The Wolves Thread

Wilko

Reaction score
The Wolverhampton Wanderers Thread

wolves_badge-1.png

A sleeping giant, finally waking up.

A Brief History Of Wolverhampton Wanderers:

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club is a professional football club representing the city of Wolverhampton, in the West Midlands region of England, and currently playing in the Premier League. Commonly referred to by its nickname "Wolves", the club was founded in 1877 and since 1889 has played at Molineux. Historically, Wolves have been highly influential, most notably as being founder members of the Football League, as well as having played an instrumental role in the establishment of the European Cup, later to become the UEFA Champions League.

Having won the FA Cup twice before the outbreak of the First World War, Wolves consolidated their reputation as a top side under the legendary management of ex-player Stan Cullis after the Second World War, going on to win the league three times and the FA Cup twice between 1949 and 1960. It was at this time that the European Cup competition was established, after the English press declared Wolves "Champions of the World" following their victories against such top European and World sides as South Africa, Racing, Spartak Moscow, and Honvéd in some of football's first live televised games.

Wolves have yet to match the successes of the Stan Cullis era, although they did contest the first UEFA Cup final in 1972 against Tottenham Hotspur, and won the League Cup in 1974 under Bill McGarry and again in 1980 under John Barnwell. However, a decline set in and they found themselves in the Fourth Division by 1986, before a revival and back-to-back promotions under manager Graham Turner and record goalscorer Steve Bull saw them finish the decade in the Second Division, winning the Football League Trophy along the way. Their 19-year exile from the top flight ended when manager Dave Jones guided the club to promotion to the Premier League for a solitary season. A new approach under former Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy saw the club promoted back to the Premier League in 2009 as Football League Championship Champions. Wolves are now in their third season in the Premier League.

Nation: England
Year Founded: 1877
Chairman Status: Loves the club
Legends: Jack Hayward, Stan Cullis, Billy Wright, Steve Bull
Icons: Derek Parkin, John Richards
Favoured Personnel: Matt Murray, Ron Flowers, Robbie Keane
Derbies: Black Country Derby (Vs West Bromwich Albion)
Fierce Rivals: West Bromwich Albion
Other Rivals: Birmingham, Aston Villa, Stoke
Captain: Roger Johnson

Stadium Name: Molineux
Capacity: 29,303 all seater
Year Built: 1889
Owned By: Wolves
Stadium Condition: Good
Under Soil Heating: Yes

wolves_badge-1sd.png

BTW: Made this thread because I've seen a growing number of Wolves members on this Forum, and felt like we should have one.

Last edited:
Jarvis, Johnson, Ward are all good players.

Got a growing soft spot for Wolves I have to say.

And their renovation of the stadium to increase capacity to 36000 by 2014 as well, big plans at Wolves.

Also heard talk that if they stay in the Premier League until 2015 they will expand Molineux to 50000, amazing vision at the club.

Why don't we make a QPR thread while we are at it?

Oh, there's already one... :D

YES FINALLY, I put a cheeky £5 bet on wolves going to europe next year after our unbeaten start to the season ;)

Jarvis, Johnson, Ward are all good players.

Got a growing soft spot for Wolves I have to say.

And their renovation of the stadium to increase capacity to 36000 by 2014 as well, big plans at Wolves.

Also heard talk that if they stay in the Premier League until 2015 they will expand Molineux to 50000, amazing vision at the club.

We're also developing our Training ground, Also love the face Fulham came to us last week and sang "Three Stands, you've only got three stands", found it funny that they can't see we're developing.

Yet we still managed 22,657 vs Fulham, with three stands,
And our rivals, WBA managed 22,907 vs Stoke. Laughable really.

(training ground: Wolves unveil plans for new training complex « Express & Star)

text_separator.jpg

Talking Point:

Johnsonsmallest.jpg

Roger Johnson signed for Wolves for what is rumoured to be around the £4.5m mark. Bargain! What is everyone else's opinion, and was Mick McCarthy right to name him Club Captain?

wolves_badge-1sd.png

Last edited:
Jarvis keep playing well to carry my fantasy team ;) I always kind of liked Wolves ever since they had durritos as their shirt sponsor :p

Jarvis keep playing well to carry my fantasy team ;) I always kind of liked Wolves ever since they had durritos as their shirt sponsor :p

Jarvo is on fire, R. Johnson is gettin me my points :p and yeah, quite liked it, apart from Albion coming up with a sh*tty saying: Division One Rejects In Tatty Orange Shirts, i was in year 4 at the time and all i used to hear was that :p back then it was a brilliant insult for the fellow year 4s :p

Haha, I don't really comment on here (Just mainly read) but there's about time there was a wolves thread! Sick of seeing these 'big clubs' threads.

