Status
Not open for further replies.

*Paul*

Reaction score
I've seen my Rangers side (top of the league) get thrashed 8-1 at the Nou Camp, seen my Benfica side (top of the league again, by a lot) get pwned 5-2 against Arsenal at the Emirates but I don't know what to do in big matches/tricky away matches such as facing Man Utd, Porto, Newcastle (tricky away game).

Any tips on facing big teams/tricky teams to face away? Any tips at all (especially facing top Italian teams, playing as Palermo at the moment)?

Thanks,
*Paul*

Last edited:
Set up a solid defence. For example, play with 2 defending midfielders to support your defence.

When playing a defensive 4-4-2, make sure you have pacey wingers so you can get away quick on the counter. ;)

So counter-attack? What about playing Barca, if you keep the ball, they can't get it, right? Isn't that how it works?

Basically, yes. But do you believe you can have 75% possesion versus Barcelona? ;)

The main idea for Barca would be take their best passers out of the game and stop them passing to players such as Villa and Messi.

Players like Xavi and Iniesta want marking closely where as Messi needs to be closed down, not marked. Remember you want to limit his passes and space, not stand infront of him and choke him. (Had a Fergie quote but i couldnt find it :( )

Basically, yes. But do you believe you can have 75% possesion versus Barcelona? ;)
Time wasting VERY high, VERY slow tempo, etc. :p Not attacking possession but if they can't score then, well it works ;)

Any more tips on this, really need some more help!

Would it be better to attack against big teams or defend? Because if you play deep, that will invite pressure and you may crumble. And would it be best to keep the ball against Barcelona defensively/pointlessly or attack on the counter. Because even Barca can't do anything without the ball.

My tip.. put your head between your legs and kiss your *** goodbye :D

Personally I prefer keeping the ball and attacking as the best form of defence but there are some good counter-attacking tactics out there.. Pow Right in the Kisser and JPs Anti-Football

I prefer to use my own tactics though, so not going to download any.

I prefer to use my own tactics though, so not going to download any.

I find if you have good pacey defenders then push up, close down and hard tackling work alongside Play Offside and Counter Attack work for me. However there are games when its goes wrong and I get absolutely slaughtered. The only tactical solution I have for that is saving the game and not playing it for a week or two in anger. Sorry

i usually like giving instructions to pump or work the ball into the box. help me romp bacra 6-2 at the Camp!
set counter attacking on, and choose ur best playmaker(mainly the flair attribute), and a good target man. if ur playign with 1 striker, then he's ur TG man, if 2, then chose the striker with is better.

choose short passes, with slow tempo; and more direct passes with quick tempo.

Try going a solid flat back four, all defending. Play two defensive midfileders just in front, prefererably one set to dfend, and the other to support. One can be deep lying playmaker, but one must be ball winning midfielder. Then try playing with 3 attacking mids, although, they should ALL be set to support, and have high defensive duities. Try to play short slow passing, and kill the game. However, enable the counter attack, so if a chance arises, e.g. when dfending a corner, you can take it. Play with a 'counter' menatlity, and issue an instruction to retain possession. Mark players as above.

Thanks for the advice, guys! How would I deal with, say Messi or Eto'o though?

Eto can be stopped. He needs to be marked tightly, and shown onto weaker foot. If you have good tacklers, then set his tackling to hard. Play defensive midfielders, 2 , to stop space and holes appearing. Messi needs to be closed down. Stick a large hardman in midfield and tackle messi hard. If you mark him tightly, then it will bring otheres into the game, like pedro and villa, as he can't recieve the ball. By closong down 'always' you can tackle or prevent him from passing when he recieves the ball.

Wow, thanks for all the advice skybluebolland, it really helps. Interesting discussion, here.
What about midfield maestros like Xavi or Iniesta, how do you stop them doing their passing game?

Thanks for the advice, guys! How would I deal with, say Messi or Eto'o though?

messi, everything

eto, i hvent play with him. i played with inter, but ma be he left the club.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Wow, thanks for all the advice skybluebolland, it really helps. Interesting discussion, here.
What about midfield maestros like Xavi or Iniesta, how do you stop them doing their passing game?

good Cm that has defensive atributtes. like rodwell, song, essien.

I use tight marking and closing down always from opposition instructions for them, you could also consider specific man marking.

Pack the midfield, preferably 4-5-1. Don't play too wide as you want to create a lack of space for Xavi and Iniesta to use. Try playing 451 counter, using my tactics above. stick hardmen in midfield, like Gerrard, cattermole etc. Close them down, mark tightly and tackle hard. Slow down the pace, almost to lowest. You need to kill the game, and knock any oomph out of it. try to catch a goal on the counter. When you are playing at home, you can loosen off a bit. Don't forget to edit your set peices. Set peices are crucial to wins. I scored 14 goals JUST from corners last season. My CB was my 3rd top scorer. Make sure you sort out your defending set peices as well, as your hard work can easily become undone just like that.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Dont play too low a line eiher. You are inviting pressure onto your defense, and it creates a gap between your midfield & defense...

Who say you can't get more possession when playing against Barca? Played against Barca in the champions league with Inter, I had Thiago Motta and Stankovic to play right infront of Xavi and Iniesta, they were quiet throughout the match. For Messi, I've got Criscito to close him down and Lucio to help out, just like Xavi and Iniesta, he was quiet and rarely have a chance to dribble. Won 2-0 at home and 1-0 away, an average of 57% of possession.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.