dani3w

Reaction score
ZoEYd.png

Roberto Martinez signs two year contract extension

EPLTWEET.png
EPLSHARE.png

Roberto-Martinez-006.jpg

By Paul Chialton

Wigan Athletic have today confirmed Spaniard manager Roberto Martinez has extended his contract at the DW Stadium with a new two year deal. The new contract will see Martinez stay at the helm of Wigan Athletic until the end of the 2012/13 season.

Wigan Athletic fans will be more than happy with the news surrounding the DW Stadium this morning after Dave Whelan has confirmed manager Roberto Martinez has put pen to paper on a new two year contract extension. The thirty seven year old manager will now stay in charge of the club until the end of the 2012/13 season at least.

Born in Balaguer, Catalonia, Martínez began his playing career at his home-town club CF Balaguer in the Spanish Third Division before moving to Real Zaragoza in La Liga where he made his senior debut.

He was offered the chance to move to England by Chairman, Dave Whelan and he signed on a free transfer on 25 July 1995, joining fellow Spaniards Jesús Seba and Isidro Díaz. Martínez spent six seasons at Wigan, making 180 appearances for the club scoring 23 goals.

Roberto had spells with Swansea City and Chester City before becoming Swansea Manager in February 2007.

Roberto Martínez realised his ambition of becoming manager of Wigan Athletic in June 2009.
Martinez could have taken an opportunity to leave Wigan in the summer of 2011 but instead elected to stay and continue the work he has started at Wigan. Now the new deal will see him stay for another two seasons.

Chairman Dave Whelan is said to be delighted with the new deal."Its fantastic that Roberto has signed an extension on his contract. He is a great manager and has done so much for the club to put us where we are today."

Whelan went on to say "He is a natural talent and any club would be lucky to have him. For us that is great.""He has such a bright future at the helm of any club and I'd like it to be here at Wigan for the foreseeable future."

Whelan ended his interview saying "He had the chance to leave in the summer after being tipped for many jobs. It wouldn't surprise me if he is in the firing line to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson when he steps down, but for now we have to focus on the clubs future."

qWuqB.png

Last edited:
Wigan have 9000 likes on Facebook? There are pictures of cats with more than that.. I'm going to like them now as I feel bad.

Also, good luck, I assume you are playing as Martinez?

Good luck , i'm currently playing a journeyman save and joined Wigan after they got relegated. Is it just me or does Dave Whelan have really low expectations? All he wanted was a mid-table finish in the Championship :p

Thanks Aannddyy! I didn't even realise that! It ain't really that many is it. I have also gone and liked their page! Yes I shall be playing with my manager as Roberto Martinez

Thanks Seano! Oh they better not get relegated with me in charge! But yer his expectations are really low! In real life he is more encouraging on the Wigan side.

ZoEYd.png

Whelan Announces Season Expectations

EPLTWEET.png
EPLSHARE.png

dave-whelan-001.jpg

By Nick Taylor

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has today spoken out to the media regarding his expectations for the 2011/2012 season for Wigan Athletic and has spoken about the money manager Roberto Martinez will be allowed to spend to improve the squad this season.

This morning Dave Whelan spoke to the media in a press conference at the DW Stadium announcing his expectations for the squad and announced the warchest that Spanish manager Roberto Martinez would get to spend over pre season to improve the squad for the new campaign.

Dave Whelan has announced he expects his Wigan Athletic side to fight bravely against relegation for the season ahead and survive to retain their Premier League status. Over the last two seasons Wigan have been struggling in the relegation battles and it looks like they could be once again.

Last season Wigan climbed out the relegation zone on the last couple of fixtures to finish sixteenth with forty two points and the season before that Wigan finished sixteenth again with just thirty six points. And it looks like Wigan could be on the same path for the season ahead.

"We are expecting to fight bravely against relegation for the season ahead." Whelan said.

But following signing a new contract extension to keep him at the club, Martinez will be handed a small treasure chest for the season to try and improve the squad and help their battle against relegation. It is expected Martinez will have an initial five million pounds to spend on transfers and sixty thousand pounds extra for wages.

Chairman Dave Whelan went on to say "I have backed Roberto in the transfer windows since he first arrived here at the DW Stadium and once again I will place my trust in him."

"He will have no less than five million pounds for transfers over the summer and he will get a fair percentage of fee if he sells anyone." Whelan ended by saying "he has transfer prospects in mind for the summer to help us out of any possible relegation battle and I will continue to back him"

qWuqB.png

Thanks Sumner!

Cheers Ryan! Should be a long path if I get my own way!

ZoEYd.png

Swansea Confirm Hendry Thomas Interest

EPLTWEET.png
EPLSHARE.png

AyNUb.png

By Jeremy Collins

Newly promoted Premier League side Swansea City have publicly declared their interest for Wigan's twenty six year old, Honduras star Hendry Thomas.

The story covering the press this morning surrounded Wigan Athletic and newly promoted Welsh side Swansea City as The Swans declared their interest in Wigan's Honduras central midfielder Hendry Thomas. The twenty six year old could be first out the door at the DW Stadium this season.

However any chance of a permanent deal could be a few days away as Wigan manager Roberto Martinez doesn't want to let the central midfielder leave for any less than two and a half million. This could be a stumbling block for the new Premier League side who only want to pay around one point eight million.

Although Wigan have said if any formal bid is made for the midfielder they will take it seriously and consider all options including speaking to the twenty six year old.

Hendry Thomas completed his move to England back in July 2009 after Wigan failed to sign the midfielder in 2008. Having joined the Latics he made an instant impact earning man of the match in his debut where he assisted a goal before winning most impressive player against Manchester United.

Since then the twenty six year old has made no less than fifty five appearances and had failed to find the net for Wigan. And with the quality Wigan now have in midfielder it looks like he could be out of favour and destined for a move away from the DW Stadium.

qWuqB.png

ZoEYd.png

Celtic Striker Hooper Set For Latics Talks

EPLTWEET.png
EPLSHARE.png

gary-hooper-celebrates-sc-004.jpg

By Jeremy Collins

Today Wigan Athletic have confirmed they have made a formal bid for English and Celtic striker Gary Hooper. The twenty six year old will enter talks with the club after Wigan had a bid around six and a half million pounds accepted in the early hours of the morning.

Twenty three year old striker Gary Hooper is set to make his way down the country to Wigan at some point today to begin talks with Wigan Athletic. The Latics had a bid accepted of just over six million this morning. But it is believed Premier League rivals Sunderland are also monitoring the English striker.

Gary Hooper has been impressing everyone since his move from Scunthorpe to Celtic last year we he constantly put in quality performances and found the net on no less than twenty league goals in twenty six appearances. The English striker is tipped for a place in the England squad in the near future.

If the deal goes through Wigan will have no fewer than five strikers which could see a few shipped out over the next few weeks. Manager Roberto Martinez is said to be excited about the deal.

"We monitored Gary Hooper when he was playing for Scunthorpe where we had a formal bid turned down. The bid was a lot less than what we are prepared to pay now but that's just how football works". He added "We are very excited about entering talks with the young striker, he can add plenty of flair to our attacks".

"But the talks haven't happened yet and they may not run as smoothly as we wish. We won't go offering him wages that we can't offered." "In the next few hours we will meet Hooper and his agent to talk terms and try and come to an agreement."

qWuqB.png

Thanks Streaky!
ZoEYd.png

dQoW4.png

EPLTWEET.png
EPLSHARE.png
................................................................................
ZZDdm.jpg
By Jeremy Collins

Wigan kicked off their pre season with a win this evening after travelling to Scotland to face Scottish Second Division side Sterling. The game saw just over a thousand fans make the trip up to Scotland where they witnessed a two goal win with both goals coming before the break.

With Wigan expecting a comfortable victory there were a few names in the squad that weren't expecting as they were given the chance to fight for a first team place. Seventeen year old Andrew Mason came on for his first ever appearance for Wigan and was welcomed by the travelling fans.

The Latics always seemed most likely to score from the first whistle and the first real chance came after just three minutes to the travelling side. Jones attacked down the right carrying the ball a long way unchallenged. He got to the byline before cutting back on himself and floating a cross into the middle. Victor Moses battled for position and won the header only to see it flick off the post and wide. A confident start by Wigan.

he travelling fans didn't have to wait long for the opening goal which came after just eighteen minutes. Moses was tripped on the far right side of the pitch warranting a free kick. Jones took the free kick and swung it into the box. The floated ball in was met by the jumping Josh Langley as the eighteen year old powered a header passed the keeper into the far side of the net.
Wigan could of rued missed chances in this game as they struck the woodwork for the second time in the game.

This time Jordi Gomez struck a long range shot for thirty yards which just kept rising. It struck the top of the bar and whistled into the fans, Another close effort.
But Wigan doubled their lead after just half an hour. The second goal of the game coming from their other centre back. Piscu. Once again crafted from a set peice Dave Jones took the corner to claim his second assist. The ball was floated to the back stick where it was met by the rising Piscu and placed beyond the keepers reach.

Despite taking a comfortable two goal lead into the break Wigan failed to create much in the second half and during the second forty five switched their hold side to give other members a run out.

However Sterling carried on battling and were denied a consolation goal late on.A free kick from Bennett saw him bend it around the wall only to see thirty nine year old veteran keeper Mike Pollitt carry out a perfect dive to tip the ball around the post.

Match Official| E. Iturraalde Gonzalez
Stadium| Forthbank Stadium, Sterling
Attendance| 3,205
Man of the match|Piscu

Sterling Lineup:
1.McGuire 2.McDonald 3.Kinniburgh 4.McDonald 5.Swanson 6.Wilson 7.Bennett 8.Liddell 9.Mackay 10.Walker 11.Ronald

Yellow Cards:
Kinniburgh, Dunn

Red Cards:
None

Goals:
None

Wigan Athletic Lineup:
01. Pollitt 2.Boyce 3.Piscu 4.Langley 5.Kiernan 6.Moses 7.McArthur 8.Gomez 9.Crusat 10.McManaman 11.Jones

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Goals: Langley (18) Piscu (33)

qWuqB.png

Last edited:
Thanks Sumner!

Cheers Ryan! Should be a long path if I get my own way!

ZoEYd.png

Hendry and Robinson Seal DW Stadium Exits

EPLTWEET.png
EPLSHARE.png

1IjWR.png

By Jay Shaw

Wigan Athletic have today announced Hendry Thomas's exit from the club as he joins newly promoted Welsh Premier League side Swansea City. The Honduras star was linked with the move last week. Young Jordan Robinson has sealed a loan move away from the DW Stadium as well.

Honduras midfielder, twenty six year old Hendry Thomas has completed a move away from the DW Stadium this afternoon as he joins Premier League rivals Swansea City. The deal is believed to be around one point eight million pounds.

The deal was close to collapsing between the two sides as they struggled to meet conditions for a reasonable transfer fee. In the end the deal is thought to be one point eight million after Wigan wanted almost two and a half million pounds. It was thought they settled for the cheaper transfer fee in able to bring in Gary Hooper who has been in talks with the club.

With Hendry Thomas leaving the club there has also been a second departure. Young rising star Jordan Robinson has left the club for a six month loan deal to Cheltenham where he seeks first team football. The twenty year old did make an appearance for Wigan in their opening friendly.

It is expected that Wigan will now try and complete the deal of Gary Hooper with Martinez gathering some more funds from the Thomas deal. Hooper was in talks with Wigan a few days ago and the deal should go through in the next couple of days,

cDlwb.png

qWuqB.png

I love your layout mate.

I personally would have sold Ben Watson rather than Hendry Thomas, but whatever floats your boat! :)

Fantastic layout man , one of the best layed out stories about!

Great start aswell and i have to agree with Andy , i sold Ben Watson almost immediately.

Must say, amazing choice in signing a goalscorer like Hooper, he is a hot talent and just what Wigan need, they have the build-up but lack the end product...

Thanks Smith! Nice to have you on board!

Cheers Andy! There is more to come on the transfer front don't worry about that!

Ah thanks Sean! Thats a very nice comment!

Adz I haven't signed him yet! But I feel he is the real deal for us!

