The Royal Society's Coup d'etat of the Basque Country and Beyond

Sterling101

Reaction score
1stmonth.jpg

Touching Down in San Sebastian

My arrival is greeted with a contagious episode of murmuring and whispering.In this autonomous province I am greeted with hostile Journos from Bilbao and optimistic ones from my new home town, but, unsurprisingly I am also approached by San Sebastian editors and football fans-alike that are bereft in confidence for the gamble that was my appointment. In my first press conference I am externally stoic but inside I am a spaghetti-junction of feelings and nerves. The first question lands like butcher's cleaver to the chest;

"Do you feel well-equipped enough to handle the pressures of a foreign coach in such a staunchly patriotic area?"

I lick my desert strips and reply; " As far as I'm concerned, with the players aide, I will exceed your lowly expectations. Don't even attempt to compare me to Toshack 'cause of my British origins; I'll conquer this province and more. Here's the only offer available; You give me time, I give you results"

The conference room is taken aback; my fluent spanish wasn't expected and neither was the dulcet aggression in my response.An hourglass broad with specs and midnight curls for hair stood up and fired the next question.

"Are you thinking of signing anybody as reinforcements?"

The ease of this question settles my nerves and I finally crack a smile.

"Along with keeping hold of our Key Players such as Griezmann and I. Martinez who're a large part of our future; I will be aiming to draft in one or two more bodies. You could be my first if you like; you look like you've got....Natural Fitness levels that I am interested in."

Following my audacity, I get up out of my chair and with the composure of a goalhanging striker; walk out of the building to my temporary hotel fixture.

Last edited:
Adrien of Lisbon Arrives whilst Rochina of Blackburn Rovers replaces At Madrid-bound Agirretxe.
View attachment 260135
Adrien Silva 700,000 Euros from Sporting Lisbon
Providing competition for Ruben Pardo and Illaramendi in my 4-2-3-1 formation and for such little fee, the quality obtained by this purchase has improved my happiness with the depth of the squad.
View attachment 260136
Imanol Aggiretxe 2,500,000 Euros to Atletico Madrid
When Madrid enquired about my rotation-bound target man I was cautious not to ask for too much, as he was destined for the bench and I can hardly pass up a decent amount. I responded immediately with a 2.5million negotiation on his current value of 2.2million. I was delighted that it was accepted. I feel this is a great bit of business for Sociedad's finances.
View attachment 260137
Ruben Rochina 1,100,000 Euros from Blackburn Rovers
For such a young versatile player, Rochina came very cheap. Including the fact he graduated from La Masia and is an experienced Spain youth international, I had to snap him up. His ability to play striker and all across the attacking midfield line, will undoubtedly come in handy.

Peripheral changes:
Elustondo Loaned out for 375,000. Pau Cendros brought in on a free to cover RB.

Question Time in San Sebastian

I enter the conference room to only one journo. That broad. I am pleasantly surprised, I had expected more scrutiny about my flurry of ins and outs that occurred within 48 hours. I settle down and look into her eyes. Before she speaks, I decide it's more appropriate to just go and sit next to her; the room dwarfs us and it's too professional to be all high and mighty up at the table before only a solitary journalist.

"Hello again Mr. Bowen, I'm surprised, you offered to sign me yet I've not received my call. Do you prefer strapping footballers like Rochina over a girl like me?"

"Jealousy is a bad thing Miss.... urrm?"
I motion towards her to enlighten me.

"Santamaria, Bella."

"You know, Bella means beautiful girl in Italian? Sounds like your parents knew what they were on about. How about we wrap this up quickly? I'll make sure to sign you up if you cut this boring stuff out."

I catch a minor blush that momentarily flashes across her tanned cheeks.

"What influenced your recent transfer activity then Mr. Bowen?"

She recaptured her composure swiftly. She certainly wasn't easy.

"I don't use defensive midfielders, so Gorka had to go anywhere that'd have him. The Aggiretxe bid was too good to refuse, and Rochina is a perfect fit to my system and came cheaply, so was an ideal replacement. Adrien was drafted in purely for competition and an extra touch of class in the centre of the park. Now this is over, how about dinner influencing some transfer activity between you and I?"

I am determined to catch her out. Making a usually strict professional falter just makes me feel alive. My confidence is shining through, I am smiling with every mischievous comment.

"+34 787 900 261, but dinner is not on yet. You have more to do than just that to get this signature in sheets..."

Her response intensifies my want for her. If she continues like this; I'll be distracted on the touchline. I jot down her number and tell her to think of me, as I begin to walk away. I can't help but look back over my shoulder as her hourglass moves out of sight. ****. This, when those rich a**holes Malaga are up next. The stakes just got raised in San Sebastian.

