Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MFC1992

Banned
Reaction score
Gerard Houllier is set to be confirmed as the new manager of Aston Villa this week.

After spells managing Liverpool and Lyon, Houllier is currently the technical director for the French national team, but he has scheduled a meeting with French Football Federation president Fernando Duchaussoy to follow Tuesday's Euro 2012 qualifier against Bosnia and Herzegovina.

"I will meet Wednesday to take stock of the situation with him," Duchaussoy told reporters. "I'll ask him. I would like to continue working with him."

Houllier, 63, is set to confirm that he is leaving the role to take charge at Villa Park, despite opposition from the club's supporters.

Kevin MacDonald, who has taken charge of Villa on a caretaker basis since the shock resignation of Martin O'Neill, has impressed owner Randy Lerner and could stay on as Houllier's assistant, a first-team coach or return to being in charge of the first-team.

MacDonald, as well as Alan Curbishley, had been interviewed for the manager's post, but Houllier emerged as the leading candidate.

Meanwhile, Villa midfielder Steve Sidwell is closing in on a return to fitness after missing the first five games of the season. Sidwell played 90 minutes for the reserves against Blackpool on Monday.

Great manager even though he managed the scum.

OH FOR ***** SAKE. Last week he was 66/1 to be Villa manager, so I went on to skybet to put a tenner on but couldn't find my bank card. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Why dont the fans want him to become manager?

Gerard Houllier is a superb manager, in my eyes. During the first half of his reign at Anfield, Liverpool were very good. They won three cups in a season, and played good football. However, during the second half of his tenure, health problems meant that he couldn't manage as effectively, and didn't do as well.

I think he's a good appointment. We'll see, however.

OH FOR ***** SAKE. Last week he was 66/1 to be Villa manager, so I went on to skybet to put a tenner on but couldn't find my bank card. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oooooo, feel for you mate. :D

could be a bad appiontment, first reason is that he has a dodgy ticker so is management the right idea??? and second reason if he and Mc Donald share a joint role it is known that Hoillier is a control freak and will in the end cause rucks.