The First Ever Wheelchair Bound Professional Manager!

samson878

Reaction score
Sam Cunningham - Making History

Having never been able to play football as a child, I have always dreamt of managing a team. I always imagined my local Sunday League team would be as far as it ever went however this all changed in the middle of May 2011. I woke up to find an email from Kit Symons the Scout for Sillsport Group. He had heard of my endeavours with Weybridge F.C. and wanted me to come for an interview with Neil Sillet the Director.

I drove down to East Grinstead, where the Sillsport HQ was based. I waited for what seemed like an eternity, with my stomach churning and unable to keep my fingers from fiddling. Finally, I was called in to Mr Sillets' Office. He was sat at a large Oak desk waiting for me to cross the expansive room. He started to discuss my previous roles at Weybridge F.C. and asked me why I decided to go the route of a football manager unlike many other wheelchair users who end up with desk jobs. Before I could answer, a man with a slim build and greying sideburns burst into the room. It was Kit Symons. Finally, with Kit there we began to discuss in detail there proposal for me. It seems they felt that I had the potential to go far in the world of management, if I were to be given the right support.

I came out of that meeting having signed a contract to be represented by Sillsport Group and having been told I am signed up to complete my UEFA 'B' License.

By June I had completed my UEFA 'B' License and Mr Sillet had started the search for a job!

As I had kind of expected the search for a club was not particularly fruitful as many clubs were unsure as how someone who has never played the game could manage a team to glory.

On July 15th Kit phoned me after dinner and explained that there was a club who wanted to meet me and see me run a coaching session with there team. I flew off to Spain that night!

Kit met me at the airport and took me to the hotel. On the journey to the hotel Kit explained to me about the league and the club.

The Training Session

The Training Session

By the time we reached the training grounds Kit had explained to me about the club in detail. They were in the Spanish Second Division B Group 2. Even though they had a proud history ranging back since 1921, they have been yoyo-ing up and down between Liga BBVA and Liga Adelante. Only recently, in the 08/09 season did they get relegated into the Spanish Second Division B.

It appears they are in need of a manager due to there previous manager, Luis De la Fuente deciding management wasn't what he wanted to do anymore. Even though I was an unknown quantity to them Neil must have been very persuasive and managed to get me this chance!

I went into the dressing room to find 26 players sat there, clearly not expecting the person who came through the door. Instantly, small pockets of chat began. No doubt about me and how I could coach a professional team. I blew the horn on my wheelchair, they all sat up startled and I had there undivided attention. We went out onto the field and started to get them to warmup. After 20 minutes I split them into two teams and got them to play a quick 30 minute match for me to guage there skill level. Having done this I left the rest of the coaches to finish the session.

I was called over by Kike Alonso, Alaves' Director of Football. We discussed what we both saw as the future of the club in our eyes. Kike expected the club to get back into Liga Adelante within two seasons and into Liga BBVA within 6. However, I was a bit more ambitious and had full belief that this team could get straight into Liga Adelante this season and into Liga BBV within 4 more after that. I explained to him that the Spanish Cup would not be of interest to me until we reached Liga Adelante. He seemed fine with that and seemed animated by my excitement and my enthusiasm.

That night I flew back home with Kit. He seemed to have the same level of excitement as myself. The session must have gone well!

A few days later and I had still heard nothing from Neil, Kit or Alaves. I started to think the job was gone. I had blown it...

Then Neil phoned. "Sam, Kike was overjoyed with your enthusiasm and has made an offer! They are willing to pay you £1,800 a week until 2013! If you accept they want you there by the 23rd of the month!"

"Of course I accept! Wow..."

I put the phone down and was in shock! I had done it, my first ever professional job in management.

While I was packing my brother rang me and said to look on Sky Sports News. I flicked on my tv and there it was! I had made history with Alaves.
wheelchairboundmanager4fmstory.jpg

Last edited:
Pre Season

Pre Season

When I arrived at the grounds I was told that due to the financial status and leageu we are in. I would have no financial backing what so ever this season. If anything I had to let a few people go in order to balance the wages. This doesnt faze me as I am used to working with the squad I have at Weybridge where of course there were no funds.

