a totti type player, shadow stirker , in the gap between AM and ST

A Mediteranean attacking midfielder. Something like an advanced playmaker - but without as much responsibility for setting up teammates. A weapon/free role who plays behind the striker. Its a very prestigious role in Italy, and they groom young players for it. Often used in Spain as well. The first thing that comes to mind is Roberto Baggio. Messi often plays like a trequartista.

Trequartistas are typically used as part of a three man attack - either with two forwards or alongside a more supporting attacking midfielder with a centre forward up front. Most Italian teams use the "Tridente" - three pronged attack.

Trequartista means "Three quarters," as in he plays 3/4 of the way up the field.

A Mediteranean attacking midfielder. Something like an advanced playmaker - but without as much responsibility for setting up teammates. A weapon/free role who plays behind the striker. Its a very prestigious role in Italy, and they groom young players for it. Often used in Spain as well. The first thing that comes to mind is Roberto Baggio. Messi often plays like a trequartista.

Trequartistas are typically used as part of a three man attack - either with two forwards or alongside a more supporting attacking midfielder with a centre forward up front. Most Italian teams use the "Tridente" - three pronged attack.

Trequartista means "Three quarters," as in he plays 3/4 of the way up the field.

Cheers mate, i'll try that when I start a Roma or Barca game 8-|

Never heard of that before but it sounds pretty good, you could argue that is what Bobby Zamora is due to his lack of goals, don't think Bobby would no what it meant though

they try and link up moves, its for short passing teams rather than having to hoof it over the defence or have to beat them, i see spanish teams use them sometimes

they try and link up moves, its for short passing teams rather than having to hoof it over the defence or have to beat them, i see spanish teams use them sometimes

More than that, though... what you described there is no different than an advanced playmaker. a Trequartista doesnt set up the short passes... everyone is trying to get him the ball and he's the biggest threat. Typically, its the best player on the team, though, so he often has the vision and team work that brings in great set ups to other players. I would say its more like... a midfield target man, maybe? The offense does tend to flow through the player, but he's also the guy the defense is most scared of...

Ronaldinho at Milan, Messi in many Barca matches, Totti at Roma, Diego at Juve. Zola used to play much like a Trequartista as well. Most of the big Italian sides now play a 4-3-1-2, with the 1 as Trequartista. One of the forwards plays as a center forward (centroavante) and the other plays a set up role with his back to the goal. Milan plays a narrow 4-3-1-2 going back to when Berlusconi first took over. The fullbacks provide the offensive width. Inter plays a more wide style, though I havent seen much of them this year. Juve basically changed their entire set up to feature Diego as a Trequartista... so if you're looking for a perfect example of a modern player, there he is. He's been awesome, too.

You have to remember, too, that Serie A usually plays a less vertical game than in England... the Trequartista is given free reign, and is expected to pick up the ball and be a danger from anywhere on the pitch (think Messi), but also to set up beautiful through balls once the defense focuses on him. Sometimes it seems like Italian fans like those passes more than they like goals...

yeah i didnt wanna write that much, very good definition, i use christian benitez as mine for birmingham, works very hard and defences run away from him, him and benjani work wonders its just its all them no midfield help, and our defence is pretty bad too

yeah i didnt wanna write that much, very good definition, i use christian benitez as mine for birmingham, works very hard and defences run away from him, him and benjani work wonders its just its all them no midfield help, and our defence is pretty bad too

Right.

Fyi, Ive got some great results playing Steven Gerrard as Trequartista in the demo. His stats line up perfectly... then again, its hard to find a role Gerrard doesnt excel at.

yeah well brum cant afford gerrard but thanks anyway ha ha, i dont play as big four often though, find it a little too easy, i tried birmingham for half a season, im going over my freinds house for a week and he wants me to do portsmouth with him so thats what we will do

yeah well brum cant afford gerrard but thanks anyway ha ha, i dont play as big four often though, find it a little too easy, i tried birmingham for half a season, im going over my freinds house for a week and he wants me to do portsmouth with him so thats what we will do

Ibrahim Afellay is brilliant. If you can afford him I wouldnt hesitate at all to play him as a Trequartista.

Maybe Aiden McGeady...? I can never get Celtic to sell him, though. Im sure he would play great in that role.

Definitely Van der Vaart if you can convince him to go to Birmingham. Could try Matias Fernandez from Sporting, as well.

im happy with benitez and i have a youngster called jervis who looks like one for the future, but i will try them in january and in future games thanks

Diego Maradona is the best explanation of a Trequartista there is. An attacking midfielder with striker qualities who is first and foremost a player who looks to set up his teammates to score, and scoring himself as a secondary responsibility.

If you use a striker as your trequartista you should try lowering the mentality a little more than the "default" setting, especially if the players passing is high (15+) and also if his off the ball is a bit average for the role (13-15). A trequartista in the AMC spot is very hard to mark for the opposition, and creates a lot of space for a poacher (any player with finishing, composure, off the ball and acceleration at 15+).

If you have a player of Aguero's calibre in your squad you should consider playing with two ballwinning central midfielders (one support and one defend) and a wide midfielder (support) on the same side you keep Aguero. Aguero also like the ball to be played to his feet, and he is able to do amazing things on his own in this game and can virtually be your attacking brain so you can focus a lot of players on more defensive duties. I personally prefer Aguero in the AMC spot to the right (Aguero is right footed, a left footed trequartista should work on the left central spot) and poacher in the ST spot to the left to make the most out of him, mostly for quick crosses, because you don't want a trequartista to take a lot of long shots anyway. Even at the lowest setting a trequartista will get in so many good positions to shoot that he will do it frequently anyway, but only using the very best opportunities for shots.

