davelewislfc

Reaction score
Hi guys

Got promoted with Southport from the Blue Square Prem to Division 2 in my first season. Finished 5th in the League but won the playoff final on pens. Signed a couple more decent free transfers and thought I'd be ok to survive in division 2.

So far though I'm getting hammered. Laying 2nd bottom but in danger of being cast adrift of the pack. Even against teams I should be beating I'm not even getting near the goal. Some games, no matter what formation or tactic I try 'm not even having a shot!

I've tried more detailed tactics using player instructions but is that worth it considering the standard of my players? When we do use them we seem to play worse :S

Has anyone got any advice really? Not after a super tactic that will win every game, although I doubt one exists, just some advice. Am I better off keeping it simple? Play narrow? Wide? High? Deep etc

Fairly new to FM, used to play years ago when it was Champ Manager but this if the first FM i've had and it seems much more complex

Cheers....David

Hi guys
I've tried more detailed tactics using player instructions but is that worth it considering the standard of my players? When we do use them we seem to play worse :S

With the standard of players at your disposal, it would be tactical suicide to play a more detailed customized formation. The players are just not good enough to be able to play free-flowing-football.

Have you been chopping and changing the team much? too many signing over a short period of time? Is you Starting XI much different from the team that got you promoted? In league 1/2 and conference, ive found that simple tactics are most effective for results but you have to be willing to stick to a formation and keep tactical consistency (even if its not bringing you in fantastic results) so that the payers can get used to the tactics and be able to gel.

Thanks for the reply. Managed to get turn around the results. I think the combination of several new players and new tactics meant they didn't know what they were doing. Once they got used to the tactics the results started to come. Climbed the table to finish 10th playing some nice football too!

With the standard of players at your disposal, it would be tactical suicide to play a more detailed customized formation. The players are just not good enough to be able to play free-flowing-football.

Not true.
Check out my project Guiseley thread.
It details my 4-3-3 Lionheart tactic which is a very fast paced (yet admitedly rigid ) tactic.

I also use a more complex 4-1-3-2 and 4-2-2-2 which I will gladly share if people are interested.

I will conceed however that the key to any strat is the players. At lower league you really need to troil through those free transfers and a good player search can take a number of hours.