club to begin my journey with and it may seem the obvious choice to some, but it just stuck out to me.

fkw8k7.png

Gold Coast United. I've got to be honest, it was just too good an offer to turn down - I mean in terms of transfer budgets, compared to the other sides there was a massive gap - for obvious reasons ofcourse. The stadium andd facilities where better and more importantly, they was already in the top flight of Australia, which meant I could possibly q
ualify for the Asian Champions League with-in my first season - but as I mentioned before, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Through all the positives, the club is expected to finish 9th, which is second bottom of the league, so it's clear some improvement needs to be done here.

Will follow this mate. Good luck. Check mine out when can.

10xvlth.png

Continent 1 - Asia
Country - Australia
Team - Gold Coast United

Ok, so it's time to get this journey began - now as ive previously mentioned, there will need to be some improvement at this club if we're looking to climb the table and qualify for the Asian Champions League, so instantly I dove straight into thhe transfer market to see if i can start improving my team, but things are alot different over in Australia and your quite limited to who you can sign.

For example, they have what they call a "marque" player, which is a player what can draw - popular name etc. But what i've realised is, pretty much any non-australian or reasonable name count as a "marque" player and your only allowed one "marque" player in your side, so I had to be very careful of what player I brought in. It had to be someone who would make an impact and I found one, a season long loan of John Sutton.

dwap01.png

2wrf7ti.png

He has proved just that - an impact! John Sutton throughout the pre-season scored nine goals, bagging himself two hat-tricks aswell. It seems he could be a big factor in our season
with the goals we score. Although Sutton isn't the only signing I brought in, I also signed Joel Epalle on a free transfer for more cover in centre midfield, but also brings good experiance aswell. Is a quality player and seems to be a big name aswell. The next signing was Sasa Ognenovski who was a better centre back than we currently had, and at just 20k - it was too hard to turn down.

Now just like any every league or country, theres always a pre-season. We had an excellent pre-season, winning all of our games which meant we will be heading into the season with a 100% record. We scored alot of goals, kept clean sheets and had overall fantastic performances and just look strong and ready to go ahead with the new season.

168d76a.png

Out of all the performances though, the one to myself which really would prove we was ready to go, was the game against fellow league competitors Brisbane Roar FC. Current league champions and favourites to win the league again, this was the game what would show me where my team is and exactly how ready we are for the new season ahead.

4q51tk.png

Boy oh boy, I would say we're ready for the new season. With just a week before the new season, we defeat the current league champions in a friendly, to set us up in a massive high heading into the new season. We was a team who the media predicted to finish 9th this season, but maybe Im getting ahead of myself - but I expect a much bigger season than that.

In one week, I will begin my quest to qualify for the Asian Champions League. To qualify for it? I only have to be the top team in Australia, which means win the league. Sounds simple right? Yeah, right - but if your not aware the Australian League is far different than any league you may be aware of. After the end of the league games, the top six teams qualify for a Finals Series. The higher you finish, the later you enter the series..so qualification just may, just may be possible this season.

Ive done exactly the same as you with the Pentagon Challenge! It's easier than you think as i managed to win the league comfortably with Gold Coast (and with no marquee player!!!). Im now in the semi final of the bit at the end of the season and if i win this, then champo league is mine!

EDIT: comfortably won the play off thingy, bring on next year!

:D

Last edited: