The Magic Rectangle l 4-2-2-2 l Brazil's Samba Football :::by ARTISAN::: 14.3

Artisan

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER !!!
This is not an exploit tactic and you will still need the right players with the right stats to do well. Not Messi or Ronaldo, but players who have the right stats (see player recommendation section).

Please don't ask what version of the tactic is the best. There is no best tactic and people have had there fair share of success and failures (mainly success ;)) with each of them (read thread). It is up to you to pick a tactic with player roles that fit the players that you have in your team.

Thanks

PLEASE READ ADDITIONAL NOTES AT THE BOTTOM AS WELL !!!

Testimonials Since Original Post
So many more testimonials. You can read through the thread if you have time

Hey Artisan, just wanted to say; I've tested pretty much all tactic on this website, throughout a 20-30 game period and there are good ones and bad ones! not only is yours really good but its also a reincarnation of Brazil's glory years! so i give you double credit for that. Ive never had a combination of such solid defense and amazing attack; you get so many ccc and woodwork hits but with this you get loads of goals, others have created tactics that have lots of ccc but still don't score goals!? this tactic will give you solid defense and lots of possession, ccc,woodwork hits and GOALS!
Tried the tweaked and original one and both have their merits. The tweaked one concedes from corners a lot more but scores a lot more corners as well. Both tactics are really quality and if I am being honest, the best tactics I have used on this patch. I am not really one to use peoples tactics but these are real quality. Hats off to you!
nice tactics! my Lazio ( no transfers) winner serie A!!

best tactic ive had so far in FM, coasting away with barca, won 15 games in a row including vs real, valencia & athletico madrid.

Best tactic at the moment.

what a tactic for now .. playing with Ajax: Dutch Cup 4th round to play
in the league after 17 games 15 wins 2 draws 48 scored 5 conceded...
in CL got a tough group with chelsea, shakhtar and anderlecht
won the group after a poor start lost to chelsea 3-2 away and drew home 2-2 against anderlecht but then won the remaining 4 games!

I actually prefer the tactic on counter and I think it's excellent, won the PL, Europa League and FA Cup with Spurs. What's changed in the tweaked version?

Screenshots from Testers and Users

Only one test with a lower division team Middlesbrough and the results were less than impressive. More testers welcome.

Tester Name: Da Kwoot
Team: Everton second season
Tactic version: Original
View attachment 533302View attachment 533303View attachment 533305

Tester Name: Manuol86
Team: Lyon first season
Tactical Version: Original
View attachment 533323View attachment 533326View attachment 533329View attachment 533330

Tester Name: Galatasary1905
Team: Porto first season
Tactic version: Original
View attachment 534953View attachment 534940View attachment 534943View attachment 533395View attachment 533399View attachment 534946View attachment 534948View attachment 534951

Tester Name:Pestache
Team: Lokomotiv Moscow first season
Tactical Version Orginal
Please note that on this test he used a combination of my tactic and a tactic created by someone else in an alternating fashion. Details on page 18 #178. You can see on the 4th and 5th screen shot how my tactic worked.
View attachment 533519View attachment 533520View attachment 533520View attachment 533521View attachment 533524

Tester Name: Manuol86
Team: Lyon second season season
Tactical Version: Tweaked
Note that he made no transfers in the second season
View attachment 534956View attachment 534957View attachment 534958View attachment 533836View attachment 533838

Tester Name: Sapphyra
Team: Trabzonspor Third season
Tactical Version: Original
View attachment 536443View attachment 536444View attachment 536446View attachment 536447View attachment 536449View attachment 536452

Tester Name: Thedude1979
Team: Southampton First Season
Tactical Version: Thedude Tweak
View attachment 546297View attachment 546299View attachment 546303View attachment 546306View attachment 546309

Tweaked Version Featuring Jassar
The legendary Jassar was kind enough to give a little help by adding his set piece settings and a few minor changes to the player roles (changing Enganches to Advanced Playmakers) and tempo. The tweaked version has been included in the attached files section at the bottom.

Tweaked Version Featuring Nezza6969
This tactic has changes to some of the player roles and was created with the aim of improving the firing power of the strikers. It also includes Nezza6969's corner tactics. So enjoy

Tweaked Version Featuring Thedude1979
This tweak was developed to improve overall attacking fluidity and to dominate teams. People have been reporting a lot of success with this tweak recently. It is also more attacking as it starts off with attacking mentality and features a deep lying playmaker as an extra creative outlet.

