Troy Davis October 9, 1968 – September 21, 2011

GodCubed

Mod-ern Day Legend
Reaction score
Death row inmate Troy Davis has been executed in the US state of Georgia for the fatal shooting of policeman Mark MacPhail in 1989.
Davis' death was delayed for hours while the US Supreme Court considered an 11th-hour appeal for clemency. The 42-year-old's case was heavily disputed after most of the witnesses recanted or changed their testimony. Outside the jail in Jackson, Georgia, there was a heavy police presence earlier as his supporters demonstrated.

Davis was convicted in 1991 of killing MacPhail, an off-duty police officer, but maintained he was innocent. The US Supreme Court judges took more than four hours to issue their rejection of the final appeal, an unusually long time for such a ruling.

"The application for stay of execution of sentence of death presented to Justice [Clarence] Thomas and by him referred to the Court is denied," it read. Davis continued to protest his innocence in the death chamber.
"I did not have a gun," he said, "For those about to take my life, may God have mercy on your souls. May God bless your souls."
Davis was pronounced dead at 23:08 (03:08 GMT Thursday), 15 minutes after the lethal injection began.

Read more: BBC News - Troy Davis is executed in Georgia for shooting policeman

------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you who have read my views on this forum will know what's coming next. I'm a liberal, but to me that's irrelevant. What's relevant is that I am a human being first and foremost, and as a human this sickens me. It's easy to get caught up in hyperbole or sensationalism, but Troy Davis' death is looking more and more like a tragedy rather than a justified termination of life.

Troy Davis was convicted on the back of nine witness testimonies. Fair enough. Except when you take into account that SEVEN of those nine recanted their statements. Of the remaining two, one was a major suspect in the case, and was never going to recant if it meant he could save his own skin. Thus, the state of Georgia convicted and killed a man on the basis of one reliable witness, and with no forensic evidence available. How is this even possible?

We live in an enlightened age, yet this still takes place? What kind of message are we sending, if we actively condone a GOVERNMENT participating in the taking of a life? To me, killing someone as a punishment for murder (or potentially not, in this case) represents more or less the ultimate hypocrisy. Even worse, they didn't have the guts to do it privately, in a Government-run facility. Oh no. This is, after all, capitalist America: they hired a corporation called (darkly ironically) 'CorrectHealth' in order to perform the murder, making them thousands of dollars in the process.

Whatever happened to Voltaire's maxim of ‎"It's better to risk saving a guilty man than to condemn an innocent one"? Whatever happened to a society being judged on how it treats its most vulnerable members? Whatever happened to a fair trial?

Of course, Davis' death could have been justified - as justified as you can be when you're taking anothers' life - he could, after all, have killed MacPhail. But the basic laws of human rights allow any human the right to a fair trial, and this was not a fair trial. Take the example of the Georgia Resource Centre. Initially aiding Davis by representing him, their budget was cut by over 70%, leading to the departure of many of their lawyers and investigators. Coincidence? Yeah, right.

To me, this reeks of prejudice, power, greed and sadism right through to the core. Another example: Darrell Collins, who retracted his witness statement after admitting the police had threatened to charge him as an accessory to the crime if he didn't help convict Davis. Soon after, three other witnesses also retracted their statements, also claiming brutal police tactics in order to force them into writing and signing witness statements. Not only that, but the courts repeatedly either rejected petitions from Davis or dismissed them out of hand, even when evidence to suggest there may not be all that meets the eye with the story came into light.

To me, it just looks like a particularly tragic victim of America's flawed justice system. This one has touched me personally, though, and I'm not quite sure why. One could argue the point is moot: Troy Davis is dead. Either way, I'd like to know your thoughts on this.
Oh, and a few last things. Active debate is encouraged. To quote Voltaire again, "I may disapprove with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." I detest the death penalty, but if you support it then I can respect your stance. Any flaming of somebody else just because they disagree with you is against the rules. This is a situation which can invoke much emotion, and we must all be careful not to overstep boundaries. Another thing: no America-bashing, please. I have referred to America's flawed justice system because I think that is rather plain to see, but I blame the state of Georgia for this shambles of an execution. America is not just one generalised entity, and this wouldn't have happened in somewhere like Massachusetts (not least because they don't support the death penalty). So that means no "OMFG AMERICUNS ARE BARBARRIUNS" generalising.

-----------------------------------------------

"I was not the one who did it. I did not have a gun. Look deeper to find the truth." - Troy Davis' last words.

Any flaming of somebody else just because they disagree with you is against the rules

Constant flaming will incur infractions

Godcubed, ill give you my views in the afternoon

Nothing justifies taking a life, in my opinion. But what's done is done, I guess.

That being said, these things happen due to a mixture of fear, prejudice, ignorance, corruption, and why not, indolence. Probably a few more could be thrown to the mix but I'm too tired to think right now (And I'm a bit lazy myself...).

I may post something later today (As in 'after I sleep') if I remember to, as it's an interesting topic.

I see the state of Georgia is continuing the practice and tradition of executing black women and men...

an eye for an eye is what I say! yes they are under different circumstances (one being planned)

It does depend on the circumstances of the actual crime however! I have mixed views on this actually, depends on my mood I guess!

I live in South Africa so my views are a bit biased, Rapists need to be put down like the dogs they are though! that is a given! If the accused can accept what he did and really make an effort in trying to make up for what he did then by all means give him a second chance, but he will have to earn it!

GC, as I said, I am a fence sitter on this, yes some of them deserve to die, the world will be a better place without some of them but sometimes they deserve a second chance! but rapists deserve to die!

Final last Words.

I'd like to address the MacPhail family. Let you know, despite the situation you are in, I'm not the one who personally killed your son, your father, your brother. I am innocent. The incident that happened that night is not my fault. I did not have a gun. All I can ask ... is that you look deeper into this case so that you really can finally see the truth. I ask my family and friends to continue to fight this fight. For those about to take my life, God have mercy on your souls. And may God bless your souls. - Troy Davis

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

though this would help. found it in the twitter feed #RIPTROYDAVIS

"It's better to risk saving a guilty man than to condemn an innocent one." -Voltaire

'tis a travesty. It's questionable whether the case would even stand up in court, let alone pass a death sentence on it. Injustice.

Although in principle I support the idea of death penalty in the most extreme of cases (If you forcibly remove all of someone else's human rights, you deserve to lose all of yours as well), we still can't achieve 100% accuracy, and I'd sooner see 1000 guilty people alive than an innocent one executed.

an eye for an eye is what I say! yes they are under different circumstances (one being planned)

It does depend on the circumstances of the actual crime however! I have mixed views on this actually, depends on my mood I guess!

I live in South Africa so my views are a bit biased, Rapists need to be put down like the dogs they are though! that is a given! If the accused can accept what he did and really make an effort in trying to make up for what he did then by all means give him a second chance, but he will have to earn it!

GC, as I said, I am a fence sitter on this, yes some of them deserve to die, the world will be a better place without some of them but sometimes they deserve a second chance! but rapists deserve to die!

I'm not in to religion, I don't believe in the Bible, therefore I don't immediately agree with 'an eye for an eye'. I do though, think if someone is found guilty of murder and they are actually guilty, then nothing less than the death penalty is deserved. In more cases than not, when people do commit murder, it is pre-meditated and often includes more than one victim.

I too, see both sides to the 'argument' as viable, as are a lot of things with pros and cons. I know there are different degrees of murder, but isn't murder - murder? what's different from a man killing a woman to a woman killing a man to mass murder of both, except you may have had a little more time on your hands, or more bullets in your gun?

There are so many different sides to the story, I've just written about 5 different things but deleted them because there are so many different ways I can put it. Let me read what others have to say then expand on that. I don't want to look like the bad man.

Last edited:
When there is even a modicum of doubt the death penalty should be out of the question. This man's execution had been delayed 4 times in 20 years which surely shows some doubts over it? The evidence over the years has fallen away and there are now new ways for them to test the remaining evidence.

In my opinion, this man was put to death because the police were so desperate to avenge one of their own, even if they had the wrong man, and prejudice made them not look past the black man in front of them pleading his innocence.

I also think that MacPhail's mother is a joke too. After it was announced he'd been executed she participated in a phone interview in which she said:
"I'm kind of numb. I can't believe that it's really happened, All the feelings of relief and peace I've been waiting for all these years, they will come later. I certainly do want some peace."
[On Davis' pleas of innocence] "He's been telling himself that for 22 years. You know how it is, he can talk himself into anything."

I think anyone who finds peace in the death of another human being is a sick individual in my opinion. There are only extreme cases I'd see it as a relief or peace and that is for instance in the deaths of say Saddam Hussein and Bin Laden.

Last edited:
Hmmm...tricky one this. Though I am for the death penalty in some circumstances (as long the proof leading to the conviction is 100% accurate), there is something wrong here. So I'm going to abstain for now until I've thought about it rationally. Would rather make a sensible post than do it on a whim and make an **** of myself.

I'm not in to religion, I don't believe in the Bible, therefore I don't immediately agree with 'an eye for an eye'. I do though, think if someone is found guilty of murder and they are actually guilty, then nothing less than the death penalty is deserved. In more cases than not, when people do commit murder, it is pre-meditated and often includes more than one victim.

I too, see both sides to the 'argument' as viable, as are a lot of things with pros and cons. I know there are different degrees of murder, but isn't murder - murder? what's different from a man killing a woman to a woman killing a man to mass murder of both, except you may have had a little more time on your hands, or more bullets in your gun?

There are so many different sides to the story, I've just written about 5 different things but deleted them because there are so many different ways I can put it. Let me read what others have to say then expand on that. I don't want to look like the bad man.

Murder is pre-meditated with intent. Even though people have killed others, they're not necessarily sadistic beings with murderous intent, they didn't go out with the intention of killing someone, it's manslaughter not murder. The most severe punishments should be reserved for the most heinous of crimes, and although manslaughter is terrible, we shouldn't be taking peoples lives for it.

See, I sound like a *** already because I've not thought about what I said >_<

There are so many holes in this case that's unbelieveable that they got a conviction on, he was convicted on unreliable witness statements alone.

I supprt the principle of the death penalty at the very tip of the scale, but the reality is we cant often be 100% certain, and i wouldnt want to condemn any person to death without being fully certain of his guilt

Last edited:
I'm not a supporter of the death penalty myself, but I can see why it might be supported in the most extreme circumstances (this, clearly not being one of them). I would rather the convicted be stripped of all dignity and left with the guilt of what they have done, left to suffer in a cell and live out the rest of their days in solitude. Life imprisonment should be the punishment imo, but unfortunately the prisons in the western world are far too comfortable for it to ever seem like punishment enough.

Am I the only one who would rather see someone who murdered someone close to me suffer for a long time than be killed for it? I'd say getting the death penalty is the easy way out for murdering someone.

Anyway, on this case I think it's laughable he was convicted never mind given the death penalty. Ridiculous to say the least. I read somewhere this morning that people started a petition which had over 1 million signatures on it for the appeal to be passed on somewhere or rather, and it was still rejected. Madness.

RIP Troy Davis, I hope they find the true criminal as I honestly don't believe he did it. I mean, if he's literally about to be injected and die, why still deny it and tell people to carry on looking? Don't think it was him but I don't think we'll ever know. For the police, this is case closed now.

Am I the only one who would rather see someone who murdered someone close to me suffer for a long time than be killed for it? I'd say getting the death penalty is the easy way out for murdering someone.

Anyway, on this case I think it's laughable he was convicted never mind given the death penalty. Ridiculous to say the least. I read somewhere this morning that people started a petition which had over 1 million signatures on it for the appeal to be passed on somewhere or rather, and it was still rejected. Madness.

RIP Troy Davis, I hope they find the true criminal as I honestly don't believe he did it. I mean, if he's literally about to be injected and die, why still deny it and tell people to carry on looking? Don't think it was him but I don't think we'll ever know. For the police, this is case closed now.

A lot of prisons don't make their lives too bad frankly. They should be forced to do hard, manual labour with no comforts in jail whatsoever.

Georgia, black suspect, white cop: Troy never stood a chance

A lot of prisons don't make their lives too bad frankly. They should be forced to do hard, manual labour with no comforts in jail whatsoever.

Bit hard with the human rights laws in place. "Mistreat" them in one very, very small way.....and they have a case to sue.

Bit hard with the human rights laws in place. "Mistreat" them in one very, very small way.....and they have a case to sue.

You forfeit your rights when you take someone else's. And if they do labour, they're at least contributing to footing the taxpayer's bill, the very same taxpayer's who's social liberties they threaten.