Last edited:
August
Malaga View attachment 2603073-0 View attachment 260308Real Sociedad
Key Stats
Possession: 49-51
Shots: 12-7
On target: 5-1
Clear Cut Chances: 5-2

View attachment 260309
Baptista stole the show with a brace and Malaga deserved their win with Jaoquin getting the other goal. I was furious with my team; we dominated proceedings quite comfortably for vast portions of the match and a lot of possession we had, was in their final third. Wayward shots and a lack of clinical finish really frustrated me on the touchline. We played like the home team, yet Malaga prevailed playing counter-attack at La Rosaleda. Three players were fined for poor performance 1 weeks wages. Pardo and Illarimendi my central duo and my right back Carlos Martinez.

Soundbyte of the Match:
"I am very disappointed by this loss, however, I think my team at least defended important footballing principles. I cannot say the same about Malaga - From that display,I can safely say that I'd not pay for a season ticket as a Malaga fan."

Real Sociedad
View attachment 2603082-0 View attachment 260310Osasuna
Key Stats
Possession 55-45
Shots 19-9
On target 8-2
Clear Cut Chances 3-0

View attachment 260313
Zurutuza was my stand out performer bagging a goal from playing just behind the sole striker Llorente, whom also got on the scoresheet. I was pleased to beat a neighbouring rival but it is evident that my team are still not clinical in the final third. For now I will put this down to blending into my style of football and what the formation expects of the players. However, if this lack of profligacy continues as long as January, a new striker may be needed with my stockpiled 6million euro budget.

Soundbyte of the Match:
"I don't know about you, but beating a Basque rival is exactly what the doctor ordered. I think we did a better job today than last week, however, lets be honest; Osasuna are hardly the kingpins of the Basque country. We're gunning for Athletic this season."

Position in Table : 8th

Goals for coming month:
- Maintain or improve on league position
- Increase appraisal of Bilbao youngster Galaretta for favoured status
- Increase chance conversion from current 12.5% chance of shot being a goal.

Out in San Sebastian

View attachment 260315
I am greeted by semi-meaningful cheers now and then as I walk to my new favourite place to eat in town. Beating Osasuna makes the locals happy; I'm glad we did. However, my mind fast tracks to visions of the joy of finishing above Athletic in the table and winning the lion's share of points from the two Vasco Derbies in the season. My absent-minded daydreaming is indicative of my obssession, but is broken by the appearance of Bella.

"So, do I have a stalker now?"

I burgeon a smile but remain fairly composed.
"No just some luck." the response is paired with a seductive beam and my heart uncharacteristically begins to play ping-pong with my ribcage.

"You're on form again Miss Santamaria, maybe I should sign you after all. Following my team's lack of cutting edge, I could use someone like you up front."

"Great, you've given me the quote I need to make a story, no need to pester you now. Though, I suppose you're right, you're going to need me next time you score."

With that she does an about-turn and wanders off into the San Sebastian nightlife. My cheeks hurting from my obviousness. Why must I be such a book in these circumstances? She's getting the better of me because I can't hold my nerve aswell as I can use my wit. She's beginning to be as big a headache as Sociedad's lack of chance conversion...

Last edited:

Just out of curiosity, is anyone following the story, and since this is my first, any suggestions :)?

Last edited:
September
Rayo View attachment 260334 4-4 View attachment 260335 Real Sociedad
Key stats
Possession 41-59
Shots 9-17
On Target 4-8
Clear Cut Chances 2-4
View attachment 260336
Really disappointing result. Some beautiful attacking football; the stuff I'd been desperate for. Yet some absolutely atrocious defending/concentration standards let us down dearly. Rochina is my personal performer of the match, two nearly-identical 25 yard left foot curlers to twice send us in front. Not far behind was Joseba llorente with his own brace. Worst performer undoubtedly Demidov...I don't even want to explain why.

Soundbyte of the Match:
"I do not have an explanation. 2 lost points. The players need to show more determination and will to win."

Real Sociedad
View attachment 260335 0-1 View attachment 260337 Deportivo la Coruna
Key Stats
Possession 61-39
Shots 22-4
On Target 3-1
Clear Cut Chances 2-0
View attachment 260338
Worst display yet. Complete dominance and 0 points. 22 shots and no goal. Speechless. Zurutuza fined and upset. Zurutuza duly transfer-listed. A**hole...

Soundbyte of the Match:
"I think the Deportivo players should buy a lottery ticket today. One of them will win it, no doubt."

Levante
View attachment 260339 1-0 View attachment 260335 Real Sociedad
Key Stats
Possession 46-54
Shots 16-7
On target 4-1
Clear Cut Chances 3-0
View attachment 260340
Deservedly beaten. Sociedad were blunt and uninspired. I called a team meeting afterward and called on them to get out of their slump. Time will tell. No player deserves a mention as above. Sociedad were poor and I am sweating over my job and our position.

