Ubuntu v Windows

*Paul*

Reaction score
Hey,

I've recently come across Ubuntu (it is a form of Linux OS) and I was wondering what your thoughts were on it?

It's absolutely free and from what I've read, it's great. But just wondering if most programs (especially good ones) will run on it. I've currently got Windows 7 installed, by the way, so I'm not in urgent need for change.

So, any thoughts on Ubuntu?

Thanks,
*Paul*

What do you define as 'good programs'?

Also for gaming Linux sucks.

Check the list of WINE compatible programs before jumping on the Linux boat.

What do you define as 'good programs'?

Also for gaming Linux sucks.
I don't really mean games, just like Photoshop, Word, etc. Some powerful and popular programs.

Check the list of WINE compatible programs before jumping on the Linux boat.
Cheers. What is WINE, though?

Why not have both?.
I don't see the point of that, to be honest. I know you can, but it would take up extra room, take extra time to start up (you have to choose which OS). I only thought to run it so to have less viruses, have a fresh, new, exciting theme/OS and also try something new. But if it doesn't run certain programs I want, there's no point to be honest.

Cheers for the response from everyone, though!

i better have windows than Linux on my pc .

and with windows 8 coming out soon, i kinda excited, especially with the metro feature :p

I don't see the point of that, to be honest. I know you can, but it would take up extra room, take extra time to start up (you have to choose which OS). I only thought to run it so to have less viruses, have a fresh, new, exciting theme/OS and also try something new. But if it doesn't run certain programs I want, there's no point to be honest.

Cheers for the response from everyone, though![/QUOTE]

To try it you could install it and keep windows 7 then which ever you like most delete the other.

Ubuntu is great - safer and quicker in my opinion. Coming from somebody who can use it well, I would recommend it - BUT if you're after running FM on it (I had fm11 running on it but wasn't the best, why i kept with windows 7) or many other native windows programs there isnt a point in changing. IF you're after using it for general computer use (downloading, surfing, music, emails. that sort of stuff) then its a great alternative. It offers great programs as substitutes to its windows counterparts.

Cheers for the response from everyone, though!
I've already done that, not sure about it to be honest. I prefer Windows 7, at least for the moment. Cheers for the suggestion, though! :)

To try it you could install it and keep windows 7 then which ever you like most delete the other.[/QUOTE]

u can, instal both win7 and Ubuntu too with partition

Just download a virtual machine and install ubuntu on that for now, just to see how it goes and what you can and cannot use on it.

You could just download the live CD image and Burn it to disk, then test it out off the live CD it wont even install a thing to your PC and you can demo it.
I stopped using Windows early this year and started using Ubuntu.

At first I found the most basic of tasks hard eg installing and removing software and just getting used to how the file system works, its competly different to windows.
The speed is the big plus, it far quicker to boot up than any windows and quicker doing its native tasks (basically its only slower if trying to run windows programs through WINE)

I believe Linux is the far better operating system if you do not intend on Gaming, or linking your PC to your Xbox to use the Windows media centre.
For Browsing Web, Emails, Photo's, Video Editing, watching music and videos....you know normal PC stuff it works great and super fast.

I do however recommend Linux Mint over Ubuntu, its another Linux Distribution that is layed out a little better, and the defualt apps that come with it are somewhat better.