Last edited:
For the life of me, I can not get this role to work in any tactic I make. Which is dissappointing, sounds like such an exciting role :(

It is an exciting role, but take a look at what kind of teams that use a trequartista first and see how they play.

Argentina '86 played 4-4-2 (1-2-1-4-2 rather) with Maradona as one of the strikers pulled back to the AMC-trequartista role at the inner left side. They used Burruchaga as an Inside forward on the right side, possibly Wide midfielder on support duty and Move Into Channels and the poacher was Valdano (Strong heading, off the ball and finishing abilities). The left midfielder was a Wide Midfielder (auto) and the central midfield was hard working (ballwinners). In 86 however, they did not employ fullbacks, but rather a diamond at the back with a sweeper, two centre backs and a defensive midfield anchor (Batista). I would not recommend this setup in FM against teams that employ skilled wingers. But a flat backfour with side backs on support duty and a stopper/coverer in the middle. One of your central midfielders should be a ballwinner/defence and the other box-to-box or ballwinner/support.

You should always combine a trequartista with a counter-attacking solution, because they never close down but rather drift around looking for gaps to exploit and is always available for quick counters when your team steals the ball. The pressure and backline should be changed according to the strength of your opponent, strong pressure and high backline against weaker teams, but consider your defence's pace versus their strikers, and pull the backline further behind if you are notably slower than them.

I would not recommend using an advanced playmaker and a trequartista together, it may work but you won't get the best out of both, the trequartista tend to suffer and works better as an advanced forward in those cases. But if you employ a deeplying playmaker in the DMC spot they tend to not interfere with each other, but rather take charge over different areas of the field and often works very well.

PS. other examples of teams using a trequartista is Roma (Totti) who plays rather tight at the back, Fiorentina (Mutu/Jovetic) is also rather defensive, although they don't always use trequartista. Juventus a few years ago (Del Piero) was always tight at the back. And the examples go on and on. More players to defend than attack + trequartista can be quite entertaining and rewarding. Catenaccio, at least the "new type", usually employ a trequartista, and rely on him to do his magic while the majority makes sure the team is tight at the back.

Last edited:

I need to disagree with the explanation above, and I will just say it is very easy to be misled cause the current example is current but incorrect, basically becourse some of the roles are very simular and easy to interpret like that.

This is what you should research to understand what a trequartista is.

In Italian football, there are usually two main types of playmakers: the trequartista (playmaker in the central attacking midfield position) and the regista (deep-lying playmaker).

The trequartista, usually wearing the jersey number 10, will sit in a free role between midfield and the forwards, either in the centre of the pitch or on the wings. They will often make incisive passes to the wingers or forwards, seeing them through on goal or to deliver killer crosses, as well as scoring goals themselves. They are also usually highly technical players with good vision, shooting, passing, crossing and dribbling ability, known for scoring goals as well as providing assists and initiating attacking plays. Diego Maradona was an elite trequartista.

The Deep lying forward, more commonly known as a "false-9" also shares some similarities with the trequartista role, although the false-9 player appears to be playing as a centre-forward (shirt number 9) rather than as an attacking midfielder (shirt number 10). The false-9 will then drop deep into the midfield drawing defenders with them, creating space for other team-mates to make attacking runs, allowing the false-9 to dribble with the ball or provide these players with assists. Examples of deep lying forwards are Lionel Messi under Josep Guardiola and Francesco Totti under Luciano Spalletti. The false-10 also shares similar attributes to a false-9. A false-10 however, is usually a player who is apparently playing in deeper role than a false-9, more like a trequartista or a winger, but who will then make dribbling runs forward, leading to goals and assists once other forwards draw defenders away from them, creating space in the middle of the pitch. This position is more common in a 4-6-0 formation.

So conclusion two simular traits, the Trequartista coming from the midfield creating havoc with his unique visions and technical ability a magician that any opponent will fear for his dribbling, tricks, Flair, and incredible penetrating passes and ofcourse his whole presence on the field. The players that reminds me of a Trequartista
the master of them all must be Diego Maradona with his incredible gambetta dribbles and unique technique like no other artist. In the 90's Barcelona had a Michael Laudrup with his unique vision and technique created some spectacular penetrating passes that led to amazing goals sometimes playing on the right wing sometimes in the middle. Zinedine Zidane for Real Madrid & France another special Trequartista that will be remembered. Barcelona got another incredible Trequartists in Ronaldinho playing on the left hand side doing his thing with incredible tricks and special big smile when things were going well for him :). The only Trequartista I can currently think of in 2013 is Cristiano Ronaldo and is in my opinion maybe a new type of Trequartista with more modern type of dribbling and flair, but his unique ability to score lots of goals probably makes him the most dangerous Trequartista ever, but not the best, cause he still lack in charisma and is arrogant, a Trequartista is a gentleman above anything else. The other Trequartistas mentioned had better skills in other areas where C.Ronaldo are missing out. He does score lots I have to give that to him though.

Messi is a deep lying forward with all the traits to play as the Trequartista, but as said Guardiola used him as a deep lying forward not a trequartista. Drawing defenders out of position to create space for his team mates. Where Messi reminds me of a Trequartista though is when he drift to the r wing position and receive the ball and use his speed and technique to challenge towards the centre of the pitch either making an assist or a goal.

On the deeper end of the midfield we have the regista (deep lying playmaker) which is simular again to a Trequartista but just from a defensive position. Andrea Pirlo and Xavi comes to mind.

I created this post to make people try and understand the roles better so you can create some killer tactics we all can have the pleasure of trying.

It was three years ago........But still thanks for the information. I'm sure it would help as it helped me in understanding more about the Trequarista. :)