Soundbyte of the Match:
" I don't often say this, but the better team won. I need a leader to emerge from this team. Otherwise we could all be in trouble."

Real Sociedad View attachment 260335 2-1 View attachment 260341 Betis
Key Stats
Possession 60-40
Shots 15-3
On target 5-1
Clear Cut Chances 2-1
View attachment 260342
Satisfactory bounce back but expected win and the fact Betis hit the woodwork twice is a reminder that we're still pretty poor at the moment. I have brought in Suso for January from Liverpool for 7.5million euros over 48months in the wake of the impending departure of Zurutuza. Hopefully if Sociedad aren't shining by January, he can make a difference despite his young age.

Soundbyte of the Match: "
They did okay. Nothing to be excited about, back to the training pitch for us."

Objectives all failed. Worst month I could have hoped for.

Goals for Coming Month
- Woo Galaretta from being only-Bilbao
- Prevent further decline in table (14th)
- Score more than we concede- Overtake Osasuna to save my rep

The First Opening, the First Media Wound

I wake up to October 1st newspapers across Spain and all laughing at me. Very few aren't debating my abilities and most importantly the Bilbao newspaper Gara is mutilating my supposed over-confidence in using a 4-2-3-1 possession tactic away from home. The coffee, smoke and shower trio doesn't relieve my mood. The depressing antics of the past month on and off the field is melting away my previously iron-clad self-esteem. This job is harder than I thought. Maybe Sociedad really is too big for a rookie...After toweling off from my shower exit, I pick up the last newspaper in my pile. To my surprise I am appraised for aiming for attractive free-flowing football and the author has suggested I stick to my guns and things will undoubtedly improve. Heh, I'm not too convinced by that...I am smiling very soon however. The author's name - Bella Santamaria. Maybe my fortunes off field are improving, that a slight consolation for footballing slump I find myself. I fade into daydream as I tell myself I really should get round to negotiating with Bella about personal terms upon my signing of her.

Last edited:
I've played up til January now, will update the thread in posts by month after I finish work. That won't be til around 10;30 earliest though /sadpanda

October
Real Madrid View attachment 260542 6-1 View attachment 260543 Real Sociedad
Key Stats
Possession 53-47
Shots 22-8
On Target 11-6
Clear Cut Chances 5-1
View attachment 260556
Outclassed by Ronaldo and Higuain and expectedly so. However I did find the 5 goal margin fairly depressing; 9 seasons ago (02-03) Real Sociedad finished 2nd 4 points behind Real Madrid. Now we're getting humbled by 5 goals. Not such a nice fact. There is some silver lining; we scored from our clear cut chance of the game and actually had 75% of shots on target, so we're picking up I guess up front - just about.

Soundbyte of the Match:
"Real will win La Liga."

Real Sociedad View attachment 260543 1-1 View attachment 260544 Espanyol
Key Stats
Possession 61-39
Shots 7-8
On target 1-5
Clear Cut Chances 2-1
View attachment 260555
Points dropped in my book. We did nothing with the ball and gave away cheap possession in the vital areas despite having the majority of it. I was furious with my team and duly reverted to a more stable in the middle of the park formation; 4-1-2-2-1 after this game.

Soundbyte of the Match: "Espanyol can be proud of that performance, 1 chance, 1 goal, 1 point saved. Us on the other hand, should be trying to forget tonight."

Real Sociedad
View attachment 260543 2-0 View attachment 260546 Valladolid
Key Stats
Possession 63-37
Shots 8-3
On target 2-0
Clear Cut Chances 1-0

View attachment 260554
Not a bad performance but again, nothing special nor was it unexpected. Valladolid are arguably the weakest team this season and a 2-0 win with stats such as the above is nothing to be joyful over. The formation worked however, we dominated possession like usual but were more solid at the back. Zurutuza appeased me a little with a nice tidy finish to seal the 3 points but no small part down to Griezmann who forced the own goal and set Zurutuza up 1on1.

Soundbyte of the Match: "3 points, that's that matters against teams you should beat."

Racing
View attachment 260550 4-2 View attachment 260543 Real Sociedad (Copa Del Rey 4th Round 1st Leg)
Key Stats
Possession 51-49
Shots 12-7
On target 8-6
Clear Cut Chances 2-2

View attachment 260553
We were poor and Racing were fortuitous. I was fuming with my team and fined a number of players 1 weeks and warned a few also for poor performance. Not what I expected against an Adelante side, but fair play, they truly beat us. Our finishing was woeful again. This performance sparks some interest within me for Jonathan Cristaldo of Metalist.

Soundbyte of the Match: "Pathetic, speak to my assistant, I don't want to talk."

Real Sociedad
attachment.php
3-1 View attachment 260551 Celta
Key Stats
Possession 59-41
Shots 19-8
On Target 12-2
Clear Cut Chances 3-1
View attachment 260552
After falling behind and staying behind for 60minutes I was getting really ticked off on the touchline. However, my future-captain Inigo Martinez really inspired us from the back; he was taking the ball on and playing it perfectly to our danger men from between the defensive and midfield line. He followed up this great display of leadership by example with a long range goal that he is famous for.

Soundbyte of the Match: "I'm sure Oleg will tell you everything you want to hear about our comeback, get out of my face."

Objectives completed: Galaretta woo'd but interest in him is low from my part now. We went up to 9th from 14th so we obviously didn't decline. Level on points with Osasuna and Athletic.(Will show table at January).

Objectives for Coming Month:
- Sign a striker for January at all costs that can guarantee goals
- Stay at least on track to compete with the other two Basque teams in the final standings come the end of the season

A New Signing?
Following a difficult training session with the lads following my change of formation, I sit back and relax in my office enjoying a selection of the local tapas. I am knot of frustration following the Espanyol game and the past training session; the players are low in confidence and a rallying team meeting didn't sway as many as I'd hoped. Before I get too immersed in negativity, the door knocks. It's Bella.

" Hey, you've been sending your assistant to the press conferences lately; it's not the same, so I thought I'd come visit."

Her smile is captivating as ever and the sleek tanned pins that protrude from the jet black pencil skirt are hard to ignore....

" You going to put pen to paper then as my new signing? "
I retort confidently following her semi-admission to missing me.

"If you give me some signing on bonuses I may be....
tempted..."

Her sweet and pleasant face suddenly transforms into that of a fiery seductress and I've lost before I even utter my next word."

I've signed Suso from Liverpool permanently for 7.5million and Cristaldo is high on my target-list for January... So.... Dinner?"

My voice descends to a nearly-inaudible whisper as my eyes zone in on her lowering chest as she leans in for her reply.

" Is that exclusive information?"
her voice is stern and suddenly very business-like.

"Yeah... no one else but me and Oleg my assistant know."
I respond slightly confused with this change of tone.

Instantly she slips back into her very very alluring symphony and tells me to call her sometime after midnight the follwing day.

"It'll be
the best signing on clause you could want from a potential signing"

Her peach drifts out my office door and I just notice I am in need of a shower after the tense workout she gave my body.... just through words when it pleased her.... God I hate this lack of control....

Last edited:

Going to bed since I worked overtime, might get time tomorrow (Wed) to write up til January/February but I'ts most likely going to Thursday. Hope you guys are liking it, some comments of approval or suggestions to make it more reader-friendly would be great :)

November

Getafe
View attachment 260579 2-2 View attachment 260580 Real Sociedad
(Griezmann 59, Rochina pen 90)
Key Stats
Possession 50-50
Shots 17-10
On target 4-4
Clear Cut Chances 5-2

View attachment 260601
Quite an evenly matched game ended level. I was quite disappointed we didn't perform to our highest level and we gave them so many chances it was unreal. A decent-ish point however and the positive was Griezmann back to his best.

Soundbyte of the Match: "Deserved point for both sides, do you need anymore?"

Mallorca
View attachment 260581 0-1
attachment.php
Real Sociedad
(Rochina 44)
Key Stats
Possession 56-44
Shots 15-6
On Target 4-2
Clear Cut Chances 1-3

View attachment 260600
We deserved the win despite being dominated for large portions of the match as we were very productive when we did have the ball. Rochina bags another goal and is in a spell of fine form, but his greediness does show in some occasions and it's a pain.

Soundbyte of the Match: "Fortuitous but deserved after other teams ruining our hard work, it was just Mallorca's turn to be done over."

Real Sociedad
attachment.php
0-0 View attachment 260582 Racing (Copa del Rey 4th Round 2nd Leg)
(C.Martinez s/o 57)
Key Stats
Possession 37-63
Shots 5-4
On Target 4-0
Clear Cut Chances 0-0

View attachment 260599
A performance to forget and now out of the cup; we played so poorly up front especially that my desire to bring a proven scorer to San Sebastian grew to the levels of desire I felt for Bella. There was no positives in this match, the only result was fining and transfer listing Martinez. That's how I roll after continual disciplinary offences.

Soundbyte of the Match: "Speak to Oleg."

