The Almost Great Vaduz/Liechtenstein Challenge

kandersson

Reaction score
As a fan of these club/nation challenges, I thought I'd sponsor this one too. Let's face it there's only one Great San Marino Challenge, but Vaduz/Liechtenstein is not bad either.

Once again, your goal is to take the club to national and continental success and improve club's status, reputation, finances and facilities in order to produce better players for the national team and make Liechtenstein a respectable NT.

Like San Marino, Vaduz competes in the bottom playable tier of a bigger, foreign country - Swiss Challenge League (2nd tier). And like San Marino they start with very little money in the bank, modest facilities and no youth academy.

The national sides share some similarities as well, both counting on a good GK (Vaduz's own Peter Jehle) and a veteran star striker (Mario Frick). Though I must say Liechtenstein boasts a much better overall quality, with a few decent defenders and midfielders (don't get too excited though, still 149th in World ranking)

All déja vu? Well there's actually a very unique feat about Vaduz which I find quite cool: they're automatically assigned an Europa League spot every year as Liechtenstein Cup holders (not playable in the game, you're considered automatic winner), not bad for a mid-table team of Swiss 2nd tier! As a result Vaduz don't enter the Swiss Cup, not a big deal though you can always consider Europa League as your local cup competition...

Things look like this at the start of the game:

View attachment 167965 View attachment 167968 View attachment 167966
View attachment 167967 View attachment 167964 View attachment 167977
View attachment 167972 View attachment 167973 View attachment 167974

If you have some experience with LLM and free tranfers you should be ready to compete immediately for promotion. If you can make some profit from Europa League and sells/friendlies you could soon start academy/facilities works as well.

I think making Vaduz a perennial contender in Super League (Swiss top tier) shouldn't take much time (4-5 seasons should do). Making them a Champions League contender will be much more complicated. Making Liechtenstein a respectable national team... we'll see :p

I've already finished my first season managing both club and country, will start posting updates if the thread picks up some interest like the San Marino one.

As it is an open challenge without limits of time or results, I'd like to see how far you people can take both Vaduz and Liechtenstein.

I had great success with San Marino club back then, but was unable to really develop the NT and local youth (actually never got the job, and got stuck in a bug with the academy: both issues already solved in this challenge (H))

I'm particularly interested in any progress with the national team and regens from your youth set up, but you can also schock me with a Challenge League/Europa League double in first season :p

Any experience, idea, question or comment you want to share are always welcome.

IMPORTANT

Maybe it's just my game, but there seems to be an issue with 11.3 database that doesn't allow to manage the Liechtenstein national team: it simply won't appear in the game even if you load all players of that nationality (which usually works for any nation). So you'll need to start the game with 11.2 database and load all players of Liechtenstein nationality. Don't worry though, it's just the database so your game and ME will still be 11.3. Also I suggest to take control of the NT team straight away and then apply for Vaduz, you will most likely get the job (add another manager then retire him), as in a past save I found the NT would again "disappear" after first season which led me to restart oO)

Last edited:
Seems nice challenge. Might give it a try after exams.

I was wondering is there the gain nationality thing with Liechtenstein or is it same as San Marino that you can't get that 2nd nationality.

Seems nice challenge. Might give it a try after exams.

I was wondering is there the gain nationality thing with Liechtenstein or is it same as San Marino that you can't get that 2nd nationality.

good question, and yes after 5 years spent in Liechtenstein players can ask for nationality. I have lots of good foreign youngsters who will likely never get a chance with their nations (like Italy and Uruguay), hopefully some of them will accept a call up for Liechtenstein someday...

Nice. I did one long term save with Finland and HJK and bought lots of good brazilians. The 5 years is long time, but by the time they get nationality they are fully developed to NT.

Sounds interesting, currently doing the SM/NT challenge, I think I'll be having a go at this when I get bored (a long time yet, but think to the future) or after my exams.

