Tottenham Hotspur - The end of mediocrity

Reaction score
'Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy was today pleased to announce young manager Ollie Riley as new Spurs manager, after a sensational surprise move from Harry Redknapp back to Portsmouth.

"Despite his lack of first team managerial experience, I feel Ollie here will be the spark to ignite the Spurs flame and take us into a new era of European football."

Spurs fans are said to have qualms about the appointment of Riley, a former England international with 43 caps and 9 goals to his name, stating that a successfull playing career does not automatically equate to being good in the dugout.

Riley will doubtless be wanting to prove his far from confident fanbase wrong with a strong pre-season and a push towards Europe - something many believe to be a distinct possibility for Spurs this season.'

Pre-Season:
Signings

In a sensational double-swoop, new Spurs manager Ollie Riley has beaten several clubs to gaining the signatures of England superstar David Beckham and his former Manchester United team-mate Ruud Van Nistlerooy from Real Madrid for a combined total believed to be around £2m. Riley explained these signings to the press as a " much-needed addition of European playing experience to the squad" and going on to state that he feels van Nistlerooy and Beckham can provide "a wealth of class and skill to a squad already boasting exciting potential."

These signings no doubt overshadowed the other capture for Tottenham, young and gifted midfielder Sotiris Ninis from Panathanaikos for £3.7m. Fans were said to be reserving judgement on the young Ninis, with his credentials lacking and experience unproven, but were very happy with the signings of big-guns Beckham and van Nistlerooy.

Results:

Spurs 3 - 1 Spurs Reserves
A two-minute double from Peter Crouch and a Luka Modric penalty helped see off the Reserves in a match that players were evidently trying to impress in.

Spurs 3 - 2 Leicester City
A scoreline that belied the dominance of Tottenham, with goals from Keane, Lennon and Palacios that gave the home team a three goal lead at half-time.

Spurs 5 - 0 Glentoran
A much slicker Spurs side took apart admittedly poor opposition. Contributions from the in-form Palacios, Crouch, Bentley, Pavlyuchenko and new boy Sotiris Ninis.

Spurs 5 - 0 Arezzo
Modric, Crouch, dos Santos and a brace from Jermain Defoe saw Spurs cruise past Italian opposition Arezzo, the only downside being a silly red card for Huddlestone on 90 minutes.

Spurs 5 - 1 Brescia
Another good performance from a team evidently beginning to gel against a better standard Serie A side. Modric, Bassong, Lennon netted for Spurs, along with an own goal and first goal for David Beckham.

Spurs 2 - 3 AC Milan
The first major test for Spurs, a test they failed by the narrowest of margins. Early goals from Huntelaar put the home side two-up, but the fightback was on when Crouch netted in the 56th minute. Five minutes later, the Spurs comeback was on when Modric headed the away team level. However, despite an entertaining end-to-end game, Spurs were left disappointed after captain Ledley King conceded a late penalty, which Ronaldinho had no trouble sticking away. Aside from the late goal, the only disappointment to the Spurs manager will be the injury of Alan Hutton, who will be out for 3 weeks after pulling a hamstring. Added to the already extensive injury list including Gareth Bale, Jonathan Woodgate, Michael Dawson and Ruud van Nistlerooy, this is a real concern for the new boss.

Riley was said to be "proud and upbeat" after the defeat:

"We won't be meeting teams of Milan's quality every week. They are a fantastic footballing side, and the fact that we could have nicked it - at the San Siro too - gives me confidence about the upcoming season. The boys should be proud, and despite the result only being a pre-season friendly, we should take heart from this performance and result."

Spurs 1 - 1 San Jose Earthquakes
A poor game and a far cry from the performance put in against Milan. A goal midway through the first half from Keane was cancelled out ten minutes later, and the second-half was a drab affair. A disappointing end to a promising pre-season.

Van Nistlerooy Back In Action!
Tottenham's Reserve team match against GH Academy earlier today saw the debut of summer signing Ruud van Nistlerooy. A great performance from the Dutchman was capped by two goals as the visiting side eased to a 3-0 victory. After the game, Riley had this to say:

"We're not looking to rush Ruud, a cruciate ligament injury is always a serious issue. He's trained well in the past week, and given time he'll be back to full match fitness and hopefully be banging in the goals for us. The two he scored today are testament to his quality and desire. The reason we took him off with half an hour to go is nothing major - as I said, we're not rushing him back to fitness. Ruud knows he has the quality to score for us in this league, and he'll get plenty of game time as the season goes on."

The start of the season is days away - I'll keep you posted!

As I'm doing this season with another mate (who's taken charge at Arsenal), updates may be sporadic, but he loves the new Footy Man as much as me so I doubt there'll be any problems. This is my first story thing, so if its too wordy or there's any general comments you have, please tell me and I can sort it out. Cheers! <)

Last edited:
Good luck this should be a nice challenge and some good strong signing Ninis and Beckham will create loads for Ruud to slam in what you doing with Pav?? dont sell him i reckon he's well worth a spot in the first team

Good luck mate (coming from a lifelong Arsenal fan). Tottenham have a good FM squad and I hope you show everybody that Spurs aren't the only team in North London ;)

I transfer-listed Pavlyuchenko to begin with, but after I received no offers I was persuaded by my assistant to keep him. He's had a pretty good pre-season, I think his style fits in well with our formation and tactics.

And spot on about Becks and Ruud, I thought I'd try to bring back the United glory days <) If Becks can provide the crosses (which he undoubtedly can), Ruud will always be the poacher in the six yard box. However, Ruud is at least a week away from his debut, due to a calf injury.

