Tips, Hints and Links To Make A Better FM Story

Kylo

MAAAATTT DAMMOONNNNNN
Reaction score
Afternoon to you story tellers out there,

After reading a thread constructed by Sean, many of you out there agree that the 'Stories' section of this site is nothing but boring challenges. In this thread, the many people that agreed with Sean's statements did not provide help for the many story tellers out there on FM-base. So, i've constructed a thread with many tips, hints and links to help you get the best out of your story and to keep people interested.

Fake Articles

4d31335ef2cb465cb6ce1b62a0249eb6.0.jpg

An example used by Sean to encourage members to use the various editing sites and to create a more realistic story for us readers. As mentioned, this can be used at many times of your career, and is very easy to construct and add to your thread.

Links to fake article sites:

http://www.fodey.com/generators/newspaper/snippet.asp
(The site used in my example, very easy to use)

http://www.inthepaper.co.uk/
(Another good sight, but with less freedom of story choice)

http://www.makingthenews.co.uk/
(A good site for a selection of teams that you make new signings with, check it out)

Highlights/Goals of each match

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55fVyF1Z-w&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55fVyF1Z-w&feature=related[/ame]

An idea first used by Redders, it is time consuming but is VERY helpful to keep people interested in your story. It takes a few steps to do, but creates a much better storyline.

First step - Go into your match, click match controls, save highlight.

View attachment 32635

Second step - Name your video, and save in the already chosen document and press 'save'.

View attachment 32636

Third step - Minimize your game, and open my documents.

View attachment 32637

Fourth step - Search the name of your video and wait.

View attachment 32638

View attachment 32639

Fifth step - Find your video in the results, to make sure you have saved it.

View attachment 32640

Sixth step - Create a youtube account, or sign in to your current one.

Seventh step - Go into 'My Vidoes'.

Eighth step - Click 'Upload video'.

Ninth step - Find your file in my documents. If you are struggling to find it, it should be in here:

Documents>SportsInteractive>FootballManager2010>matches

Tenth step - Confirm the video you want to upload, and continue.

Eleventh step - Keep following the route until you have finally uploaded your video.

Twelth step - Your video should now be on youtube, now you can just post the link onto your thread, and BAM. Your match highlights.

:WARNING:
-If you are unable to view your video due to the video output or something along the lines of that, you will need to change the video file type. Use this website to do this..

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html
Download this, and find your file then select the right file save type.

Hope this helped, there may be flaws in my instructions, if so, point them out. I've never tried this before, but i think this should work.

10 ways to keep people reading your story:
  1. Add a link in your signature about your thread.
  2. Sign big name playersm such as Beckham signing for a Championship side.
  3. Add details about other things happening in your save, such as managers being sacked and high fee transfers.
  4. Update with each MONTH in the game, not per game or per sequence of games.
  5. When in the transfer market, only update with a high fee transfer.
  6. Add details about the match, giving the reader a good idea of what happened.
  7. Make the thread look tidy, it will encourage people to stay, just like a house.
  8. Add pictures, since the age of 5, we've all loved them.
  9. Interact with your readers, ask them for occasional advice, but do not overload them with qeustions or let them run the story.
  10. Secretly advertise your story, as mentioned above, adding a link in your signature is sneaky, but if your on another story and they talk about a transfer which you also recently made, then mention about your story, but don't spam or advertise blaintently. (A)
Create your own kit

This gives a really neat look to the thread, creating your own kit is something that makes your story unique to all the others. I would recommend trying it out :)

Here is the link for the templates of kits:

http://www.fmstyle.co.uk/forums/fm09-templates/2496-kit-templates.html

You will need to download a photoshop editor to make your kits look better :)
Also.. Another thead about the fake articles..

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f81/basic-story-templates-t29283.html

Other things to try in your story:
  • Doing what we call "A joint story" with another member, it gains more interest.
  • Have a catchy name of the thread, but nothing stupid or off-topic.
  • If you have close friends on the site, ask them to take a look and comment, it will gain more attention and won't count as spam if your asking them.
  • If your thread is not gaining enough attention, try to be more impulsive.
  • Make sure your introduction is formal and good, nothing shabby.
  • If you get fired, let us know, we won't be hanging onto your story for a long time. If you cannot update for whatever reason, also let us know.
  • Share your tactics and player stats with the readers, get them involved. 8-|
Thats about all from me, please comment back with your views on the above topics, and anythings you like to put in your stories. Feel free to comment about any of the fake articles or videos, as i'm sure many of you are interested.

Thanks,
FourFourTwo.

Last edited:
Thanks FourFourTwo another great thread! Will look into trying these methods

Grear thread, I didnt know making videos was so easy o_O, I usually use Fraps to record.

Sitcky this mods :D

That newspaper article thing looks so easy ! A lot easier than the BBC Sport thing! should be STICKIED!!

Can you put images into the newspaper FourFourTwo?

I have tried this on a thread FourFourTwo. (The Newspaper Article) Thanks a lot!

I cant get any images into the article?

Haha nice but i already use some these methods in my zizou story, but this will help other, that dont know as much, nice thread

Another quality thread fourfourtwo, well done mate, some good advice here

I have done a newspaper on my story could you guys have a look see what you think?

That newspaper article thing looks so easy ! A lot easier than the BBC Sport thing! should be STICKIED!!

Can you put images into the newspaper FourFourTwo?

You can, but only on certain sites. I think the second link provided is one that you can put images in, but i will find another link to a site that you can put pictures in, i used a great one a few years back, just trying to find it for you guys :)

stuck :D

nice job 442

Thanks a lot mate :) Will be adding more to the thread to help you guys out, i hope Sean can get a read of this :)

I have done a newspaper on my story could you guys have a look see what you think?

Will take a look mate :) Thanks for using my advice. (K)

Gonna try this video thing. Cheers.

Yet another great thread FourFourTwo. Cheers for this, hopefully everybody's stories will be more interesting now :D

Gonna try this video thing. Cheers.

Okay :) Thanks for commenting. I think the Video highlights should work, if not then i will adjust the instructions. Theres other ways of adding videos to your thread also. As mentioned above, you can use FRAPS. Its easier than my idea i think, but you have to download and know what to do with it, but then again, you will have to sort out all the output types etc. when using mine. If you get any problems, i'm happy to help or change the instructions :)

Okay :) Thanks for commenting. I think the Video highlights should work, if not then i will adjust the instructions. Theres other ways of adding videos to your thread also. As mentioned above, you can use FRAPS. Its easier than my idea i think, but you have to download and know what to do with it, but then again, you will have to sort out all the output types etc. when using mine. If you get any problems, i'm happy to help or change the instructions :)

I've used the fake article in my story and they have made my story look better, thanks :) My story is in my sig if you want to take a look and give me any advice.

I still dont know how to get a video on because I went on to my match and clicked on 'save'

??