The Jamie Carragher Story - Chapter 1: Mending Broken Hearts

PaiMei

Reaction score
The media room hums with the busy movements and the intrigue of journalists as they make their last preparations and take their seats before the press conference begins. After a minute or so of silence that is only broken by the some whispers among the media awaiting the beginning of the press conference, a tall woman with golden hair, blue eyes walks out from the back and stands in front of the table that sits in front of the sea of journalists. All the members of the media sit up and begin to pay attention as the woman speaks

Rose McLinden [Media Rep]: Good morning everyone, thank you for your patience. The conference will begin in about two minutes. I just want to set some rules before we get started. We will not be taking questions or answering questions just yet about the departure of Robbie Neilson. We respect Robbie's wishes to privacy and we hope that you do to. Rest assured all of your questions will be answered in due time.

During her pause, Rose looks around the room looking for objections, not that they'd matter but she scans the room quickly before promptly moving onto her second and final point.

Rose McLinden [Media Rep]: Lastly this is not going to be an extensive conference. The purpose of today is to keep our loyal fans in the loop of what's going on and briefly introduce you all to Mr Carragher. So if your question doesn't get answered today please rest assured there will be plenty of opportunities in the near future.

Rose does a final scan to see if there are indeed questions. After seeing no hands shoot up, Rose nods to the crowd of media and turns on her heel and heads to the back area. After a few moments the chairwoman of Hearts, Ann Budge makes her way out front and is followed closely behind by the man everyone has come out to see today, the new Hearts manager, Jamie Carragher. Jamie walks out in a crisp suit with a big smile on his face. He and Ann both stand before the media for a few photos which the media quickly oblige. The snapping sound of cameras taking photos fills the room before Ann and Jamie both take a seat.

Ann Budge [Chairwoman]:First of all I'd like to thank you all for coming out this morning. This is a big day for our club, me personally and the whole Hearts family. I just want to touch on what Ms McLinden mentioned earlier. We will not be commenting on Robbie's departure in any capacity today. Instead today lets focus on the exciting news and what it means for this great club. I'll hand the floor over to Jamie to address you then we will begin with the questions.

Jamie adjusts his tie and clears his throat before he leans into the desk and begins speaking.

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: Good morning everyone. First of all I just wanted to thank Ann and the Hearts family for this amazing opportunity and secondly I'd like to thank you all for coming out today. This is a special day for me and I'm delighted to be here.

Jamie pauses for a moment allowing the question to begin and it doesn't take long.

Harry Knight [Journalist]: This one is for Mrs Budge. When did this all begin, when did you know that Mr Nielson was going to move on and when did you approach Mr Carragher and has he been on your radar for long?

Ann Budge [Chairwoman]: The situation developed very quickly and we had to respond quickly. We had heard on the grapevine that Jamie had been putting his feelers out there for jobs before this pandemic so we approached him and now here he sits.

The same journalist quickly follows up with another question, this time for Jamie.

Harry Knight [Journalist]: This one is for Mr Carragher. Some have suggested that this is a an appointment that would not have been made if not for the success that Steven Gerrard has had with Rangers. Do you believe you are fully equipped right now to manage this side back to the top division of Scottish football?

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: That is a completely fair question to ask and yes you may be right that I might not have been considered or got the job if not for the work of Steven at Rangers but the reality is that I am here and I do have this job and I wouldn't have taken it if I didn't believe I could do the job. This is a a big big club in Scotland and one of history and prestige and I take that very seriously. I wouldn't disrespect the club or this league by taking a job I didn't think I was capable of doing.

Before Jamie can ponder his answer another journalist pops up with a question.

Eloise Johnson [Journalist]: Hearts obviously endured a terrible time last year which saw them relegated to the championship for the second time in seven years. Clearly the goal will be promotion for this season but going beyond that stabilising Hearts as a first division side which currently seems like quite a big job. Are you here for the long haul?

Jamie nods in agreeance at the size of the task at hand.

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: There is no doubt about it that the goal for this season is to get back into the Premiership. Anything short of that would be considered a failure. That's not to undermine this league but with that stature of this club and resources we have available we should be competing in the top level of Scottish football. As for the future that is my goal but we will have to see what the future holds but I intend to have a long successful run here.

Jamie looks over to another journalist who is ready to go with his question.

Murray O'Connor [Journalist]: Have you had the opportunity to address and access the squad? If so have you got any players in mind that will be incoming?

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: I've had the chance to speak to the squad and meet them but our first training session will be tomorrow. As for transfers I want to have the chance to see the lads at training, to speak to them and get to know them. Not only do the players need to play a certain way they have to be a certain type of individual as well. I want to give them all the opportunity to show me they deserve their place before I go bringing other players in.

Murray O'Connor [Journalist]: Has the relegation and COVID-19 impacted the financial state?

Both Jamie and Mrs Budge frown at the question.

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: My job is to manage the football team not the finances. If you have financial questions You should ask Mrs Budge. I'm here to get results on the football pitch not give economic forecasts and updates.

The question seems to have annoyed Ann who clears her throat and begins speaking.

Ann Budge [Chairwoman]: We will take two more questions, we have plenty of work to do.

A sea of hands shoot into the sky hoping they will be selected for their question. Rose the media rep points to a tall pale man in the middle who gratefully smiles at her.

