Who was the best footballer of all time?

Who is the best Footballer of all time?

• Total voters

maxy67

Reaction score
Can only hope that the players I picked people agree with, or at least to a certain extent. Any suggestions for who I should've picked instead are always welcome.

I tried to be unbiased about the country of origin of the players, but I couldn't really help having numerous brazilian players.

Last edited:
So, you voted Pele ? He's my choice too, but since 90% of the people will be biased, I would say George Best.

So, you voted Pele ? He's my choice too, but since 90% of the people will be biased, I would say George Best.

Messi is imo the best player in my own lifetime, however I think Pele is the best ever. 1000+ goals is just incredible. Although messi is still young and could get even better.

Good choice on G Best, great player.

david beckham Erick cantona ryan giggs george best wayne rooney but as there not on the list i vote zidane

As you've said "was" I take it you're excluding Messi? If so I would go Maradona.

I know fine he is not the greatest but my favorite player ever is Dennis bergkamp. A truely beautiful player. I think the best player of all time has to be messi tho!

Pelé. No competition at all. Like mentioned above, 1000+ goals is just insane!

Beckenbauer or ronaldinho(i know he hasnt retired yet)

I love Lionel Messi but the point that I go with is, Pele won the world cup at age 17. Messi won't win one world cup.

I love Lionel Messi but the point that I go with is, Pele won the world cup at age 17. Messi won't win one world cup.

which means he had a better national team nothing more

people always say that you need to win a world cup to be the worlds best

Rubbish.

Have a look a the "5 things pele doesnt want us to know" thread

If u think winning the world cup is what makes a player good then are u calling giggs, cruyff and hajy rubbish.

Messi is fresh in people's minds, if time wasn't involved the results would be massively different. (In my opinion, before people start)

david beckham Erick cantona ryan giggs george best wayne rooney but as there not on the list i vote zidane
Biased much? To be honest, the players you've named are all good players, but most of them I think aren't anywhere near the best players ever! Still, you're entitled to your own opinion, I won't challenge that.

which means he had a better national team nothing more

people always say that you need to win a world cup to be the worlds best

Rubbish.
Not necessarily. If you are a great player like Xavi, then you will be able to carry your team, so it's not just about your team mates (although football is a team game). Players like Lionel Messi can just inspire a team on their own sometimes, but I disagree with the statement 'you need to win a World Cup to be the worlds best' - that just seems like nonsense!

I can't really comment on this, because I've only seen a few of them play, but of the ones I've seen (about six of the latest ones), I would say Cristiano Ronaldo is the best! People may be surprised I didn't say Messi, but Ronaldo is more versatile and a more rounded player than Messi, and to be honest has done brilliant in a team not quite as good as Barcelona's. He's been extremely consistent, although Messi is younger!

​- PZW