The Manchester United Thread

Vanjagl

Premium
Jul 14, 2010
I remember there was some dude on here who said McSauce was average. Echos of Darren Fletcher lads lol.
Well he was playing like that for 6 months. He picked up his form last month. He even got better on counterattacks at helping. Still not a def mid, but central midfielder. If he can continue to play like this, or even like Fletch, then thats great.

Reactions: Theatre of Dreams83

RhQQ

Jul 18, 2016
Joking aside, nice to see some fluid football for a change - which yet again, comes through Martial. Add Pogba & Shaw back into the mix and it could be juicy.

Reactions: Sherkey

zzeezzy

Jan 4, 2010
All jokes aside, if we play like we did tonight in an attacking sense) against Brighton, then I'll be excited and can say that we are actually improving. I can't judge one game as a success when we keep messing up the following game, which is the most important one!

You know my thoughts on Ole, but I'll be fair and say it how it is if we're consistently showing a performance like tonight.

Theatre of Dreams83

Dec 13, 2017
Joking aside, nice to see some fluid football for a change - which yet again, comes through Martial. Add Pogba & Shaw back into the mix and it could be juicy.
Mata played a massive part in that and rightly getting plaudits from pundits. If we play 4231 he has to start at 10 with Pogba and McSauce behind him.

woolly

Jul 23, 2011
McT has definitely proved his worth this season. He will never be as good as Best, Cantona etc but for every flair player there is a player who holds the team together.

Vanjagl

Premium
Jul 14, 2010
Exactly. Get another top cm n with him and Pogba and we are onto something!
Get a mobile defensive midfielder and play with Pogba/McTominay. James/Rashford and Martial upfront. Still not sold on defenders other than AWB ( Maguire still needs to show a bit more imo, but still big improvement on other CDs) and thats a good team for top 4. If they click and continue to improve, than maybe even more. But thats all speculation.

RhQQ

Jul 18, 2016
I don't think it's quite as simple as that. Our DM needs to be:

-mobile and robust to be able to defend seas of space in defensive transitions as a lone DM
-quality passer to break lines & improve our build up

And those two qualities are often mutually exclusive. Look at the top 6 DM's for example:

Xhaka has #2 but not #1.
Winks has #2 but not #1.
Jorginho has #2 but not #1.

Only Rodri & Fabinho seem to be rounded enough, and there was big £ paid for both. Outside of those two, the only real players that come to mind in the PL are Ndidi and Neves, and even at that, there would be some question marks over the latters mobility/ability to be a lone DM and defend in exposed, large spaces.

It's a shorter shortlist of candidates than you may first think, in terms of elevating us/fixing our build up flaws.

On paper Fred could a job there, but football isn't played on paper. and he'll always just feel like a mistake waiting to happen, unfortunately. Too erratic in possession for me.

Partey would be the dream. Marc Roca for Espanyol looks like an interesting option too.

Mike.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2009
There are lots of coaches out there, who would fit what we want to see from our team. But the root of the problems still remains.

If there is no football structure in place, it'll still be a band-aid and nothing more. Long term, without a strategy and a football team in place behind the scenes to execute it, we are still wandering afloat. A proper DoF would still go aways to soothing that, however, if he is without any real power, then it is another pointless appointment.

Plus, you have to wonder how interested top coaches are in the United job when the problems in the backroom of club are highlighted almost as much as issues on the field. I have the feeling that we will face it with players too, when we get into the CL and can get that calibre again - if we can't improve them, they will not want to come here.

This literally needs a fresh approach from the root up, but I doubt it's something that the Glazers/Woodward would ever sanction.
Because its still Man United, and every coach backs themselves to change it round with the resources on hand

United should bring in Rangnick one way or the other.

Last edited:

Mike.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2009
All jokes aside, if we play like we did tonight in an attacking sense) against Brighton, then I'll be excited and can say that we are actually improving. I can't judge one game as a success when we keep messing up the following game, which is the most important one!

You know my thoughts on Ole, but I'll be fair and say it how it is if we're consistently showing a performance like tonight.
You're happy to judge one loss as a failure though...

Sherkey

Oct 13, 2013
I don't think it's quite as simple as that. Our DM needs to be:

-mobile and robust to be able to defend seas of space in defensive transitions as a lone DM
-quality passer to break lines & improve our build up

And those two qualities are often mutually exclusive. Look at the top 6 DM's for example:

Xhaka has #2 but not #1.
Winks has #2 but not #1.
Jorginho has #2 but not #1.

Only Rodri & Fabinho seem to be rounded enough, and there was big £ paid for both. Outside of those two, the only real players that come to mind in the PL are Ndidi and Neves, and even at that, there would be some question marks over the latters mobility/ability to be a lone DM and defend in exposed, large spaces.

It's a shorter shortlist of candidates than you may first think, in terms of elevating us/fixing our build up flaws.

On paper Fred could a job there, but football isn't played on paper. and he'll always just feel like a mistake waiting to happen, unfortunately. Too erratic in possession for me.

Partey would be the dream. Marc Roca for Espanyol looks like an interesting option too.
There were so many rumours linking us for Fabinho. I was extremely surprised why we didn't move for him. OR we did, and it wasn't made public. But sorted two problem areas for us (in DM and RB), so it was baffling not going in for him.

Partey, I honestly was expecting us to move in for him in the summer itself, but I reckon he didn't want to move then. Would love a move for him in the next one. And he has a cheap-ish RC too, in today's day and age of inflated transfer fees.

Scouseinthehouse

May 1, 2015
There were so many rumours linking us for Fabinho. I was extremely surprised why we didn't move for him. OR we did, and it wasn't made public. But sorted two problem areas for us (in DM and RB), so it was baffling not going in for him. .....
There was never any approach to him/ offer to Monaco from Utd mate.

He’s on record dispelling that not long after he joined L’pool after it was ‘claimed’ from some in the media Monaco stopped him going to Utd.

Reactions: zzeezzy

Scouseinthehouse

May 1, 2015
..... Only Rodri & Fabinho seem to be rounded enough, and there was big £ paid for both. .....
As mad as this sounds in any World bar the football one, do you think £43.7 Million's big money in this market mate? That's what it'll amount to from an initial £39 M.

Don't know what the Rodri fee was but that seems pretty standard average money in the current climate. Or an absolute bargain if you paid it. ;)

RhQQ

Jul 18, 2016
Yep. Despite his at-the-time interest in joining us, we never once made a concrete offer, which was strange. Always thought that entire situation of Fabinho being available and flirting, with Jose and Pep needing a DM but refusing to bite, felt so strange. Planted some doubt in my mind about his actual ability, especially after Jose's scouting report about Lacazette got "leaked" (which has been fairly justified imo). But seeing how he's coped with the PL, it now feels stranger.

That said, I was very happy with Matic at the time. Pity he's fallen off a cliff, but that's the risk signing 30 year olds.

zzeezzy

Jan 4, 2010
Yep. Despite his at-the-time interest in joining us, we never once made a concrete offer, which was strange. However, I was very happy with Matic at the time. Pity he's fallen off a cliff, but that's the risk signing 30 year olds.
A mixture of Jose's short-sighted vision and the board.