gunnerjames

Reaction score
Playing as Arsenal and I am bit confused if I should use Wingers or Inside Forwards in the AMR/AML position. I have Gervinho, Walcott, Arshavin, Benayoun, Oxlade Chamberlain. I also thinking of getting Mario Goetze or Eden Hazard to add some youth and extra creativity to my team.
I know that you only use Inside Forwards when you want to player to cut inside on his stronger foot and drive at goal looking to create scoring opportunities.
Would playing with wingers have the same impact as playing with an inside forward?
I playing a 4-3-3/451 formation with Arteta, Ramsey and Song in the midfield and Robin Van Persie playing upfront as a complete forward – attack
Also what is difference in playing with support or attack duty for the wingers/inside forwards? I am going to be playing with wing backs on support duty and a deep lying playmaker also on support duty.
My next question is would have having 5 players on support duty affect my attacking play and goal scoring opportunities.
Sorry about all the questions but I need help

Wingers usually hug the touchline and serve crosses for a Target man. Since Van Persie is average in heading and jumping ability, you'd be better of using Inside forwards with the attack duty. Gervinho, Arshavin, Hazard etc. all excel in this role. It would be better to use Gotze as an Adv. Playermaker (A).

You should take your playing style into consideration.

If you tend to play possession football and find yourself around the opponent box frequently, it doesn't really matter, although I prefer Inside Forwards here as they will create spaces on the flanks for your wingbacks to use. You'll want that extra width in the final third of the pitch.

When playing a direct style with lots of counter-attacks, I'd rather prefer the classic winger. This has to do with their favourite foot and how your attacking play is built up. See, the final pass usually comes diagonally - be it from deep or from one of the flanks - from the opposite site. To strike it directly, your winger will prefer to use his 'outer' foot, depending on where on the pitch he is. So, imagine you've just recovered from a corner kick against you, your Creative Midfield Guy in the center right of the pitch sees your Left Winger starting through, attempts a long pass across the pitch diagonally to the left. Your Winger closes in for the shot, arrives at the ball - now if he's left-footed, no problem at all. He strikes it directly with righteous fury into the net, leaving nothing but burning marks of rubber on what used to be the goalkeepers' hands. If he's right-footed though he'll want to have the ball on his stronger foot. So he has to stop the cross, move it to his right foot - and this is where usually a centreback slide-tackles in, clearing the ball into the stands.

Anyway, with these players at your disposal, it hardly makes a difference. Considering how hard it is to find decent left-footed AMR guys, never mind playing asymmetrically with a IF left and a Winger on the right. Don't expect too much of a cutting inside competition anyway, in FM11 my IFs rarely cut inside at all.

Playing as Arsenal [...] thinking of getting Mario Goetze or Eden Hazard to add some youth
Because if there's one thing Arsenal is sorely lacking, it's youth.

Anyway, I agree with the assessment by I Hate Fish. The Inside Forward role suits Arsenal's wide players best, as well as at least one of your transfer targets.

if you are using a 4-5-1 formation then you should use an inside forward as that way they'll cut inside to give an extra option in and around the box aswell as leaving space for your fullbacks/wingbacks to exploit.

i was using a 4-5-1 with swansea with sinclair upfront as a poacher and found that using inside forwards meant that he performed better and got more goals. it also meant that when they cut inside they were usually tracked by the opposing fullbacks to give space for mine to exploit and get a cross in from.

im playing Arsenal 4132
4 (both full backs defend only 1 ball playing Central defender and the other as a stopper) 1 (anchor man) 3 (central midfield as box to box and the other 2 as playmakers) and 2 forwards ( 1 complete and the other as poacher) so far so good as undefeated played 15 and only conceaded 4 goals.
I pefer inside forward as if they have a football brain it gives them more choice and cut in from deeper position so harder to defend against