Terraria

Cal.

≡
Reaction score
Noticed there's no Terraria thread, so decided to make one.

terlogo.png

A recently released game from a small independent studio similar to Minecraft survival crossed with retro Zelda games, with the focus more on action then creation, although it still has plenty of creative potential. It's available for £6 ($10) on Steam, or as a 4-pack for £18, and has been one of the most played games on Steam since it's launch on 16th May. It features support for both single player and multiplayer co-op or PvP, which characters being fully transferable between servers, and servers holding up to 8 players at a time with full drop-in drop-out functionality. The game features progression from wood based items through to various grades of metals up to space age technology such as 'phaseblades' (lightsabers) and laser pistols.

0Kbs5l.jpg

I'll post the wiki descriptions here to give you a better idea of what exactly it is. The developer Q&A/FAQ can be found here.

Wikipedia said:
Terraria is noted for its similarity to Minecraft and classic Square Enix titles such as Final Fantasy. Basic gameplay features day/night cycles, aggressive nocturnal attackers, world-building elements and character advancement based on increases to health/mana and equipment found while exploring. The game has a graphical anime style reminiscent to the 16-bit sprites found in video games released for the SNES.

Beyond basic gameplay features, Terraria has several elements not present in the games it takes its inspiration from. By completing specific goals, players can attract NPC merchants to occupy structures they have built, and may then buy equipment with coins gained from defeating monsters.

Random events may also occur in the course of play, such as the Blood Moon, which increases the number of monsters out at night and allows zombies to open doors to the players home, and the goblin invasion, which sends a goblin army to attack player structures. Events can also be caused by destroying orbs in evil map areas and using items near altars.

Players may also summon powerful boss monsters such as the Eye of Cthulu and Skeletron, who drop rare magic items and crafting materials. The developers plan to offer free content updates in the future.

0sqNC.png

Below is the trailer:

[video=youtube;w7uOhFTrrq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7uOhFTrrq0&feature=player_embedded[/video]​

If you want to see more gameplay, but in co-op, two of the developers (almost half the team) have made a series of "Let's Play" videos on youtube.

I highly recommend this game, it's exclusive to Steam at the moment and can be bought for either £6, or £18 for a 4-pack. Clicky.

Looks like a pretty cool game. I wonder if they are thinking of making it Mac compatible.

Looks like a pretty cool game. I wonder if they are thinking of making it Mac compatible.

It's built using Microsoft XNA, not heard anything about a Mac compatible version, but there should be 360 Live Arcade and iOS versions coming up. It's only been in development for ~5 months though, and as far as I can tell there are only 5-6 developers.

Unreal game, but its soo hard to find people to play with, most of my friends would not drop cod bops or fifa 11 for anything, if anyone fancies playing online just add my Skype... James Richard Beverley

Unreal game, but its soo hard to find people to play with, most of my friends would not drop cod bops or fifa 11 for anything, if anyone fancies playing online just add my Skype... James Richard Beverley

Once you do find someone it gets a lot more addictive. Recently convinced a friend to go for it, and we've racked up 25+ hours already.

Picked this up in the Steam Summer Sale recently, paid £4.39 for the 4 Pack. Absolute bargain, really loving it so far. I spend most of my time just building random tunnels everywhere, not too bothered with progressing through the game at the moment but I've killed Eye of Cthulu three times now and slowly working towards the next bosses.

I have a boomerang.

Awesome!

---------- Post added 17/07/2011 at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was 16/07/2011 at 04:33 PM ----------

Really fun game, I used to get bored of Minecraft easily, but not Terraria.

I'd recommend it if you can get for a good price.

Enchanted boomerang and hookshot for the win! I feel like I'm playing Zelda.

Just picked it up for cheap.

Anyone want to play multiplayer? Can't really stand to do much single player

For £2.99, can't really go wrong. :)

Gunna download and play, will let you know if/when I am confident enough to multi player it :p

If you play TF2, You could get it for free. New beta trade lets you trade games now in Steam chat.

I have to say, after only playing for a hour or so, learning what to do, it's really fun :)

Bought it yesterday, haven't played it much but from what I had played it was quite enjoyable.

I've got a good 3 hours or so I can play right now if anyone is interested

[video=youtube;Azq5IOrFtEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Azq5IOrFtEI[/video]