Im hoping next week ill be in this challenge too :)

Hope to see some of you guys getting into a long term save with this. Would be cool to really develop a rubbish NT into a World Cup contender. My only win so far is a friendly against Kyrgzistan (spelling), which btw was ranked higher than us :p

Playing Europa League in first seasons is fun too, you can have some unlikely runs if you're lucky with the draw. Had a great run in my very first year, while in 2nd season I picked Barcelona in the early rounds :S **** what were they doing in Europa League???

think i will do this instead of SM one as I like having europe all the time

think i will do this instead of SM one as I like having europe all the time

It's quite cool actually, though you should soon be able to earn european spots via the swiss league.

i'm having fun playing this challenge so far, except for the ridiculously long winter break which btw is a big source of financial profit as I arrange tons of friendlies against billionaire clubs from Oceania (they must be billionaires to pay me those shocking fees...)

the NT is not that atrocious too (certainly nowhere near San Marino), I obviously got spanked most of times but managed some very respectable results like these:

View attachment 168294 View attachment 168292 View attachment 168293

Game against Czech was probably not pretty to watch for the neutral fan (ok probably ugliest game ever), but what a great result for us (and they only scored on a corner). Tajikistan is rubbish and probably much worse than us, ranked much much higher though (we're 160ish right now sigh), some world class finishing gave us our biggest win in history (H)

Last edited:
Think I'm gonna take this on but have you found a way to manager the national team on 11.3 I don't really wanna go back to 11.2 after establishing tactics etc.

Think I'm gonna take this on but have you found a way to manager the national team on 11.3 I don't really wanna go back to 11.2 after establishing tactics etc.

You won't have that problem in any case: when you select database 11.2 that won't affect the ME or the game itself, which will still be 11.3 (game status will confirm that), I'm 100% sure about this

only thing that will change are squads and transfers, back before january (eg Fernando Torres still at Liverpool) not much of an issue for Swiss leagues.

But since you get an automatic Europa league spot every season- how about when you get into the Champions League?

But since you get an automatic Europa league spot every season- how about when you get into the Champions League?

Unfortunately I just found out the answer: despite winning Super League (swiss top tier) we still qualified for Europa League, which once again led me to quit a save just when i was really getting into it.

I guess it's a bug, I asked on SI games forum and got no answer yet. I had previously spoken to a Swiss researcher who told me Vaduz didn't actually get an automatic spot for Euro Cup: the Liechtenstein club with better reputation/league position gets it (of course it tends to be Vaduz as the others start in lower leagues, like 3rd or 4th tier)

I'll post my results later, too bad this challenge is already over for me :S

Last edited:
Well that kind of sucks I'm prob just gonna quit now too if I can't reach champions league football. Is there anything we can change in the editor or grow the reputation of country/club/league?

Well that kind of sucks I'm prob just gonna quit now too if I can't reach champions league football. Is there anything we can change in the editor or grow the reputation of country/club/league?

it really sucks as the main point of this challenge is improving club reputation, finances and recruitment to develop the NT, and playing CL football is a key part of that.

I think you could use some real time editor to solve this issue, unfortunately I can't help you with that as I know absolutely nothing about editing etc

Seems like everytime I try getting into these club/NT challenges something happens that makes me quit. So frustrating.

OK so I had official confirmation from people at SI that Vaduz can't qualify for european competions via Swiss league, and this happens in the game as well as in real life so Vaduz are eternally stuck in Euro Cup. Which basically ended the challenge for me, can't blame SI for this though :p

I played 2 seasons, quite a short time to see any improvement in the national team while I had great success with the club. My results:

Season 2010/11

View attachment 169199 View attachment 169196 View attachment 169195

Season 2011/12

View attachment 169194 View attachment 169207 View attachment 169204

Quality of my squad was simply illegal for Swiss 2nd tier, and apparently wasn't too bad for Super League standard too. Would have liked to go deeper with this save, all I was asking was that CL spot that we more than earned on the football pitch.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it works these days but if you were to win the europa league would you not automatically qualify for the champions league?

Prefer this to the San marino one because i've been to Leichtenstein! :p

Won the Challenge league my first season, promoted, notable results for the country include a friendly win vs. Estonia and 2 draws with lithuania in euro qualifiers. I'm in the midst of my second season, and on october 1 I am in 8th in the super league, i'd like to do better. I'll have a proper update when the season ends.