Real Sociedad
attachment.php
5-0 View attachment 260583 Zaragoza
(Inigo Martinez 12; Rochina 21, 26, 30; Adrien 45)
Key Stats
Possession 51-49
Shots 22-3
On Target 12-0
Clear Cut Chances 1-0

View attachment 260598
Perfect display and Rochina lights up the show. His fine form is continuing and with my smiles are becoming more frequent. After the diabolical home-showing against Racing we needed an emphatic performance like this and it was truly great to watch. Inigo did another trademark goal from range which set us up for a romp at the Anoeta.

Soundbyte of the Match: "Just what the doctor ordered, Rochina shouldn't have been let go by Barca is all I can say."

Not quite like this one though;

<font><font size="2"><span style="font-family:courier new;">[video=youtube;mt5t8qMb9Kg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt5t8qMb9Kg[/video]

Valencia
View attachment 260584 2-3
attachment.php
Real Sociedad
(Rochina 44,50,72)
Key Stats
Possession 55-45
Shots 15-12
On target 6-9
Clear Cut Chances 1-4

View attachment 260597
Great result, absolutely amazing result. Despite Valencia underachieving slightly so far this term, I am delighted to beat arguably the 3rd best team in the league away from home. The fact that Soldado is transfer-listed by request following discontent with the team's showing, aided us defensively as Soldado was wrapped up with ease by our defence. Valencia were fportunate to score twice in my opinion, and at 2-2 I was worried, but the 72nd minute winner and hat-trick-sealer from Rochina made the night a great night for Sociedad. Call me crazy but I still want a great goalscorer despite Rochina's run of form, since he can play on the wings also and his elft foot on the right is missed when Prieto plays there.

Soundbyte of the Match: "A warning to the so-called big sides, we will not roll over. Period."

Performer of the Month:
View attachment 260612
Rochina (Of Course);
8 goals in 5 is a great return from a striker used to being more deep-lying!

Objectives from Last Month:
- Definitely on track to beat Osasuna (7th VS 9th)
- Not anywhere near Athetlic, they're storming it in 3rd
- Striker almost done, but will it be Cristaldo?

Objectives for Next Month:
- Sign a Striker
- Make up ground on Athletic and gain more distance ahead of Osasuna.

Since our late night phone call, I've not heard much from Bella, maybe she's busy at work... I wish she were busy elsewhere though; the phone call torments my every lone moment....

Last edited:
December
Real Sociedad View attachment 260676 0-2 View attachment 260677Sevilla
Key Stats
Possession 46-54
Shots 12-12
On target 3-9
Clear Cut Chances 1-1

We deserved more; just. I am not entirely surprised as Sevilla boast some experienced internationals like Navas and Negredo, so the loss wasn't too painful, however, the lack of goals was a slight concern. A bid for a striker must happen soon; and it will.

Soundbyte of the Match:"Again, we didn't deserve this. Football is a harsh lady sometimes."

Atletico Madrid View attachment 260679 5-2
attachment.php
Real Sociedad
(Rochina 25, 34)
Key Stats
Possession 54-46
Shots 15-13
On target 8-3
Clear Cut Chances 2-2

Falcao on form, 'nuff said. However I was in despair how we were playing better BEFORE Atleti had a man sent off. At 3-2 and 55minutes played, I had assumed we'd go on to grab a point or even all 3, but to my utter disappointment, we conceded twice more; sloppy ones too. Rochina is slotting away goals at a decent pace now, but I need more. Especially considering the amount he wastes, despite the goals he does get... Cristaldo por favor.

Soundbyte of the Match:"Can't you see I'm angry? Go speak to Oleg you little errand boy."
Athletic View attachment 260678 1-0
attachment.php
Real Sociedad
Key Stats
Possession 54-46
Shots 12-12
On target 4-4
Clear Cut Chances 4-1

We deserved at least a point. But, that's football and we've lost for the 3rd time in a row in a torrid month. Slipping to 12th in the table and losing the derby is especially painful. However, a deal has been done. More further down the page.

Soundbyte of the Match: "We wanted an deserve more, I can only say I'm sorry to the fans for our collective performance and result."

Sleep Deprivation Leads to Record Signing!
dcristaldo300x300.jpg

I walk into a placid and ordinary atmosphere at the conference room. Nobody is particularly excited about this conference due to the date and the lack of obvious link to our resoundingly bad month.

"Ladies and gentleman, I'd like to announce that we have agreed a deal with the Ukrainian club Metalist for the signature of Jonathan Cristaldo formerly of Velez Sarsfield. He will be joining us on the 2nd of January for a fee of 15,250,000 Euros."

There is exclamations in the journo crowd. Suddenly the conference room is alive. This is a scoop for these guys, unfortunately for them, Bella has probably already written an article awaiting the finite details before she sends it to her editor.

A gruff looking journo who needs a shave steps up.

"Such a Large transfer fee, why and how will you pay it?"

