Changing Tactics in preperation for next season - Need more possession

united762000

Reaction score
Right well here is the the thing, I am currently managing Burnley and doing very well indeed. I am top of the Championship after 25 games played with an impressive record of winning 22 of those games and drawing the other 3. I haven't made any big name signings and have put my faith in some unknown youngsters and current squad players. I like to model myself on a cross between Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson. Anyway back to the problem at hand. I am winning games and playing some good football in parts but in preperation for life in the Premiership I want tmy team to have more possession. At the moment I am playing 4-4-2 attacking with the 2 wingers in the inside forward position. I average between 45% - 55% possession per game and realise better teams will punish me for this. I have tried various other tactics but with no joy. Anybody know any tactic I could try to gain the possession football i crave???

Maybe your not being realistic about dominating games in the premeirship, I find it's just about surviving the first season and then build the side.

i know i won't dominate. i'm thinking more damage limitation. if my team allows teams like Coventry and Southampton +50% possesion then when i come up against better teams like United, City and Chelsea I feel they will punish me. In the championship i am getting away with it and winning. but i want my team to develop a bit of a possesion mentality to limit opposition teams in the prem.

Try playing in control mentality, short passing, 5 man midfield with ball playing defenders and deep lying playmakers. Shouts: retain possession, play out of defense, play through defense, work ball into box. Once you have succeeded in pushing the opponent back into their won half, switch to advanced playmakers. If the opponent gains possession again, then shift to deep lying playmaker.

Try playing in control mentality, short passing, 5 man midfield with ball playing defenders and deep lying playmakers. Shouts: retain possession, play out of defense, play through defense, work ball into box. Once you have succeeded in pushing the opponent back into their won half, switch to advanced playmakers. If the opponent gains possession again, then shift to deep lying playmaker.
This and also slow your tempo.

@atomkins04

hey how do u do the last part, i dont understand that^^

"Once you have succeeded in pushing the opponent back into their won half, switch to advanced playmakers. If the opponent gains possession again, then shift to deep lying playmaker."

Your team will probably have 1 creative central midfielder. When the opponent is all over you ( when they are closing you down excessively ) , give him a deep lying playmaker role. He will come deep and help you pass the ball out of defense. And so slowly you will start to control the match. Once you have started having a measure of control, you will see that your opponent gets more and more tired because of their pressing efforts. Now is the time for you to attack them more. Now go to your tactics overview screen, change the role of the deep lying playmaker to advanced playmaker.