Will Premier League Promotion Benefit My Team Financially? [Portsmouth FC]

JDon90

Reaction score
So I was lucky enough be promoted into the Championship after my 1st season with Portsmouth FC through the playoff's, and now in my 2nd season I am 6 games away from the finish line, sitting in 2nd place.

Unfortunately the club has not been bought out by a wealthy businessman...so my financial situation is still not great despite lowering my wage bill (maybe my managing skills will attract one?!)

My question is, will it benefit the club if I gain promotion into the premier league given my current financial situation? Or, should I purposely ruin my teams promotion chance in order to better prepare my club for next season?

For instance, will I receive a decent amount of prize money for being promoted?
Even if the team is relegated after 1 season within the premiership, will the financial benefits be worth it? (tv revenue, ticket sales etc)

Lastly, should I sell one of my key players, Lubomir Michalik for 2.1 Million Pounds? At 30 years old he has picked up the most 'Man of the Match' within the Championship and also has the best form/average rating within the Championship. Obviously for these reasons his value has skyrocketed.

If an offer comes through for him, should I sell him?
Should I put him on the transfer list or not?
Should I try to increase my percentage of transfer revenue before accepting an offer for him? (currently 20%)

TV revenue from the Prem alone helped my Oxford United team grow when I made it to the Premiership, after three fruitless seasons stuck in the Championship. So yeah, even if you get relegated straightaway, you'll have got more money in that one season than you would having a half decent season stuck in the Championship again. I can't remember exact values now as this game was a while ago now, but gate receipts and TV revenue from home games against Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal etc were mindboggling for a club like Oxford. First season was the most difficult, but if you can survive, establishing yourself as a true Premier League team gets easier after a couple of seasons.

As for Michalik, I'd wait and see what kind of players you can get in first, but it may not be a bad idea to sell. Things change when you get to the Prem. Maybe look and see who you can get on loan now, if finances are still a problem in the beginning. I'd assume the club's reputation will increase, so you should have better players more interested in joining.

One important thing you need to do is once you're promoted give you're players a relegation wage drop.

FYI promotion to the prem is probably worth circa 60million at an estimate. 40 odd from tv revenue and then the rest from an increased fan base, ticket prices etc etc etc.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I thought I should share the conlusion to my season after so much interest in the thread.

As it turned out, I managed to finish 4th overall, securing a playoff spot. Cardiff won the league and Burnley came second (I would have come second if i had of beaten Bolton in the final match of the season, rather than drawn)

I was picked to face arch-rivals Southampton in the playoffs, firstly drawing 0-0 away form home, and then luckily pulling off a 3-2 home victory! The win over Southampton sent my team to Wembley to face Bristol City in the final (who beat Swansea in the playoffs) and we managed to secure a dramatic 2-1 victory after going down at half time, propelling Portsmouth FC into the premiership once again!

I've not started the new seasn yet, but my transfer/wage budgets have been released to me.
I have been given a 15million pound transfer budget, and a 65k wage budget. This is a massive step up from last season...hopefully I can begin to rebuilt the club in my image now!

Oh, I also became manager of the season, Lubomir Michalik became Championship player of the season, and Luke James became young player of the season!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I thought I should share the conlusion to my season after so much interest in the thread.

As it turned out, I managed to finish 4th overall, securing a playoff spot. Cardiff won the league and Burnley came second (I would have come second if i had of beaten Bolton in the final match of the season, rather than drawn)

I was picked to face arch-rivals Southampton in the playoffs, firstly drawing 0-0 away form home, and then luckily pulling off a 3-2 home victory! The win over Southampton sent my team to Wembley to face Bristol City in the final (who beat Swansea in the playoffs) and we managed to secure a dramatic 2-1 victory after going down at half time, propelling Portsmouth FC into the premiership once again!

I've not started the new seasn yet, but my transfer/wage budgets have been released to me.
I have been given a 15million pound transfer budget, and a 65k wage budget. This is a massive step up from last season...hopefully I can begin to rebuilt the club in my image now!

Oh, I also became manager of the season, Lubomir Michalik became Championship player of the season, and Luke James became young player of the season!

nice one, fun begins now...