Malcolm Nesbitt [Journalist] : Your managerial move has taken many by surprise after the success you have had as a pundit what made you want to move into managing and how happy are you to be the manager of Hearts F.C?

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: I had a great time working in the media but it just wasn't scratching that itch that I had. I had been doing my badges with Liverpool quietly with no real interest in being a manager. I just wanted to learn more about the game and I had the time. As I did more and as I spent more time away from training and competing the desire to manage just started to burn within me so I started looking out for opportunities and that's how I arrived here and I'm delighted and very proud that this club have given me a chance. I'm very keen to repay that investment.

Rose promptly picks one last journalist to ask a question.

Gerry Brown [Journalist] :
This one is for Mrs Budge.. There are rumours that the double impact of COVID-19 and relegation have put a real dent into the finances at Hearts. Can you elaborate on that?

Ann looks at the journalist with a frown before responding emphatically.

Ann Budge [Chairwoman]: Rumours, rumours and more rumours. Hearts is fine and will remain fine. I find it absurd that we have a footballing legend sitting here as the manager of one of the oldest clubs in this country and the only question you have was about some rumours you heard. Baffling. Thank you for your time ladies and gentlemen.

Both Jamie and Ann stand up from the table and walk out of the media room.

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: Prickly bunch aren't they?

Ann looks at Jamie with a smile before replying and walking off.

Ann Budge [Chairwoman]: Welcome to Scotland.

Welcome!

I just wanted to do a brief summary of how I'm hoping to structure this series. The save will be played on FM Mobile 21. There is a few reasons for this spanning from convenience to making sure I didn't bite off more than I could chew. I figure starting on the mobile version will be a good pathway into the big boy stuff. My story will be very much story based. I plan to treat Jamie's journey as a manager as a story that is being told on the fly depending on live results etc. There will be chapters with Jamie speaking to players about their futures, meetings with potential recruits and an array of other things that will keep the story exciting. If anyone has any feedback (good or bad) please feel free to leave it!

Thanks.

Jamie sits in his office at Tynecastle with his two good friends William Jackson and Nial Kennedy. Not only are they Jamie's friends but they also happen to be on his coaching staff. Jamie has known William since he they were kids. They went to school together and they played together. Unfortunately football didn't pan out for William like it did Jamie but that never stopped William from pursuing his dreams. In many way William is more qualified than Jamie but has never wanted a full time job as a manager. William is not one for the lime light and would much sooner do his job on his own and that's why William makes the perfect assistant manager. Jamie met Nial while he was studying for his badges with Liverpool. Ever since Jamie had assured Nial that if he ever got a job he would be joining him and here he sits.

The three sit together mulling over the squad and who to select for their first friendly away against East Fife. This is a game that Hearts should be winning even with a second string side but Jamie and his team are still pondering hard about who to select and why. Jamie sits across from the two men who are on the other side of a desk which has various pages of player profiles and stats sprawled out all over the table. William is sat forward with his hand rubbing his chin as he scans over the various pages while Nial vigorously swipes away on an Ipad.

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: I'm quite content with what we have at the back at the moment.

Nial Kennedy [Head Coach]: I agree, the backline picks itself. Kinglsey is a quality player and Halkett and Smithy can both do a job.

All the coaches seem to agree on the the defensive side of the board but the real questions lie in in the midfield and the singular striker position.

William Jackson [Assistant Manager]: Who do you like to partner Haring in the middle. I like Halliday, he has trained well but he and Irving are neck and neck.

Both Jamie and Nial look at each other before they both look at William.

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: I like Irving I think

Nial Kennedy [Head Coach]: I'm with Will on this one. It's mighty close but Halliday has trained well.

Jamie nods his head.

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: Alright, we will go with Halliday this one. How about up top, there is something about Gnanduillet that I like I can see him scoring a boat load this season.

William and Nial agree.

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: Alright that's perfect so this is our eleven. Gordy, Smith, Souttar, Halkett and Kingsley at the back. Halliday and Haring in the middle. MS and Walker on the wings with Stevie behind Gnany up top.

Nial Kennedy [Head Coach]: I like it.

William Jackson [Assistant Manager]: It's the strongest we have at the moment.

Jamie knocks his knuckles off the desk almost like a judge would with a gavel to end proceedings.

Jamie Carragher [Manager]: Thank you gentlemen that will be all for now. Nial get the boys moving the ball through the channels we showed them and William could you get on the look out for a right winger. We are a little light there in depth and we will need another one. Thanks boys.

Both men nod and head out of the office shutting the door behind them leaving Jamie alone gazing out of his window onto the emerald green pitch below.

Attachments

• Tynecastle_Stadium_2007.jpg
    Tynecastle_Stadium_2007.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 23
Carragher's first competitive game in charge see's his Hearts side travel to Dudgeon Park to take on Brora Rangers in the Betfred Cup. Carragher selected a slightly weaker side than he had at his disposal but it was enough as a Liam Boyce Freekick in the 53rd turned out to be the winner. The only sour note from the victory was the injury to Jordan Roberts which could see him out for for a month.

90EC5886-D51B-4DB7-8B0F-442747CD4DAB.png
1CE76011-5BB5-4DC1-A2C2-B27E34E7C481.png
5302CA9A-1F57-401B-AAB1-A33251D01807.png
6BE682F4-8294-4552-8BC8-0516A2B59CEB.png
AEC5D212-75C8-483A-B6B6-69B0AFCEB4F4.png

Last edited: