Swansea City: Wales' Pride and Joy

Mike

Like a glove!
Reaction score
Well, just recently I stated that I should be taking a break from stories (see Ponferradina story for information), but after starting a new save I have decided to share my experiences as a Welsh manager with a Welsh team. I have seen a few Cardiff stories yet no Swans ones (obvious reasons, I know XD) but I thought it would be a good idea to start one :)

# # # # #

Swansea_city_badge-1.png

Sousa out, Dale in.

Swansea City have today revealed that ex-Swansea and Tranmere centre midfielder Michael Dale has take then hotseat at the Liberty Stadium. This comes after a dramatic turnaround; Paulo Sousa confirmed he was leaving the club after reports claiming he wanted to be an artist, not a football manager. This didn’t go down too well with the players at the club, but Dale’s appointment certainly turned the frowns upside-down.

Dale was also closely linked with Spanish side Espanyol, but declined the role as he didn’t think there was much he could do abroad.​

It’s a pleasure to have been appointed manager of Swansea City. After spending several years here in my time as a footballer, it certainly is a joy to be sitting here as the ‘big man’. When I first got the call, I was greatly surprised. I really didn’t think about management at the time, but when I got the phone call just a couple of weeks ago I just had to say yes; I’d have been stupid to turn the role down.

As soon as I accepted the role, we got down to brass tax – I won’t give away too much on finances etc but we have a comfortable amount of money to spend, not that we need it to be honest. We have a great squad, and I don’t think there will be much change.

As for the tactical side of the game, I have brought in my own tactics, and so my own rules. The players will be put on a healthy training regime. I expect the players to follow my lead, but I’m the new guy so there may be a few bullyish remarks over the next few weeks.

I really can’t wait to get the season underway, and I believe we are strong enough to gain promotion, but it’s up to the time, not me!

Dale did later admit that he had slight intention in the transfer market but won’t be ‘blowing the budget’. The budget is believed to be around the £1.5M mark.​

Nice Mike, doing the local club I see ;)

Got a bit of a reputation to live up to after your Espanyol Story, no pressure ^^)

Nice Mike, doing the local club I see ;)

Got a bit of a reputation to live up to after your Espanyol Story, no pressure ^^)

Haha.. thanks :$ I hope to do well with this, possibly an update later tonight/early morning (when only Jake and cmh are awake XD) I hope you're following Jack ;)

Good luck Mike, Bodde is class :D

Who the eff is Mike Dale? oO) ;)

Good luck. :)

mike dale is a pretty bad appointment, good luck, keep van der gun he owns that league

Good Luck, Check out my Rovers story if you have time.

Pre-Season

Friendlies
Swansea 4 – 1 Reserves
Swansea 1 – 2 Den Haag
Neath FC 1 – 6 Swansea
Port Talbot 0 – 2 Swansea
Forest Green 0 – 4 Swansea
Swansea 1 – 4 Borussia Monchengladbach
Crusaders 0 – 4 Swansea

Overall, I'm very pleased with the pre-season friendly performances. Great wins at Neath and Forest Green are just what we needed to boost morale and keeping the spirits up. Not too disappointed with the defeats of Den Haag and Gladbach, wasn't too focussed on results but fitness and performance, and I'm happy with both.

English Premier League champions announce link with Swansea

swansunited.png

Manchester United have today confirmed their link with Swansea City, and are now considered to be a parent club to the Swans. This annunciation has pleased everybody at the club, and manager Michael Dale had this to say:​

We had the option to link with either Man Utd or Arsenal. Both teams were interested, and both held the same obligations, but United seemed the more eager and are even looking to send out a player to us already. I really hope this builds up a fantastic relationship between myself and Sir Alex Ferguson. This really is a good day to be a Swansea City fan.

Man Utd will pay Swansea an annual fee of £100K and are looking to loan out full back David Gray in the near future.

David Gray moves to Swansea

gray.jpg

Manchester United’s full back David Gray has moved to feeder club Swansea City on loan until the end of the season. Whether he gets a game or not is entirely up to Michael Dale as Angel Rangel is in fine pre-season form. Gray however did seem confident enough of gaining that first team place and has said he has ‘plenty of time to shine’.​

Last edited:
Boo!Nothing personal, just look at my supported teams and youll get it ;)

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Definatley following.

Swans > Bluebirds
:)

Bluebirds> Swansea :p

Well, just recently I stated that I should be taking a break from stories (see Ponferradina story for information), but after starting a new save I have decided to share my experiences as a Welsh manager with a Welsh team. I have seen a few Cardiff stories yet no Swans ones (obvious reasons, I know XD) but I thought it would be a good idea to start one :)
What are the obvious reasons mate? Oh, and pre-season :)

Loved the Espanyol story so I will defo follow this.:D

I was thinking of doing a story with Ferrie Bodde retired from football and managing Swansea,but you beat me to it ;)

Good luck mate.

Cheers all, not playing until tonight as I have darts later, but hopefully there will be something for you lot to read XD

August

View attachment 51047 Leicester City, A; Coca-Cola Championship – 2-0 (van der Gun, Trundle)

Swansea get off to a great start in the league as Cedric van der Gun and Lee Trundle strike once each to send down Leicester City at The Walkers Stadium. Vander Gun scored after quarter of an hour with a powerful strike, and Trundle doubled the lead just before half time. Darren Pratley bossed the midfield and deserved the Man of the Match award.

View attachment 51048 Yeovil Town, A; League Cup – 4-1 (Dyer, Pintado, Monk 2)

A very good performance away from home for the Swans. Encouragement was shown to the away side at half-time when they were only leading a goal to nil. Nathan Dyer scored early, then a goal from Pintado and a brace from Monk sealed the win. Gavin Tomlin scored only a consolation goal for Yeovil.

View attachment 51049 Middlesbrough, H; Coca Cola Championship – 3-2 (Trundle 2, Pratley)

A cracking display of true football from both teams led to a fantastic match, especially for Swansea City fans. Two goals before half time for City’s Lee Trundle gave them a 2-1 lead at half time; Aliadiere had equalized. Julius Wobay pulled the scores level on 57 minutes, but with only 10 minutes to go, Darren Pratley scored a 30-yard screamer with a half volley after a corner clearance bounced directly in front of him.

View attachment 51050 Reading, H; Coca Cola Championship – 2-2 (Cotterill, Trundle)

Swansea drop their first points of the campaign after yet another superb match of football. David Cotterill and Lee Trundle’s goals either side of half time put Swansea two goals to the good. But on 71 minutes, Grzegorz Rasiak started a great comeback with a fine goal, and Noel Hunt completed it in the first minute of injury time to bring the scores to 2-2. Swansea may feel hard done by as Cedric van der Gun had a decent goal ruled offside and therefore disallowed.

View attachment 51051 Coventry City, A; Coca Cola Championship – 3-3 (Pratley, Dyer, Gower)

Nathan Dyer particularly stood out in today’s fine match. Darren Pratley scored another long range effort early on, but two minutes later Coventry has equalized. After 25 minutes, the hosts went 2-1 up, but only 5 minutes later Man of the Match Nathan Dyer scored a solo goal to bring the scores level. In the second half, Mark Gower completed a fine team goal with a tap in at the far post, but poor concentration gave Coventry the opportunity to level from the kick off and they did. The game finished 3-3.

View attachment 51052 Stockporty County, A; League Cup – 1-0 (Kuqi)

On a night when it really could have gone either way, Swansea did prevail. It took an hour for Shefki Kuqi to score and put Stockport in trouble – his goal a simple 10 yard tap-in. Swansea were often prevented from playing as they wanted to due to the number of fouls committed by their enthusiastic opponents.

Transfer and Cup news

Jeonbuk’s Kim-Sang Shik has happily agreed a contract worth little over £4K a week with Swansea City. The 33 year old has been said to be delighted with the agreement, and cannot wait to move over to Wales to play in the Coca-Cola Championship.

The League Cup 3rd Round draw was made today and Swansea face a tough tie – they play Liverpool at home on Wednesday, 23rd September. It is going to be difficult for Swansea to progress as they’re playing a high reputation club, but who knows what the outcome will be until the night.​

View attachment 51053 Watford, H; Coca-Cola Championship – 3-2 (Dyer, van der Gun, Trundle)

After another stunning display of football, Swansea City beat Watford at the Liberty Stadium in an epic match. Watford didn’t hold back and just short of 20 minutes they were 1-0 up through Danny Graham. Nathan Dyer’s goal right before half time pulled the scores back level. Heidar Helguson took advantage of a mix-up in the box after a Watford corner to put the away side 2-1 up. Cecdric van der Gun rounded off a superb free-flowing move to equalize, and with 14 minutes remaining, Lee Trundle scored the winner in style – Nathan Dyer skipped through 3 players, Gorka Pintado skinned 2, and he played it through to Trundle and he made no mistake. Nathan Dyer was named Man of the Match yet again.

Kim Sang-Shik work permit application turned down

This has spelt bad news on the transfer front for Swansea City as their accepted bid for Kim Sang-Shik of Jeonbuk was declined a work permit. It is believed that Swansea manager Michael Dale has decided to appeal against the decision but is unlikely to get anywhere with it.

Swansea manager ‘upset’ at decision

Michael Dale’s appeal for Kim Sang-Shik’s declined work permit application to be overturned was again turned down. This means the transfer has been cancelled. Dale said this:
I am very upset to see my appeal go down the drain – Kim Sang-Shik is a player I had been looking at to bolster our squad to challenge for the title. Unfortunately we can’t get him now and we’ll have to look elsewhere or make-do with our current setup.”​

Swansea player named Young Player of the Month

nathandyer.png

Nathan Dyer’s excellent first month hasn’t gone unnoticed and has deservedly gained the Young Player of the Month accolade. He’s managed to bag himself 2 goals in 4 appearances on the right wing, has 2 assists and also 2 Man of the Match awards. He’s been in explosive form and is proving to be the first choice winger.

Results

Happy with results thus far. It's nice to see the lads scoring - top scorers in the league with 13, and 5 goals in two games in the League Cup. Let's hope this scoring run can continue to push for the league. Results includes friendlies.

View attachment 51054

Table

Not too displeased with the table - currently lying in 4th place, still unbeaten to date. We have no problem in scoring but it is the defending that's the problem as we're conceding far too many. Maybe the tactics need a look-over.

View attachment 51055

Last edited:
Nice layout mike.(K)
Good start to the season.(H)

¬_¬ Sign will keane......:D