Cheers for the feedback guys!

Yeah I think Pav is one of the most underrated players in the league I mean he hasn’t had a chance at Spurs really so will still be unsettled but his record speaks for itself doesn’t it he is good and nobody becomes bad overnight.
I shall follow your story with interest J

i think that pav is better than long legs crouch, crouch in my opinion is ****, id personally go for nedum onouha, hes one for the future and would fit in well at spurs

Cheers that top mate. I'm actually looking for advice on buying/selling players, because I need to balance the books already as the Spurs financial situation sure ain't peachy.

I need to offload one or two relatively big name players, as I have two smaller signings in the works who have great potential. Any ideas? I was thinking Bentley as I have Ninis as cover/rotation, but as he's not yet proven I may have to leave it until January.

Any ideas?

id get rid of hutton dawson jenas bentley and huddlestone

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

id exchange huddlestone for someone, possibly kompany from man city or lucas from liverpool or rodwell from everton

Maybe in Jan ditch Ekotto, Bentley and Crouch depending on form and such like for me theyre the weaker players although i rate Bentley you have plenty of cover

id replace them with onouha, u have bentley cover, id replace jenas with someone like kompany from man city or ab faye from stoke, replace hutton with rafinha

Updates? I am interested to see how you perform with Spurs.

I've updated the pre-season on the first post, but I'm just starting the first game of the season.

First five fixtures:

Wolves (Home)
Birmingham City (Away)
Derby County (Home) (League Cup)
Manchester United (Away)
Everton (Home)

My mate Andy (manager of Arsenal) has just started the early kick-off against Villa, so my game is imminent.

Last edited:
Yeah, can't wait to see Spurs winning the league!
Good luck mateh!

Spurs 1 - 0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

A good start, but the game kind of petered out and Wolves had their fair share of chances in the second half. Still, held on for the three points and its as good a start as I could have wanted.

Birmingham City 1 - 4 Spurs

A fine performance from the lads! Birmingham started brightly, but a second goal for Modric in as many games halted their progress. City kept coming, but we picked them off on the counter attack each time. The sending off of Roger Johnson was evidently a bonus, and we bagged another two in the second-half, either side of Benitez's goal. My faith in Pavlyuchenko paid off, and Modric crashed in a great free-kick to cap a top notch performance from the midfielder.

"A wonderful performance from the boys" remarked Spurs manager Ollie Riley after the game, "To come to St Andrews and score four goals is a great achievement, against a young team full of ambition. Modric was top class today, I expect great things from the lad this season."

I'm not sure how to upload screenshots properly, that was the best I could do. Any tips on that would be great <)

Last edited:
When sending a message click "go advanced" then upload your screen shots via the small paperclip icon at the top...

a good start to the season keep it up :) see Pav is worth a shot isnt he lol

Right, this is quite annoying, especialy so early on into a game.

Basically, my mate's not available to play as much as he thought, so our game will be moving along slower than I thought and updates will certainly be more sporadic. Question is, should I continue to update at random intervals, or should I do the story on my non-network game (me trying to take either Steaua Bucharest or Dinamo Kiev to European - as well as domestic - glory) which would be updated much more regularly, with a much better style and layout and such.

This really is a right nuisance, don't really want to get a reputation as someone who starts loads of different stories. Let me be frank - its either Spurs or Bucharet/Kiev, I won't be doing both. Any feedback is appreciated, as I'm not sure what would be best at this moment in time.

Spurs 4 - 1 Derby County (Carling Cup 2nd Round)

A slow start, but after their equaliser in the second half we pushed on and our class eventually shone through. Braces from King and Jenas eased us to victory. Unfortunately, we've drawn Manchester City in the next round, which aint gonna be easy.

Manchester United 3 - 0 Spurs

Added pain here as my mate Chris is manager of United. We held them until the 70th minute, and we could have been ahead, but United stepped up the tempo and we succumbed to the pressure by conceding three sloppy goals. Bassong finished on a 4.8, and luckily Dawson and Woodgate returned the game after, so needless to say he was dropped, as was Kranjcar.

After the game, Spurs' manager Ollie Riley had this to say:

"At half-time, I was really pleased with the lads. They held their own, restricted United's chances and we could have nicked a goal towards the end of the half. We continued to play well after the restart, but I can't really explain the capitulation in the last twenty minutes. United are obviously a top side, but to play as well as we did for seventy minutes and then concede three sloppy goals is disappointing. We shot ourselves in the foot today. Still, to lose at Old Trafford is no shame, and we'll regroup in the upcoming international break, then look to push on in an important game against Everton."

Spurs 1 - 0 Everton

A bright start in the first half an hour from the visitors was cause for concern, as they pegged us back in our own half. However, we began to assert ourselves towards the end of the half, and we were a different side after the break. We piled on the pressure, and we should have been out of sight but for Tim Howard and our own wastefulness. King got a great header with twenty minutes to go, and we saw out the win comfortably. Dos Santos and Woodgate came in to replace the dropped Bassong and Kranjcar, and they performed admirably - no doubt as to who will be starting against Fulham.

When asked if he was worried about Tottenham's profligacy, Riley responded positively:

"Of course I would have liked to win with more goals. We could and should have scored three or four, but it didn't go our way today in terms of finishing. Ruud is understandably still settling in, and the forwards still are adapting to the lone striker role. At the end of the day, we got the three points and we keep creating chances. When will I be worried? When we stop creating the chances."

Tottenham currently sit 5th after four games.

What tactic you using m8?
And with your 4 strikers (defoe,crouch,pav nd crouch) who you starting