ZoEYd.png

wSVwf.png

EPLTWEET.png
EPLSHARE.png
.... ............................................................................
TGOCG.jpg
By Edward Bullen-Whatling

Wigan Athletic slumped to their first defeat of the season as they welcomed German giants Schalke to the DW Stadium this fine Wednesday Evening. Schalke eventually ran out three two winners after a goalless first half.

Both sides went into the game with strong sides with Al Habsi starting inbetween the sticks for Wigan and Di Santo leading the front line for the Latics while Schalke fielded a strong side to carry out an expected win come full time.

Wigan were on the back foot in the first half and created very little but deal with everything well. Despite Schalke creating no less then seven chances in the first half, the defence stayed strong and Al Habsi in goal pulled off some great saves to keep the Latics level with Schalke at the break.

Second half saw the Latics finally come undone by the free flowing play of Schalke. Baumjohann was allowed to bring the ball forward with ease before floating in a pinpoint cross which found Draxler who headed into the ground and into the far corner.

Schalke doubled their lead with twenty five minutes to go when the German side attacked down the left and pulled the ball back to the edge of the area where Obasi was waiting. A touch inside and low hit strike into the far corner was just out the reach of Al Habsi.

But four minutes later the Latics staked a claim on the game as they were back within a shout. McCarthy was left to run free down the middle evading a challenge before playing a chipped through ball to McManaman who, on the edge of the box, chipped it over the advancing keeper and into the back of the net. Wigan were back in with a shout.

Wigan's comeback was completed with seventeen minutes to spare when the ball fell to Franco Di Santo's feet following a Wigan corner. A quick touch to get it out his feet and a shot smashed away low on the ground went through the legs of the keeper and across the line. Wigan were level.

But with seven minutes to go Schalke won the game with a late strike. A counter attack from Schalke after we gave the ball away and it resulted in Baumjohann rounding Al Habsi and slotting the ball into the empty net.

Match Official| C. Boyeson
Stadium| DW Stadium, Wigan
Attendance| 17,179
Man of the match|
Baumjohann

Wigan Athletic Lineup:
01.Al Habsi 2.Stan 3.Gohouri 4.Alcaraz 5.Figueroa 6.McCarthy 7.McArthur 8.Watson 9.Jones 10.Bausejour 11.Di Santo

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Goals: McManaman (69) Di Santo (73)

Schalke Lineup: 1.Hildebrand 2.Uchida 3.Papadopoulos 4.Metzelder 5.Metip 6.Jurado 7.Hoger 8.Obasi 9.Holtby 10.Draxler 11.Marica

Yellow Cards:
Uchida, Metzelder, Obasi, Draxler

Red Cards:
None

Goals:
Draxler (49) Obasi (65) Baumajohann

qWuqB.png

Brilliant layout it seems like it is going to be a good story i will defiantly be following.

Thanks alot Radke! Plenty more to come over the next few days

ZoEYd.png

Gary Hooper Completes Latics Switch

EPLTWEET.png
EPLSHARE.png
...... ..............................................................
Gary-Hooper-reacts-after--007.jpg

By Jay Shaw

Roberto Martinez has today opened his chequebook for the first time this season as Gary Hooper completed his transfer to Wigan Athletic from Scottish Premier League giants Celtic. The deal thought to be around six and a half million pounds.

Twenty three year old English striker Gary Hooper has today completed a six and a half million pound switch from Scottish Premier League giants to relegation candidates Wigan Athletic this afternoon. The transfer has broke the Wigan Athletic record for the most spent on a single player.

Martinez is expected to unveil Hooper tomorrow morning before training when Hooper will meet up with his new team mates and undergo fitness test. Preparing everything goes alright he should be part of the squad to face Scottish side Hamilton in a friendly tomorrow evening.

Gary Hooper had made fifty five appearances for Celtic over the last year and a bit as he continued to catch the eye of many pundits as he netted no less than thirty three times for the Scottish giants. Hooper is expected to get called up for the England national team in the near future with plenty of opportunity to impress now.

The deal has gone through just a couple days after the departure of Hendry Thomas to free up some more funds to be able to afford Hooper. But now Wigan manager Roberto Martinez will hope to have the final product at the top end of the pitch to find the goals.

fX9nB.png
qWuqB.png