Allardyce dismisses Murphy claims

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce denies Danny Murphy's suggestion his side are dirty and called upon the Fulham midfielder to apologise.

More...

here's the full article for you to read

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce has denied Danny Murphy's suggestion his side are dirty and called on the Fulham midfielder to apologise.
Rovers were one of three teams named by Murphy when he said some bosses send their players out too fired up.
"We are not like that and certainly me, this football club or the players have nothing to do with the suggestions that were made by Danny," said Allardyce.
"We are physical when we need to be but we don't play dirty and never have."
Asked if Murphy should apologise, Allardyce said: "If he's man enough that's what he should do, yes."
Allardyce pointed to statistics to prove his side are not dirty - Rovers are currently fourth in the disciplinary table having amassed 11 bookings and no red cards this season.
"It should go out there what the real facts are. The statistics back it up," said Allardyce.
"We don't feel the need to be publicising every day where we are in the Fair Play table but when somebody throws an allegation at you like that you have got to defend it.
"I think this is the best disciplinary here for five years. I think I've reduced the bookings ratio to about one and a half a game from just over two under previous managers and our sending off ratio is very, very good indeed.
"In fact the whole of this calendar year we have only had one player sent off in the Premier League which was Chris Samba at Stoke and all those that were there knew he shouldn't have been sent off in that game.
"So we're not going out to try to injury players and we take great exception to anybody that suggests that."
Earlier this month, Murphy suggested Blackburn, Stoke and Wolves were adopting overly physical tactics to prevent other teams playing, and that such an approach was resulting in "ridiculous" and "brainless" tackles.
Allardyce claimed Murphy's assertions reinforce a public view of him and his side that is not true.
"The perception of Blackburn Rovers is the wrong one, in many, many cases and we have to live with it," said Allardyce. "The perception of Sam Allardyce is the wrong one, but I have to live with it.
"I don't quite know why he said it, you would have to ask him that, but it created a huge stir around the media world for a few days and unfortunately we have to say he's nothing but completely wrong in his suggestions regarding Blackburn Rovers being anything other than good professionals who do the job honestly and who are committed.
"We've said what we need to say and we need to move on. We've got a very important game against Sunderland and for me I hope that perception doesn't continue, because that is what it is, it's a perception not a reality.
"We never do that as a football club, I don't do it as a manager and the players certainly don't do it as professionals and I think everybody takes a dim view of what was said."

he provided the facts in the interview so Sam is 100% correct. Makes Murphy look pretty bad if you ask me.

Danny's decided to make a few friends I see, won't be that popular with his fellow Managers if he ever becomes one.

he provided the facts in the interview so Sam is 100% correct. Makes Murphy look pretty bad if you ask me.

I know but if someone said Blackburn FC you would think hard tacklers

They have got a very defensive outlook and you need to have good tacklers in the side, big fan of Sam to be honest. Might cause a stir.|)

I know but if someone said Blackburn FC you would think hard tacklers

Yer but its the facts that you should look at first, Murphy has come out and said this and its proven that its not true so it makes him look stupid. Also it is tottaly disrespectful to Blackburn, Murphy should be careful in future.