What does attendance depend on?

TommyKae

Reaction score
I'm playing with Dinamo and am in my third season with them. In those three seasons, I've achieved huge things with the club - I've reached the Champions League group stages three seasons straight and the knockout round twice, signed players with massive rep and club favorites (Dzeko, Boruc, Vukojevic), and upped the stature through the roof. I've even won the Europa League. But no matter who I host - from massive European teams like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd, Lyon and OM to the club's arch-rivals Hajduk Split and Red Star - I can never manage to sell-out the stadium. Not once in three seasons. And it's not a really big stadium, either (capacity ca. 33,000).
What I want to know is why is this? What has to happen for Dinamo to sell out the stadium? What does attendance in the game depend on? Reputation? Competition reputation? I'm really quite frustrated by this - it makes the game quite less enjoyable.

I really have the same doubt and was about to post it. I guess I understand the bare facts, but if someone could same minor details that make a difference, i'd be really grateful.

I don't know if this is your case, but in previous saves, if I play fluid attackikg tactics and lots of goals are scored, I can regularly sell out the ground. If I choose rigid hoofball tactis, less people turn up to watch.

I don't know if this is your case, but in previous saves, if I play fluid attackikg tactics and lots of goals are scored, I can regularly sell out the ground. If I choose rigid hoofball tactis, less people turn up to watch.

i play attacking football with a balanced philosophy and regularly trample my rivals (last home game ended 6-0). lots of goals are scored in my games.

Population of area, Reputation, Attraction, Ticket Price.

All these things add up, I'd say the reason you don't recieve huge attendances at Dinamo is that the population there isn't huge, and the attraction for travelers isn't great. Not much you can do about that in the game, unless you FMRTE it.

understood. i just think that with a population of ca. 800k and a constantly growing reputation (you don't sign Dzeko for 37,500/w without massive rep) there should be more fans flocking to the stadium, or at least some substantial growth in attendance numbers. oh, well... thanks for making the game enjoyable, SI.

understood. i just think that with a population of ca. 800k and a constantly growing reputation (you don't sign Dzeko for 37,500/w without massive rep) there should be more fans flocking to the stadium, or at least some substantial growth in attendance numbers. oh, well... thanks for making the game enjoyable, SI.
I think with Dynamic League Rep that will happen, after a while. Keep going though, win some Continental trophies etc..

From my experience on a longer save on FM10 the attendances went up after five seasons of success. I started with Stade de Reims in the French third division and won the Ligue 1 in five seasons and after that was constantly near the top. The first season I averaged 8000-9000 spectators in a 21 000 seat stadium. I got to 19000-20000 in the fifth season, after that I had an expansion for three seasons in a row, a new stadium in the 9th or 10th season and soon expanded that one too.

Try checking the editor. I've played with Dinamo regularly on the past releases and one strange thing I noticed is that while the capacity of the stadium is 38 000, there is some kind of block at 30 000 in the editor (max attendance or something). No idea why this is, but try changing that, it worked with me. However, not sure if this is still the case as I haven't checked it yet on 2011.

One other thing could be that the condition of the stadium is poor, but I'm just guessing here.

Last edited:
In my HJK save my 10000 seater was usually full for CL group stage matches in the first few seasons, but only 2000 or 3000 turned up at league matches (except rival). Now in 2033 I have a 65000 seater which is almost full all the time. Helsinki's population is 500k.

Nah, it has nothing to do with population. Zagreb is the size of Manchester.

Try checking the editor. I've played with Dinamo regularly on the past releases and one strange thing I noticed is that while the capacity of the stadium is 38 000, there is some kind of block at 30 000 in the editor (max attendance or something). No idea why this is, but try changing that, it worked with me. However, not sure if this is still the case as I haven't checked it yet on 2011.

One other thing could be that the condition of the stadium is poor, but I'm just guessing here.

I have a feeling that you and I both know that the stadium is a pile of **** (judging by the last part of your post, I'm guessing you're from ZG, too) - I just don't think that that the game takes that into account.
I suppose all I can do is keep on keeping on - but if I don't manage at least one sell-out crowd by 2016, I'm leaving a burning bag of poo on SI's doorstep.

Well actually, the game does take it into account, it says something like Stadium Condition: Poor. So that might be the reason why it's set to maximum 30 000 attendence in the editor. Like I said, try going into the editor and change it to 38 000, the full capacity of the Maksimir Beauty. What is the highest attendence you get at the moment?

P.S. Yes, I'm from Zagreb, and I've been on our precious pile of **** many times, hehe

Improvement in attendance is progressive, you can't expect to sell the stadium out from one season to the other. In 11.2 I only managed to sell it out on fan days, but my avg attendance increased by, say, 1k people per year during 3 seasons, as performances improved, while playing with a team from a very small city such as Arles. I'd dare say you'll be selling it out regularly in a few years time.

has any part of the stadium been closed down? maybe in real life there's a cut off point for the club and 33,000 isn't possible.

Last edited:
Well actually, the game does take it into account, it says something like Stadium Condition: Poor. So that might be the reason why it's set to maximum 30 000 attendence in the editor. Like I said, try going into the editor and change it to 38 000, the full capacity of the Maksimir Beauty. What is the highest attendence you get at the moment?

P.S. Yes, I'm from Zagreb, and I've been on our precious pile of **** many times, hehe

I don't think it's set like that. Since my attendances have grown in the last season, my peak this season was around 33,000. The average has grown to around 17,000 (up 1,000 from the previous season).
The league reputation has grown (the Croatian first division is now ranked as the 16th competition in the world, the HNL champion has a direct spot in the Champion's league, the second place team is in the best playoff round...) and this certainly means more viewers.

And it may be a pile of ****, but it's OUR pile of ****.

Improvement in attendance is progressive, you can't expect to sell the stadium out from one season to the other. In 11.2 I only managed to sell it out on fan days, but my avg attendance increased by, say, 1k people per year during 3 seasons, as performances improved, while playing with a team from a very small city such as Arles. I'd dare say you'll be selling it out regularly in a few years time.

The average has grown at a rate of around 1,000 per season. I'm guessing that by the 2016/17 season, I should have at least one sell-out crowd.

The average has grown at a rate of around 1,000 per season. I'm guessing that by the 2016/17 season, I should have at least one sell-out crowd.

You'll start getting them every once in a while, your average attendance is that, an average. You'll get more peeps for 'interesting' matches, and you may get your stadium sold out sooner than you expect - or maybe not :p.