Introduction
Hello again football manager fans! its Artisan again and I am here to present another one of my tactical recreations for FM14. I am a massive fan of tactics that hope to emulate real life setups and whenever I play the game, that is what I strive to achieve.
My last post was a recreation of Antonio Conte's very successful tactical setup and if you missed that, here it is;

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...nte-lll-3-5-2-3-3-4-lll-artisan-14-2-2-a.html

Now, on to the tactic at hand. My last tactic was more of a counter attacking/ more defensive setup and in order to shake things up this time, I decided to focus on a more football purist philosophy. Tiki-Taka if you will and the results have been amazing. Have a look at the screenshots below.

Test Results
I tested the formation with two teams; Southampton (Weaker Team) and Tottenham (Stronger Team). These two teams had the players to fit the tactical setup and would offer a fair representation of the tactics suitability for teams with different end of season expectations.

Southampton Test
The southampton test was a lot longer than Tottenham test. They were the first team I tested the tactic with and the results were amazing. Top of the table with a lot of goals scored and a decent defensive record as well.

View attachment 404998View attachment 405604View attachment 405612View attachment 405611View attachment 405610View attachment 405609View attachment 405608View attachment 405607View attachment 405606View attachment 405605

Tottenham Test
This test was carried out to determine the formations suitability with a stronger team and in the games I played, the tactic played out very well.
View attachment 405617View attachment 405616View attachment 405615View attachment 405614View attachment 405613

Tactical Inspiration

When I first decided to make an attacking fluid style tactic, I had many options. There is the pep guardiola formula, but there are many versions of his tactic on this site and why add another one. I also thought about Brendan Rogers, but like Guardiolas tactics, there have been many post on this site emulating his style. Brazil's Samba football however seemed to have been overlooked by the tacticians on this site.
View attachment 405680

The Brazillian national team plays quality attacking football with fullbacks bombing forward and forward players moving into free spaces and passing the ball to feet. They are arguably the most entertaining international team to watch.

Tactical Adaptation in Football Manager Engine

As I mentioned in my first post, being able to completely recreate a real life tactic in FM is almost impossible, so don't hassle me if your attackers don't dribble past 10 players, run past the goalkeeper, flick the ball up and score with an overhead kick :p. This tactic will come as close as possible to the Brazilian style of play whilst also remaining stable.

My tactical Setups in FM are shown below:::::
View attachment 405661

You might be wondering, "why lower tempo", "why more disciplined"....Well like I said before stability is also important in this game and in order to achieve that you have to compromise. So quit your whining ;)

I guess the name "Magic Rectangle" would make more sense after you look at the tactical setup. The four attacking players are setup up in a rectangular shape enabling them to overwhelm opposition defenders and constantly find space. The "Magic" in "Magic Rectangle" I guess comes from Brazil's magical goals?!...... Don't quote me on that

How the Formation Plays

The Wingbacks offer almost all the width in this formation and will constantly bomb forward to stretch the opposition's defensive line.The will deliver killer crosses to the forward players and will also find themselves in one-on-one goalscoring opportunities in the box. For that reason, it would be beneficial for fullbacks to have decent finishing ability. Finishing ability for fullbacks is understandably very rare and if your fullbacks cannot finish, it is not the end of the world.

Legendary Examples : Cafu, Roberto Carlos
Modern Day Examples: Marcelo, Filipe, Dani Alves.

The Ball Playing Defenders are more creative minded central defenders and will hold a higher defensive line to squeeze the space available to opposition midfielders and maintain pressure on the opposing team. They will play simpler passes to either the wingbacks or the defensive midfielders. They will also pass the ball to the more attacking if need be.

Legendary Examples: Lucio, Bobby Moore
Modern Day Examples: Dante, Gerrard Pique

The screenshot below shows the defensive phase of the formation. The AMCs will contribute in this phase and drop deeper as you can see circled in yellow. The wing backs will close down wide players and the centrebacks will cover his position

View attachment 405599

The Defensive Midfielders
are the insurance policies taking out for the very attack minded wingbacks. They play a role that is a hybrid of a water carrier/anchorman and a regista. They will
sit in front of the centrebacks and offer extra protection by closing down often and winning the ball back from opposition wide men and central midfielders. They will move around the pitch behind the ball and when they recieve the ball to feet will either play a simple pass to more offensive players, or run forward with the ball.

Legendary Examples: Gilberto Silva, Edgar Davids
Modern Day Examples: Ramires, Fernandinho

The Enganches form the major link between the defensive phase and the attacking phase of the formation. They will form strong partnerships and develop a thorough understanding of each others game and that of the strikers. The will look to deliver quality through balls to players in free space which could be out wide or in behind defenders. They will also make forward runs behind strikers for goalscoring opportunities.