My response almost makes me laugh because of the embarassing honesty.

"I was really tired in email-negotiations and didn't realise I'd bid so much, I intended to bid around 12, but I didn't notice it was just that high before I'd completed the deal. We can afford it though, it will be a long term 48 month deal and it will mean we can comfortably pay the fee. Don't expect no more signings in the coming windows though, this is only the beginning."

With that, as usual, I walk out the conference before their questions are over; questions are over when I feel like it.

January
Transfers;

View attachment 260716
Gaby Mudingayi (Free; Deal to Complete 01.07.12)
I took advantage of 30 year old Belgian international Mudingayi's contract situation with Inter and snapped him up on day one of January to secure his arrival for next season on a free. Primarily for midfield steel, despite being 30, he adds welcome experience and stability to my line-up.

View attachment 260720
Vicente Guaita (3,900,000 Euros)
Transfer-listed by request on the last day of the window, I had to sign him to replace the temporary Manuel Almunia following Bravo's departure for 4.4million to Schalke on the last day of the summer window (forgot to add it, apologies). I am excited as he's a great Spanish keeper, and thus coincides with my intended emphasis on Spanish and French players (preferring even more so Basque nationality, of course).

View attachment 260729
Suso (7,500,000 Euros)
Needing a replacement for the ****-head that is Zurutuza, I picked up Suso very early on into the season, he has great potential and will only get better as I give him more game time. Being a Spaniard, I am keeping my domestic bias around 75%+ so that's ideal. Liverpool will feel this loss in the coming years, I'm fairly confident.

Season's ins and outs:
transfers1stseason.png

Real Sociedad View attachment 260731 4-3 View attachment 260732 FC Barcelona
(Cristaldo 7,50,55,78)
Key Stats
Possession 43-57
Shots 21-10
On target 12-5
Clear Cut Chances 3-2

Excluding possession, we just dominated the league leaders. Their quality showed through their clinical finishing, but the sheer amount of joy we had in their half when we did have the ball rung true in the final result. The amazing Cristaldo bagging 4 goals on his debut was just a delight. I can tell already that my careless 15million splurge will at least be value for money!

Real Sociedad
attachment.php
2-0 View attachment 260735 Granada
(Cristaldo 7; De la Bella 48)
Key Stats
Possession 47-53
Shots 15-6
On Target 6-2
Clear Cut Chances 2-1

A solid win and another goal for my new dangerman Cristaldo. Perfect buy my team needed, we look much more threatening and he finishes nearly everything. I no longer regret lavishing such a large fee on him, as he's repaying me already at a great rate. De la Bella had a good game, getting forward and got his name on the score sheet, a rarity for him; hopefully he can find some consistency following this performance, as he's lacked repeat performances of quality.

Real Sociedad
attachment.php
1-1 View attachment 260739 Malaga
(Prieto pen 41)
Key Stats
Possession 43-57
Shots 14-12
On target 7-5
Clear Cut Chances 4-4

Captain getting his first goal of the season, but i was disappointed that we lost the 3 points from this game. We were looking like victors until the last 10 minutes where Malaga threatened until they broke us. Not a bad point but we had 3 in our grasp. I had hoped to exact revenge for the earlier defeat but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Osasuna View attachment 260740 1-2
attachment.php
Real Sociedad
(Cristaldo 28,75)
Key Stats
Possession 51-49
Shots 10-11
On target 4-5
Clear Cut Chances 0-3

Another two goals from what is seeming to be a stroke of genius signing. Further to that delight, we have secured a 6 point double over our close neighbors and this has brought jubilation to the fans on the streets of San Sebastian. Despite grabbing an injury-time consolation, Osasuna were comfortable swept aside by my Sociedad side and the Pamplonians most likely went to their homes that night fully humbled.

Trials on the Transfers

Following my transfers I was required to hold a press conference to explain to the public my additions and why I thought they were valuable to the team. Instantly as I enter, I can tell theres something different from the last appearance I made; Bella is here. I see her through the crowd without any trouble. In my moment of focus on her presence, a question is projected from the crowd.

"So Mr Bowen, following your admirable victory over Barca, I guess you're pleased you've further strengthened a side of causing such an upset?"

"Yes" I reply. "Suso is a talented young man and in wake of Zurutuza's departure for professional-relationship issues, we required a gifted playmaker. I am very pleased to have signed Cristaldo obviously, as he's bagged many a goal already; sharpening our blunt tools if you will. Guaita is a perfect signing for the club, young, Spanish and a natural No.1 for any team across the world; I'm surprised Valencia played him so little even amidst the presence of Diego Alves."

Without warning however, a verbal injury is sent flying across the room to my ears.