The first I did was too take a look at all the players and decide who was not needed. We had the required depth and quality in most positions to challenge for the title and thus I felt confident. However, we had two goalkeepers on loan who were frankly no use to the first team and thus I terminated their loans and they went back to their respective clubs. Alex from Zaragoza and Angel Diez from Rayo. To replace these two loanees I brought in Biel Ribas on a free transfer. Originally I had him planned as cover for my No.1 Goalkeeper David Rangel but I soon decided that Ribas should be my first choice keeper due to some outstanding pre season performances.

The following were our performances in pre season:

Alaves 2 - 0 Alaves B

Alaves 0 - 1 Hannover

RC Waregem 0 - 6 Alaves

US Creteil-Lusitanos 0 - 3 Alaves

Orihuela 1 - 1 Alaves

Alaves 1 - 0 Vicenza

Alaves 1 - 2 Valladoid

I was very pleased with the results against Hannover and Valladoid even though they were losses they were very closely fought and considering the gap in skill between our team and theres to come so close is a great achievement in pre season.

Ribas is the only signing I intend to make before January if not the end of the season. I have been drawn in the Spanish Cup 2nd Round against my biggest league title rival Salamanca who are expected to win the league.

Is what me? The story is based around my dream yeah. If thats what your asking.

The start of the season

The start of the season!

Having played so well in pre season I was eager to get the team off to a great start in the league. This started off well with us winning 3 league games in a row. However we had to play our Spanish Cup 2nd Round match after our 2nd league game. This game was going to be tough. It is against our league title rivals Salamanca.

The game was incredibly close fought. Salamanca go the first goal with Javi Hernandez on the 36th minute. However we pegged them back within minutes thanks to Javi Casares. The game soon went stale and no goals were scored in normal time. When it came to extra time, although there were plenty of chances for both sides. However come the final whistle it was still 1 - 1. It all came down to penalties...

Sendoa scored! 1 - 0 to Alaves!
Igor scored! 1 - 1 All tied!
Luis Prieto scored! 2 - 1 to Alaves!
Iban Cuadrado scored! 2 - 2 All tied!
Bernabe saved Geni's shot! 2 - 2 All tied!
Marquez kicks it well above the crossbar! 2 - 2 All tied!
Azkorra put it wide! 2 - 2 Still tied!
Munoz scored! 2 - 3 to Salamanca!
Quintanilla scores! 3 - 3 All tied again!
Lempereur scores! 3 - 4 Salamanca take the game on penalties!

Even though we lost I was very pleased with the way we played against the team predicted to place top in the league! During normal time we had more shots on target by them and thus could have taken the win if luck had been on our side. The board were disappointed that we were out of the Spanish Cup already however they understood why we lost.

We then lost our next two league games to Real Sociedad 'B' and Lemona. During our last 5 league games we took 4 red cards. It seems that discipline was an issue and in my opinion the reason we lost to Real Sociedad 'B'. Due to this I had a harsh talk with the team and let them know my position on discipline. Since that 'discussion' we have not picked up a red card in our 4 next games and as such we won all 4 of them in convincing fashion. I am especially proud of our win over Salamanca 3 - 2 away! The results have put us in first place joint with Guijuelo. I am hoping we can keep the place and take the title at the end of the season!

Here is a list of our matches:

Alaves 2 - 1 Ponferradina

Gimnastica 1 - 4 Alaves

Alaves 1 - 1 (p) Salamanca (Spanish Cup)

Amorebieta 1 - 3 Alaves

Alaves 0 - 1 Real Sociedad 'B'

Lemona 2 - 1 Alaves

Alaves 3 - 1 U.D. Logrones

Salamanca 2 - 3 Alaves

Arandina 0 - 3 Alaves

Alaves 2 - 0 Segoviana