Legendary Examples: Kaka, Maradonna
Modern Day Examples: Isco, Ozil

The screenshot below shows the attacking phase of the tactic. The wingback circled in blue can be seen far out wide offering width to the team. One of the AMCs circled in yellow tries to link the attack with the defence by dropping deeper while the other AMC can be seen making a forward run (arrow). The two strikers can be seen sitting on shoulder of the defenders.

View attachment 405602

The Poachers are the main goal scorers of the formation and will look to work off the shoulder of the last defenders. They will also deliver killer passes to the Enganches if they are in a position to.

Legendary Examples: Fat Ronaldo, Raul
Modern Day Examples: Sturridge, Diego Costa

Training
All training was left to the assistant manager but I would suggest focussing on attacking movement in match preparation. I only trained players to play in new positions. For example, training Dembele to become accomplished in the DM position.

A tester used a training schedule that worked very well for him and I have included it. Please note that I have not tried it out myself but from his results, trust his training regime.

First 2 weeks of the new season - FITNESS - VERY HIGH, DEFENDING SET PIECES, The next 2 weeks - TEAM COHESION - VERY HIGH, DEFENDIN SET PIECES. Since then till the end of season - BALANCED - AVERAGE, DEFENDING SET PIECES.

Opposition instruction and tweaks
No opposition instructions were used during my test. In terms of tweaks, there is only one that needs to be made. When playing against stronger teams, switch the mentality to counter

Well thanks for reading and hope you have as much success as I have had with this tactic.

Not sure what tactic to recreate next. If anyone has any ideas, then drop a comment and if I can find enough information about the tactic, then ill recreate it.

Recommended Player Attributes
The important attributes are in red and the less important in default black. You should note that these are recommendations to get the ideal players for the positions in this formations and most times, you wont be able to sign the players with all these stats.
I would recommend important stats to be at least 14 and less important at least 10.

CentreBacks - : Heading, Marking, Tackling, Anticipation, Decision, Positioning, Acceleration, Strength, Bravery, Concentration, Determination, Passing, First Touch

Complete Wingbacks - : Crossing, Dribbling, Marking, Tackling, Technique, Decision, Positioning, Acceleration, Anticipation, Pace, Stamina, First Touch, Passing, Off the ball, Work Rate.

Defensive Midfielders -: First Touch, Marking, Passing, Tackling, Anticipation, Bravery, Concentration, Decision, Positioning, Teamwork, Strength, Dribbling, Heading, Technique, Composure.

Enganches -: Dribbling, Finishing, First Touch, Passing, Teamwork, Off the Ball, Anticipation, Flair, Creativity, Technique, Decisions.

Poachers -: Acceleration, Pace, Dribbling, Passing, Finishing, First Touch, Composure, Off the Ball, Flair, Heading, Teamwork, Technique

ADDITIONAL NOTES!!!

When to Change Strategies

The tactic file uploaded starts of with a counter attacking strategy. This should be changed to control when playing against weaker teams. Against stronger teams, leave as counter.

You can also change to counter after going up by two goals or when you want to protect a lead.

Red Card Situations
If you get a red card, remove one of the strikers and play with one up top. The formation still works very efficiently with one striker after a red card.

Fluidity of Tactic
You can load up the German league (view-only) and change the start date to begin a month earlier at the start of the game thereby giving the tactic more time to get fluid

Unwarranted Negativity
Please be respectful and thoughtful when you reply. Comments like this
ANYWAY, I WONT COMMENT ON THIS ANYMORE, THE TACTIC IS GOOD OR BAD, DONT REALLY CARE.
don't help anyone out and are a complete negative.

Last edited:
I'm Brazilian and i'm very happy with this tactic, is the same model of Brazilian teams, good work! I'll test...

By default training you mean nothing at all or you ask assistant to do it?

Last edited:

I'd imagine you'd just use your own judgement on training. Leaving it default is most certainly not going to get the best progression in your squad.

Btw well done Artisan, another great write up, looks a cracking tactic.

pure inspiration. definitely going to give this a try. good job mate! ;)

I should have been clearer. yes just leave it to your assistant manager but opposition instructions should not be used unless you are sure what you are doing

best tactic ive had so far in FM, coasting away with barca, won 15 games in a row including vs real, valencia & athletico madrid.

That' great. Barca or Man City would be the ideal teams for the tactic to work. They are very strong teams but so is the Brazilian squad which the tactic is based on. Keep me posted

u said wen playing stronger opponent switch to counter just downloaded the tactic and its already on counter

u said wen playing stronger opponent switch to counter just downloaded the tactic and its already on counter
The formation is supposed to start with control. So you use counter against stronger teams and control against weaker teams

oke thnks will try whit liverpool and let u know the results

What do you suggest about training...i like to do training on my own, no matter how good assistant is.

tested on several backup, and this tactic is impressive.
I'll try with lyon on a full season