CraigWL

Reaction score
So I'm managing Welling in the Blue Square South, no particular reason, just liked the challenge, and i went unbeaten in all comps for 16 games before finally losing in the FA Cup 4th qualifying round, but we were still clear at the top of the league by about 10 points and in a strong position, i then played my next match with most of my players on okay/good morale, we won 3-1, now here's what i don't get. During the game, some players' morale went down, (One of my strikers started on okay/fairly poor i believe, then ended on abysmal) I don't understand this as all these players had good games, didn't play badly, didn't get any injuries or whatnot.

So basically what i'm asking is... Why is some of my players' morale going down despite getting a good result? Most of it was as normal after a loss so i dont understand why the odd player's morale would plummet after a good result. Is there anything else which affects morale in game and is there anything i can do to cheer them up?

This just sounds strange...
What kind of teamtalk did you give in the break and after the game? And how did they react to it? Do the individual player profiles tell you what they're upset about? I find it is important to acnowledge good performances (especially in away matches), but it is also important to have good variation in your teamtalks.(don't repeat the same talk over and over, even though performances are consistent).
If your captain has good leadership stats, it's important to find out why he's unhappy, and fix it. After that, I would have a team meeting, talking to the captain first. If he reacts well to your comments, he will help you get the team spirit up.

But it's hard to give good advice, as I don't know what the players are upset about... Could be everything from bad teamtalks, low squad bonuses, to playing for a captain they don't respect.

Thanks for the reply, the assistant handles the team talks, at the half time break we were 3-0 up and i think he told them to just keep doing what they were doing or something along those lines. He's handled them all season and i've never had a problem, i believe the captain is happy and everything however i think it was one of my strikers, the right back and another player somewhere else who ended up with lower morale than before the match started. I don't know what the players are getting worked up about either, just seems odd to me, i think the striker has gone a while without scoring, could that have something to do with his dip in morale? With the other two there's no real indication about why their morale went down as they weren't angry with the teamtalks at half time or anything.

You are a club in non-league football, meaning your staff are likely to have terrible attributes. Their advice/actions are only as good as their attributes, he was bound to make a major error at some point.

Try doing the team talks yourself until you can get a better *** man.

The opposite manager could have upset your players with a media talk if they have a low determination.
I want to hijack the thread and ask how to get a player's morale back when he was not chosen for a vice-captain, is upset about low squad bonuses and too much work in training all in the same time? The player is Osvaldo from Roma.

The only guaranteed way to rectify a players low morale is to give them a new contract. However, be aware that their unhappiness/low morale will creep back in if the underlying problems do not change. In your case Osvaldo is unlikely to get upset again about vice captaincy, but unless you raise the squad bonuses next season and change his training his morale may drop again.

...how to get a player's morale back when he was not chosen for a vice-captain, is upset about low squad bonuses and too much work in training all in the same time? The player is Osvaldo from Roma.

Wow, sounds like you've got bit of a problem...
If I'm not mistaken, he's described as an 'ambitious' player, and I have no clue on how to handle those guys. After a lot of learning by failing, I now get rid of, and never sign, ambitious players. Unless they will be used as captain and be played week in-week out.
Those types have a tendency to be divas and demand too much. The 'professional' type, on the other hand does as he's told. And the 'determined' type will do everything to improve as long as he's remotely happy. Love those guys... ;)

If you are set on keeping Osvaldo, first thing to do is change his training. If other players on the same schedule are happy, make him his own schedule, mostly the same, but less workload.
The vice captaincy thing will probably slowly fix itself, as long as he gets to play on a regular basis.
The bounus issue: nothing to do but raise bonuses at first chance (if you can afford it), or as Jake said, give him a new contract. If you think it's worth it, give him good individual bonuses in the contract. Bottom line is he's greedy, so this might do the trick :p

Good luck!