Anyway, good start from us. 7 points from the first three games. Just hope we can carry on beating the times around us. If we want to push on to becoming a mid-table side I'm hoping we can sign a LB and a Midfielder to challenge Karl Henry for his spot on deadline day. I hate to say it but as well as he has played, Ward isn't a premiership proven player. I was hoping we were going to sign Stephen Warnock but seems to be in Alex Mcleish's plans.

Roger Johnson's been different class, and for £4m? What a bargain! Let's hope we go and grab Scott Dann along with him. ;)

Come on you wolves. <3

Hearing rumours that birmingham are desparate to get rid of Scott Dann and possibly Ridgewell wages, and that wolves could make a 5 mil take it or leave it offer for both

Scott Dann looks set for QPR, but i'm sure if we come in for him (havin his partner Johnson, along with being a Bigger club than QPR) i think that he'd come to us! I agree with you James (MrJamez), we do need a LB, but i can't fault Wardy for any of his performances, he was MOTM for me vs Villa, and i also think Karl Henry gets far too many critics, I even got so ****** off on Saturday i created an article (see below.)

If i was manager my targets would be: Scott Dann, Liam Ridgewell and Scotty Parker (hijack their bid, might be tempted?)

(Article on Wolves forum, if you read i have lots of support with the article, also sign up to 12yards, Wolves very active on their, and some good reads! :D : Wolverhampton Wanderers | Premier League | 12Yards - Englands number One Football Discussion Site )

Agreed on Ward having an excellent performance, annoyed we didn't start Albrighton against him after he ripped him apart last year.

Quite like Wolves, hope they keep doing well. RoJo's an excellent signing, and Fletcher's brilliant.

Agreed on Ward having an excellent performance, annoyed we didn't start Albrighton against him after he ripped him apart last year.

Quite like Wolves, hope they keep doing well. RoJo's an excellent signing, and Fletcher's brilliant.

Nice to see a Villa fan talking some sence, Albrighton was decent when he come on, Nzogbia didn't look nothing like he was at Wigan. Your right on Roger Johnson, handled Bent well and Fletcher had a quiet game the weekend, but yeah, love him. Wouldn't mind Warnock off you, wish we'd got him when Houllier was there. Think just for this season It will be Mid table for all midlands teams, hope Blues come up so more derbies! :D

Nice to see a Villa fan talking some sence, Albrighton was decent when he come on, Nzogbia didn't look nothing like he was at Wigan. Your right on Roger Johnson, handled Bent well and Fletcher had a quiet game the weekend, but yeah, love him. Wouldn't mind Warnock off you, wish we'd got him when Houllier was there. Think just for this season It will be Mid table for all midlands teams, hope Blues come up so more derbies! :D

Was a bit of a **** game, wasn't it? :p

N'Zogbia's been a bit disappointing on the surface of it so far, but if you dig deeper so far his stats compare favourably to his time at Wigan. Was rubbish against you though. Lucky you didn't get Warnock when Houllier was with us, he's turning in solid performances again.

Hope the Blues don't come up, it's more fun laughing at them. :p

I agree with you, cannot fault Wardy either. He's been superb recently (Made that last minute tackle against Fulham and scored that cracker against Blackburn - still don't get how he didn't get much credit over that. If that was Wayne Rooney it'd be all over SSN and the papers) I just don't think we can rely on him week in week out.

I also agree with you about Karl Henry. He doesn't deserve the stick he gets, It's so frustrating though everytime he passes the ball backwards. For me, he's either really good on his day or really *****. I still get behind him though, I'm not one of those fans who seems to blame it on a player.

And interesting read that, will have to read somemore of your articles.