"Good stuff, so can you explain how Bella Santamaria found out about the Suso transfer so soon before it was announced? Miss Santamaria published the news on the 16th of October, yet, you've only just announced his arrival today on the 2nd of January..."

A good reply was needed, It would be supremely awkward if anyone knew of our flirtations...

"I guess she has much better sources than you other guys do; take a page from her book, looks like you could use it."

Passable at least. Again I leave by my own admission and I am swiftly accompanied by Bella as she hurried to my office after sucha question.

"Are you okay, Joe? That was quite a difficult situation you had on your hands there..."

She genuinely looked sincerely concerned, but the moment had passed and I wanted to catch her out, it's been a while since I've been doing the controlling.

"Not as difficult a situation as you'd have if you signed for me...."

With that she closed the door and signed for me despite all the speculation of the San Sebastian media men. Great job by me this month...

Good read, very interesting to see another Sociedad story.
I'm really flying in my Sociedad save and love it one of the best fm saves ever.
Got to ask though, why did you sell bravo? Top quality keeper hard to sign a replacement as Sociedad have low stature and funds at the start.
I have also signed Ruben Rochina, but he's my third striker. Great Stats but never prolific enough for me.
If you have any questions let me know. Oh, and don't sell Inigo Martinez , Griezzman, Illaramendi or Prieto. They're vital.

Loving this :) Keep it up :)

Just one thing, could you show us the ladder, player and team stats and other info etc. You don't have to do it every month but just occassionally :)

Last edited:
Good read, very interesting to see another Sociedad story.
I'm really flying in my Sociedad save and love it one of the best fm saves ever.
Got to ask though, why did you sell bravo? Top quality keeper hard to sign a replacement as Sociedad have low stature and funds at the start.
I have also signed Ruben Rochina, but he's my third striker. Great Stats but never prolific enough for me.
If you have any questions let me know. Oh, and don't sell Inigo Martinez , Griezzman, Illaramendi or Prieto. They're vital.

I've found Prieto lacklustre, but yeah the other three aren't going anywhere. I sold Bravo because I got 4,4million for him; and in LFC Marshall's update, Almunia is free, so I used the opportunity to make some cash cause I had worries about Joseba Llorente going forward originally anyhow.

Loving this :) Keep it up :)

Just one thing, could you show us the ladder, player and team stats and other info etc. You don't have to do it every month but just occassionally :)

Will do, trouble is, I've not taken a screenshot of table until the beginning of April (finished the season cause I got a little hooked in xD), and I don't think I can get the previous tables back for a picture =/?

Fabulous February
Real Sociedad
attachment.php
7-1 View attachment 260898 Rayo
(Cristaldo 10,13,18,58,83,90+1; Griezmann 23)
Key Stats
Possession 43-57
Shots 21-7
On target 11-3
Clear Cut Chances 5-1

Although possession once again was low (and at home worringly), we absolutely stormed Vallecano to add more misery to their debt-ridden concerns. Cristaldo is looking like a quality buy still, a double hat-trick is insane for a team such as mine and he truly is a quality striker. Admittedly, he got two easy corner goals, but oen or two of the goals were just superb; the sole Argentine of my team bringing some flair ^__^.

Deportivo La Coruna View attachment 260899 1-3
attachment.php
Real Sociedad
(Rochina pen 14,74; Griezmann 90+4)
Key Stats
Possession 48-52
Shots 9-11
On Target 4-4
Clear Cut Chances 1-4

A great win in the bag and surprisingly it was Rochina emerging from newboy Cristaldo's shadow and showing his class. A gret inside forward display that deserved the brace he attained. Possession was much better this time after I toned down the length of passing by 2 notches and I thoroughly enjoyed beating our fellow North-Coasters. Griezmann following up with a heeky late goal as if often the case with him, I am hoping he gets a call up for France, he deserves it so far. *cough* Malouda *cough*

Real Sociedad
attachment.php
6-0 View attachment 260900 Levante
(Pardo 6; Rochina 28; Adrien 41; Cristaldo 55,62,75)
Key Stats
Possession 52-48
Shots 20-5
On target 11-1
Clear Cut Chances 4-1

My yongster DLP Pardo got us to a flying start with a magical 20 yard drive, which from what I could tell spurred other on to beat it's quality! Rochina unleashed a ridonculous 25 yard curler from the right 22minutes later, only for Adrien to step up on 41 minutes and thunderbolt one in from 35 yards! Touche! With Levante thoroughly beaten, up stepped Cristaldo and just piled on the hurt; 9th goal in 3 games, stunning.

