DonMarmalade

Reaction score
I'm West Ham in my second season and absolutely walked the Championship with Quintero as a poacher being supported by either an advanced forward in Cole or a supporting target man in Carew. I recently splashed out on Seydou Doumbia and was wondering if implementing two poachers at the same time would be effective.

Thanks.

You can use two poachers, but you would need to use two inside forwards on the AMR and AML position, set to support, so the two forwards don't get too isolated.

I got this to work once with an all English side to win the Premiership on FM11. Not tried the same tactic on FM12 yet, but a few things to bear in mind to make it work:

By nature, a poacher hardly contributes to possession, having two on the field will mean virtually any chance of holding onto possession will be out the window, it's virtually like you're playing with 8 outfiled players from the start. My conclusion was as a result to go with this idea, can't hold possession, no point in trying, play a counter attacking game.

Then think about how your poachers are going to get the service if they don't get too much possession, you still want them to get a lot of chances (let's face it, a good poacher will usually score if he gets 2 clear cut chances a game). And we know that the best chance of a poacher getting a CCC is a through ball. For this to work, no matter how many midfielders you use, they will all need some quality in passing, creativity + ideally the tries through balls often PPM.

Seeing as how you'll be using two poachers, it would help confuse defenders for marking if you get them exchanging positions with each other on player instructions.

Last thing you want to consider if you take my approach, most of the time the best poachers have pace, that seems to be the case for quintero and doumbia, a rapid pace of play should help catch opposition defenders off guard and play to your poacher's strengths.

Can't remember all my team but my line up was a flat 442, Delfouneso and Campbell up front (they both finished on over 20 league goals each), downing on the left wing (through balls often highlighted), Delph as my advanced playmaker, Rodwell as a ball winner, right wing some pacey regen with good passing.

All the midfield got good assists except for Rodwell, then again that wasn't his job :)

I have two poachers on my club Blackpool (Pedersen from Vitesse and Gerndt from FC Utrecht) supported by two IFs (Larsen from Lyngby and Grandin/M. Phillips) and a Trequartista (Taylor-Fletcher). It works perfectly as Gerndt has scored ten goals in the past five matches and Pedersen has also scored some goals.

I have two poachers for Portsmouth with no wide or Attacking Midfield options. Most goals are created from a playmaker in the middle of the park who is brilliant and trained at through balls and his passing is put to 'long' and the line is quite high so he hits a long flat pass into space which my strikers pick up on. As posts above say, poachers need pace to beat their defenders. Also, as someone has said above, have them swap positions so that if confuses defenders. Good luck.