For me, my signings would be:
LB - Ryan Bertrand (Loan) - Seems a decent shout as there's not many good LB's about and what I've seen of him he's been good. Lack of Premiership experience may be a worry though.
CM - Wilson Palacios - Looks like he's going to Stoke but would deffo go for him. Cannot see Scotty Parker coming to us unfortunatly, He's on what? 50k a week and living in London.. He'll be off to spurs but would love to see him here.
CB - Sebastian Bassong (sp?) - Not in 'arry's plans and him and Johnson would be perfect together with there height.

Was a bit of a **** game, wasn't it? :p

N'Zogbia's been a bit disappointing on the surface of it so far, but if you dig deeper so far his stats compare favourably to his time at Wigan. Was rubbish against you though. Lucky you didn't get Warnock when Houllier was with us, he's turning in solid performances again.

Hope the Blues don't come up, it's more fun laughing at them. :p

Yep, shocked at all the empty seats on both sides, although if you look at the prices, i had to pay £30 for my ticket! Very expensive imo, plus my dad had to pay £42!! Anyway, getting side tracked.

With Wolves having troubles at Left back and Centre back, i think we could have done with getting Armand Traore, On loan or Full transfer, he seems decent. Wolves need a left back to challenge Wardy, Elokobi just isn't good enough, and we need a back up striker for Doyle and Fletch, with Sylvan out for a month, Leigh going on loan up Scotland, and Maiehoffer leaving, Vokes is not a Premier League striker, he struggled at Northampton and was lucky to get his goal at the end, and when he scored (right infront of me, the releif at getting his goal looking immense!)

@James, Like the sound of all three, although the sound of Bertrand reminds me of Mancienne, Superb Championship, average Prem player, His inexperience showed against Blues away (his header for Larson's goal). But great calls on Palacios and Bassong, I think spurs have a few options, Whats happened to Walker? Could he maybe play LB? hmmm!

(Armand Traore: Traore to undergo QPR medical | Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News )

Last edited:
utterly honest question to wolves fans:
you sung 'who the f*ck are man united' at the weekend, do you hate us? if so why? and do you actually think we care about you?
and i do actually like wolves because of mccarthy!

utterly honest question to wolves fans:
you sung 'who the f*ck are man united' at the weekend, do you hate us? if so why? and do you actually think we care about you?
and i do actually like wolves because of mccarthy!

I was there, and no we don't hate united, although we know that United are one of the most hated clubs, we was singing it 'sarcastically' as we we're top of the league with seven points (you not playing till sunday), no hatred we we're just singing it, havin' a laugh at being top of the league! :) Sorry <3 ;)

text_separator.jpg

Another note: Looks like Blackburn have come in for Scott Dann, i know they have lots of money, but surely we could match it, And I'm sure he'd pick us over Rovers, Rodger Johnson and all that!!

(Rovers in for Dann: Rovers move for Dann | Football News | Sky Sports )

I was there, and no we don't hate united, although we know that United are one of the most hated clubs, we was singing it 'sarcastically' as we we're top of the league with seven points (you not playing till sunday), no hatred we we're just singing it, havin' a laugh at being top of the league! :) Sorry <3 ;)
oh yeh sorry i forgot you went top lol, were back where we belong anyway now!
wolves always give us a decent game at OT especially the two last year, great away too (with the exception of last year)

oh yeh sorry i forgot you went top lol, were back where we belong anyway now!
wolves always give us a decent game at OT especially the two last year, great away too (with the exception of last year)

Yep, We put up a few good fights in Carling cups / FA cups. Only thing what upset me at OT was when Mick put out the reserves when I'd paid £42 for tickets! Plus us winning at Molineux with Big George gettin them both.

Been to old trafford alot, before i started going to all away games aswell as home, i went to OT in the 2003/04 season, when you beat us 1-0 (O'shea 27min) scored the winner, I acctually cried when Henri Camara missed virtually an open goal :\ haha! Wouldn't mind Wellbeck on loan for the season, or maybe Machadea (sp?)

Would also love Tom Cleverly but i know that it will never happen, quality player there!

Yep, We put up a few good fights in Carling cups / FA cups. Only thing what upset me at OT was when Mick put out the reserves when I'd paid £42 for tickets! Plus us winning at Molineux with Big George gettin them both.
lol i remember that game, was actually the ron next to the away fans. i distinctly remember having to empty the hood on my coat at the end of the game with ripped up tickets lol.
think i'll give you lot away a miss this year as i bring bad luck (my only two trips were the miller 1-0 and last seasons elokobi embarrasment)