Real Sociedad
attachment.php
1-1 View attachment 260901Real Madrid
(Cristaldo 51)
Key Stats
Possession 46-54
Shots 19-5
On target 5-1
Clear Cut Chances 3-1

So very very close to another upset. Kaka's 89th minute equaliser really knocked the steam out of my team, but of course we are proud of our display and effort as we limited the league-chasers to barely any chances and in essence deserved to win and should've had more goals. Again, that's football, but they did me proud. Cristaldo with No.10 already this month, disgusting stuff.
Objectives for coming month: Keep this s*** up!

A Visit from Johnathan

Bella has just left after we put the finishing touches to our contract agreement and there was a rap of knuckles on my door."Come in" I reply casually

The door creaks open and in-steps my golden striker Cristaldo. He looks very anxious but also very excited; like a boy on Christmas.

"Hey coach, I just came in to have a little talk, I'm slightly concerned but there is also great news." His voice is pitch-wobbly, something serious might be up..."What is it John?"
"After my goals this month, I'm worried everyone expects so much of me now, I just hope I don't let them down..." His voice drags, it's obviously plagued him in between the jubilation of being on such great form.
"Don't worry Johnathan, you just do what can do on the pitch. It's a team sport and although you do some superb solo efforts, it's definitely not just your responsibility to grab goals; at the very least the team should offer some up on a plate for you!" I try my best to reconcile his worries, we need him feeling good to succeed.

"Thanks coach, that helps alot, the good side is though, everyone knows my name! even the local models!" with that he winks and leaves my office.

Good lad that Cristaldo.

Current Position: 6th; 12 points behind Athetlic in 3rd (lost cause), 8 points ahead of Osasuna
Sorry for lack of screenshot, got ahead of myself. I have noted my monthly positions though.

Mixed March

Betis View attachment 260914 0-4 View attachment 260913 Real Sociedad
(Griezmann 13; Cristaldo 31,41,52)
Key Stats
Possession 54-46
Shots 16-11
On target 5-7
Clear Cut Chances 2-2

Fortuitous win, but I think we deserved it; not by 4 goals though. Credit to Betis, they played very well, just like we were in the early part of the season, they were a blunt weapon. No cutting edge. Cristaldo at it again, our talk obviously helped! Griezmann sneaking a goal again, good stuff to see from my wonderkid.

Espanyol View attachment 260915 0-3
attachment.php
Real Sociedad

(Cristaldo 39; Illaramendi 63; Rochina 84)
Key stats
Possession 45-55
Shots 10-15
On target 2-5
Clear Cut Chances 1-3

Deserved win, controlled, pulled, sliced. We were a machine, it’s almost as if we’re in auto-pilot on the highest gear we have. I’m not tempted by anti-depressants nowadays on the touchline, my team are turning on the style with the signing of Cristaldo the catalyst.

Valldolid
View attachment 260916 1-1
attachment.php
Real Sociedad

(Cristaldo 28)
Key stats
Possession 49-51
Shots 10-12
On target 3-4
Clear Cut Chances 1-2

All great form comes to an end but we did deserve the win. We edged every affair in a slight margin and if Suso had buried his chance, we’d be talking about another triplet of points but unfortunately we dropped 2 against the bottom side and this may hurt us in the hunt for a Champions League spot, of which we are close to despite not being worthy of it.

Real Sociedad
attachment.php
1-2 View attachment 260917 Getafe

(Illaramendi 75)
Key stats
Possession 42-58
Shots 8-10
On target 2-6
Clear Cut Chances 2-2

Our form at a dead end now, outplayed by Getafe despite the fact we should’ve seized a point at the death. I am disappointed at being beaten by the Burger King Bunch, but we’re still in a good position, just not with a cushion of points anymore.

Celta View attachment 260918 3-3
attachment.php
Real Sociedad

(Cristaldo 17,32; Griezmann 64)
Key stats
Possession 55-45
Shots 9-11
On target 6-4
Clear Cut Chances 2-3

Could’ve and Should’ve won. But we have picked up some goals at the very least, that’s a positive. Not much to say, great to see Griezmann on the scoresheet, Cristaldo as usual pounding opposition goalies, but just not the desired result.

Objectives for next month: return to February’s form.
Youth Intake

We got quite a good player for AMC, probably a future first-teamer but I have bigger a better news!
View attachment 260919

Whilst searching Bayonne and then French teams in general I found:
View attachment 260920View attachment 260921

I signed Kersley Hailu there and then for 3million, and will keep tabs on Rousseau until he becomes a pro when I can sign him (he signed a pre-contract and I cannot get him to sign :( ). Rousseau is Basque Whoop!! Future Deep-lying forward or Trequartista for me :D

Position in league: 7th, still way below Athletic and way above Osasuna.

Last edited:
I used a 4-2-3-1 to begin with and now use a 4-1-2-2-1 (Anchorman, DLP, CM:A with two IFs and a Poacher)