Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arsene Wenger

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters

maxy67

Reaction score
I've decided to create a poll to decide who people think is the best manager ever.

In my selection of the shortlist (of which I hope everyone agrees with?) I've taken into account both success in trophies and medals as well as tactical innovations, and have tried to take into account both modern and old together. So José Mourinho will be alongside Rinus Michels (the man behind total football) and Herbert Chapman (the Arsenal coach who created the WM)

For a summary of tactics through the ages I've written it down here~ http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...9-history-tactics-links-tactics-included.html

If you think its someone else- could you write his name below?

Last edited:
Ok not going to make anymore changes to this thread

My bet is on Alex Fergurson to top the poll.

Alex Ferguson
Bill Paisley
Bill Shankly
Walter Smith
Bill Struth
Jock Stein
Matt Busby

In no particular order they are the best managers imo

Alex Ferguson
Bill Paisley
Bill Shankly
Walter Smith
Bill Struth
Jock Stein
Matt Busby

I think you should change that to the best in the UK, because you're doing the rest of the world quite a disservice!

I think managers have to be rated on a number of critical areas (* Success * Longevity * Tactical Ingenuity * Man Management etc) plus other less significant areas (* Transfer Successes * Media Manipulation * Success At Numerous Clubs * Youth Development etc).

To be the overall best manager ever the majority of areas must be met fairly consistently. Brian Clough, for example, was one of the greatest at man management and had short term successes at numerous clubs but failed a little on longevity and sustained success as he struggled to rebuild his teams. Overall, it's difficult to look past Ferguson and Guardiola of the modern era, and Michels and Herrera.

I'm going to have to go with Rinus Michels just because he was a tactical innovator and won with style, transforming football into an art form and playing the game how it should be played.

Last edited:
I think you should change that to the best in the UK, because you're doing the rest of the world quite a disservice!

Not Really all those managers have managed there respective clubs at the very height off there success so i don't think i'm doing the rest of the world a disservice and i did say in my opinion and the clubs they managed are some of the biggest in the world

Alex Ferguson
Bill Paisley
Bill Shankly
Walter Smith
Bill Struth
Jock Stein
Matt Busby

When i was writing the list i noticed that the most of the successful managers were from either scotland or italy.

I think managers have to be rated on a number of critical areas (* Success * Longevity * Tactical Ingenuity * Man Management etc) plus other less significant areas (* Transfer Successes * Media Manipulation * Success At Numerous Clubs * Youth Development etc).

To be the overall best manager ever the majority of areas must be met fairly consistently. Brian Clough, for example, was one of the greatest at man management and had short term successes at numerous clubs but failed a little on longevity and sustained success as he struggled to rebuild his teams. Overall, it's difficult to look past Ferguson and Guardiola of the modern era, and Michels and Herrera.

I'm going to have to go with Rinus Michels just because he was a tactical innovator and won with style, transforming football into an art form and playing the gane how it should be played.

Great choice, I picked herrera and would have put michels or jock stein 2nd. Clough awesome as well.

Top 10 must be:
- Alex Ferguson
- Helenio Herrera
- Otmarr Hietzfeld
- Giovanni Trapattoni
- Brian Clough.
- Bob Paisley
- Valeri Lobanovskiy
- Miguel Munoz
- Jose Mourinho
- Jock Stein

But I voted for Cruyff since his influence was bigger than the prices he won (Trophies 1 Champions League; 2 Cup Winners Cups; 4 Spanish titles, 3 domestic cups) and because I am Dutch like he is.

I honestly can't decide. Right now Fergie is unquestionably the best manager ever. But I've been watching footie 28 years and seen a fair few legends....which is why I can't make my mind up.

Ferguson for me
and Ottmar Hitzfeld even tho hes not on the list

Had to vote for Fergie.

Whilst he has had some transfer howlers, alot of them have been superb.

His continued longevity in Man Utd, his management of young players and the wins at Aberdeen add to this.

Guardiola COULD be a great manager, but let's see what happens if/when he moves from Barca, or the key players leave (for whatever reason, retiring, etc).

Bill Nicholson because I am biased. Not in the poll I know but how the **** could you leave him off the list.

The first manager to win the double in the 20th century. The first manager to win an european trophy with a british team.

Had to vote for Fergie.

Whilst he has had some transfer howlers, alot of them have been superb.

His continued longevity in Man Utd, his management of young players and the wins at Aberdeen add to this.

Guardiola COULD be a great manager, but let's see what happens if/when he moves from Barca, or the key players leave (for whatever reason, retiring, etc).

If Guardiola wins another european cup that would be pretty impressive. I most admire how Fergie builds great teams over and over again.