UEFA Champions League - Werder Bremen vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Frutty

Reaction score
nd1vup.png
Werder Bremen (GER) - Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
afk5k5.png

Champions League
Venue: Weserstadion
Date: Tuesday 14 September
Kick-off: 1945 GMT
Coverage: Live text commentary on BBC Sport website, full commentary on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra and online and live on Sky Sports 4.

Tottenham have received a boost ahead of their Champions League group stage debut with the news Luka Modric may be fit enough to face Werder Bremen.
Modric limped off in the 1-1 draw at West Brom on Saturday, but his leg injury is not as bad as first feared.
Spurs are without Jermain Defoe and Michael Dawson (both ligament damage).
Werder also have selection problems with Per Mertesacker definitely missing and Naldo and Claudio Pizarro both struggling with knee injuries.
Mertesacker fractured an eye-socket playing for Germany in a Euro 2012 qualifier last week, so Werder may have to call upon former Arsenal defender Mikael Silvestre.
A patched-up Werder side held Bayern Munich to a goalless draw at home on Saturday and Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is fully aware of the task facing his team against Thomas Schaaf's side.
"I am not going to go away from home and play 4-4-2 as we will get opened up," said Redknapp, who manages in the Champions League group stage for the first time.
"We go to Germany and [expect] they will play with a diamond, so they will have four players in the middle of the park.
"If we have two in there they will run around chasing shadows as Werder pop it around. So we will have to look at that. At home, I am 90% certain I will play with two strikers. But away from home, it will be different."
New signing Rafael van der Vaart will make his European debut for Spurs and he is confident his experience of playing in the competition will help his team-mates.
"I have a lot of experience in the Champions League," said the Dutch international midfielder. "I have played with Ajax in the competition, Hamburg and Madrid. I hope that I can help the team and I'm sure I can.
"The Champions League is the biggest stage for the club and the players. It's a really good experience."
"The atmosphere of games against English teams is always very good, so we are looking forward to playing Spurs," said Hunt.
"I think we are equally matched. Both ourselves and Tottenham are very good offensively and have some very good players in the forward positions, so you can expect an open, exciting game and a few goals."

Werder 1-2 Spurs
Frings Defoe
Rafeal VDV

Good game in the offering, but i fully anticipate Tottenham to scrape through.

The game against Young Boys still makes me wonder / worry if Spurs can cut it away from home. I know the stadium in Bern was an artificial one but still, I really do hope they do well though!

i think it will be 2-0 to bremen, goals from Marko Marin.

COYS

1-0 to the boys from White Hart Lane

Peter Crouch ^^)

van der Vaart with the assist :)

Erm... the game with YB told me alot of stuff about spurs in away games so...

2-0 Bremen

STILL i hope Spurs win.

If Spurs line up in a 4-4-2, 2-0 Bremen. If they start 4-2-3-1, 2-1 Bremen.

If Spurs line up in a 4-4-2, 2-0 Bremen. If they start 4-2-3-1, 2-1 Bremen.

Such high hopes for us. (H)

I predict 2 - 1 Bremen too, but I'd take a draw before the game.

i heard a few German pundicts over the last few days say that they think Bremen are the most complete side in Germany at the moment and with the departure of Ozil has just pushed Marko Marin forward and he has the technique to open up defences.

i heard a few German pundicts over the last few days say that they think Bremen are the most complete side in Germany at the moment and with the departure of Ozil has just pushed Marko Marin forward and he has the technique to open up defences.

I once heard an English pundit say "to win a match, you need to make sure you score more goals than your opposition."