SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
oqw4fb.png

Barclays Premier League
Aug 28th Sunday
Kick off: 1600 GMT
Venue: Old Trafford

TEAM NEWS

Manchester United are hopeful that Rio Ferdinand will be fit to play following a hamstring injury.
Darren Fletcher stepped up his comeback from a virus and played 90 minutes for the reserves, but Nemanja Vidic and Rafael da Silva are definitely out.

Arsenal's Jack Wilshere is out for at least another three weeks with his ankle injury and Thomas Vermaelen will have a fitness test tomorrow.

Alex Song, Gervinho and Emmanuel Frimpong are all suspended

MATCH PREVIEW

It's remarkable to think that Arsenal's only win in their last nine league games came when these two met at the Emirates Stadium on May Day.

An appropriate date too, with distress calls being pretty much all we've heard from Gunners supporters since.
Wednesday's gutsy win in Udine must have lifted the mood in the Arsenal camp considerably however, if not quite raising the expectation levels for this fixture to what they always were in the past.

One of the Premier League's most tempestuous matches historically just hasn't got the pulse racing quite so quickly this time. Until Sunday morning of course!

With new signings still settling in, we don't yet know whether United were at their best in the second half against Spurs on Monday - but they can't have been far off. We just took off" was how Sir Alex Ferguson put it and that's a lovely description.

It was all over the field too, with the defending of Phil Jones and Chris Smalling and the mature midfield display of Tom Cleverley just as impressive as Danny Welbeck, Wayne Rooney and Ashley Young going forward. Six of the best for England at Euro 2012?

United are unbeaten in the last seven times they've hosted Arsenal, winning six. They've won all their last 16 home Premier League games against anyone and haven't lost in 22. Normally I'd side with those who'd say that all means nothing on the day, but this time I have to go with the numbers and fancy a home win

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• This is the 214th meeting between the sides. Manchester United have won 88 times, Arsenal 79 and there have been 46 draws.
  • Manchester United had won their last seven matches against Arsenal before they suffered a 1-0 defeat at the Emirates in May.
  • This will be the 46th time Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger have faced each other. Ferguson has won 20 times to Wenger's 16, with 9 draws.
Manchester United

• Danny Welbeck's last five Premier League goals have been headers.
  • Man Utd have scored 20 headed goals in the league since the start of the 2010-11 season, five more than any other club.
  • They won 18 of their 19 league games at Old Trafford last term, equalling the Premier League record for most points won at home.
  • Manchester United's substitutes scored 11 league goals in 2010-11, more than any other team.
  • They have won their last seven Premier League matches at Old Trafford against opposition from London and 10 of their last 11.
  • Their starting line-up against Tottenham had an average age of 23 years and 191 days, the second youngest the Red Devils have fielded in the Premier League. Their youngest averaged 14 days per man younger - in a 1-0 win at Hull City on May 24, 2009.
Arsenal

• If the Premier League had started on 26 February (Carling Cup final weekend), Arsenal would be 15th after 13 games.
  • The last time that Arsenal failed to score in their first two league games of the season was 42 years ago, back in 1969/70.
  • Arsenal's Premier League win percentage with Samir Nasri in the starting line-up of 49% is well below their 62% win rate in his absence
Opta stats: Arsenal have not failed to score in their opening three league games since the 1953-54 season.

Possible starting XIs

Manchester United: De Gea, Smalling, Ferdinand, Jones, Evra, Nani, Cleverley, Anderson, Young, Rooney, Welbeck.
Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Ramsey, Djourou, Rosicky, Walcott, Arshavin, Van Persie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My take: Hopefully we start with the same team as last game. Cleverley and Anderson have complimented well, Rooney is enjoying #10 role and looks completely different player.

Rio may be fit for the game, I wont take any risks, Phil Jones and Evans have done well, so better to give Rio extended break to recover completely.

Hopefully we win 2-0.

Last edited:
2-0 win for United, I reckon. Rooney and Young with the goals. Arsenal will struggle manfully, but be overwhelmed away from home against a driven young United team.

Got a feeling Chicharito will be on the bench and that we'll go with the same 11, meaning Ferdinand on the bench too.

We should win this game considering the look of Arsenal's midfield at the moment. Looks like Lansbury will be playing, which will be a massive ask for him.

Going for 3-0. Another comfortable win and another clean sheet for De Gea. Rooney with a brace and a late one from Giggs/Hernandez.

Koscielny is very doubtful for Arsenal after his injury, Sebastien Squillaci is injured too which means we've got a semi injured Vermaelen and an 18-year old Miguel partnering Djourou if Vermy wont pass the fitness test. With Gibbs out left wing, presumably Sagna will play on his wrong foot, maybe against Valencia to peg him back through his fitness? Leaving Jenkinson against Nani, who should have a lot of success as Udinese did mid-week.

In short, unless RVP and Walcott have an excellent game.. and I know Evra usually snuffs Walcott out well, so I can't see Arsenal getting much out of this. 3-0 united.

My Arsenal Team:
Szczesny

Jenkinson Vermaelan Miguel Sagna

Ramsey Coquelin Rosicky

RvP Chamakh Walcott​

would play Miguel has Djourou keeps costing us goals and no Arshavin as he is woefull.

i can only hope for a draw. 1-1.

rvp and maybe Rooney or Young for Man U.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

My Arsenal Team:
Szczesny

Jenkinson Vermaelan Miguel Sagna

Ramsey Coquelin Rosicky

RvP Chamakh Walcott​

would play Miguel has Djourou keeps costing us goals and no Arshavin as he is woefull.

wtf, i would have kept rvp back there, and put arshavin in the wings. ;P at least to have a sub striker.

and isnt Coquelin in fc loient loan this season again oO)

Last edited:
Reckon Arsenal will line up -
Szczesny
Jenkinson - Djourou - Vermaelen/Miquel - Sagna
Lansbury - Ramsey - Rosicky
Walcott ------------------------ Arshavin
RVP​

My prediction line up :
wojo
jenkinson, miguel/djuoro, tv5, sagna
ramsey, lansbury ?
walcott, rosicky, arshavin
rvp

Lol_101 did you just miss out the bit when i gave reasons for my team choice?

Lol_101 did you just miss out the bit when i gave reasons for my team choice?

still, i know aa23 has been lol alright but chamkh is not effective enough, like his head is not right or something.

and bendner is about to leave too, plus idk if Joel campbell is available too.

probably we shouldnt have let vela go on loan this year :(

Will only be one winner here and im going to stick my neck out and say a 4-0 win for Utd unfortunatly.

My prediction is, 0-0 for the first half as usual.
Then Arsenal lose it in the 2nd half from a set piece.
Following that, Van Persie equalises.
Finally, an inexperience Arsenal players costs Arsenal a late own goal which seems to fit in just right for an Arsenal vs Man Utd match.

Reckon Djorou will operate in CDM, with Verm and Squill at the back.

Squlacci is injured :D so it will be Miguel at CB if DJ is playing CDM