World class greyed out players? FML

Jake

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, there i was, managing Man Utd, crushing everyone in my path in season one. I drew AC Milan in the champions league, i knew i had a chance as Serie A is active on my db and i had noted that AC were struggling due to a huge number of long term injuries.

The day of the match i checked their squad and to my delight i noted they didn't have a single senior centre back available.

View attachment 201039

Great news right?

Then i come to the lineups page and i am greeted by two names that i have never heard of before at the heart of AC Milans defence, i go to check their stats and i find this:

View attachment 201040

View attachment 201041

As far as i am aware, greyed out players are gap fillers, players who appear when you don't have enough players in your squad, enabling you to play every game, they disappear when your squad is replenished by real players. On another FM12 save i am playing as Dortmund, i had a goalkeeper injury crisis and a couple of greyed out keepers appeared, but they were AWFUL!

Is this a bug? If not, then i ask why has SI decided to make the greyed out players for other teams world class? Edit, not just world class, but absolutely identical too...

I have started a thread on the SI forums in search of an answer.

Last edited:
Seems odd. :/ I suppose they base it on a clubs reputation, but yeah, surely those 2 players are over powered for 'fake-filler' players.

that is seriously bs! as you said Jake they are supposed to be there to assist you in order to have the correct amount of players if you have too many injuries or whatever the case may be! Normally the players that are genned are utter ***** and more effective sitting on the side of a street in Liberia! But that is ludicrous! I mean exactly the same! When managing these teams when the player "appears" you normally have the option of signing them on a permenant basis as well! Imagine being the manager of AC now :) you can sign up to free players for nothing and for one are pretty **** good and you can sell them at the end of the season if you wish! tough luck Jake! Go and give them one in the **** anyway!

Just lined up for the second leg, Thiago Silva is back for AC, but look who starts alongside him. Are these guys triplets or something?

View attachment 201049

SI want my save file from just before the milan match, which i don't have, does anyone else with this problem have a save i could ahve from just before the match in question?

do they appear in the team line up if you go back via the fixtures? will that not do for SI investigation ?

do they appear in the team line up if you go back via the fixtures? will that not do for SI investigation ?
They need to know if AC Milan had 18 fit and available real players on that day.

How exactly would someone else's save work though for them to investigate? Surely in someone else's game they might be fit where as in yours they wouldn't be?

I'm just checking one of my saves, I might have one around February/March 2012.

Yeah, seen that with a few teams, unusual....BTW, your logos are awful XD

How exactly would someone else's save work though for them to investigate? Surely in someone else's game they might be fit where as in yours they wouldn't be?

I'm just checking one of my saves, I might have one around February/March 2012.

Im guessing at least a few people out there have lined up against AI controlled opposition who have been hit by an injury/suspension crisis, and have had to play against some world class greyed out players.

Oh right yer probably. Sorry but I got the year wrong, my save is in 2013 not 2012.

IF you're using win7, you could try the restore previous version option for providing SI with what they want!

Happened to me in FM11 too, playing a cup final against Manchester United... they had no strikers available so they beat me with some great Ronaldo like poachers :)

I had a similar situation that all but two players in the German World Cup squad were greyed out? How would they get hold of all of those, or were they all from clubs that they were brought in for and they were good enough to get into the squad, because there were no injuries in the German squad??? If it matters, the two real players in the squad were David Schneider and Nils PreuB

Last edited:
Had this happen to me in both 2011 and 2012.

Internationals and Champs league clash in certain seasons, so while you struggle to put out a first team squad. they bring in 2/3 super-kid/great regens in to fill in those spots, and usually these 3/4 players give your team a very tough game. So you try to scout them, you cant, you check them out on Genie scout..they dont exsist...Game 1 Player 0

Also, these players dissapear after the game is over..if you play a 2nd leg, it may put in same stats but will be a new player profile.
(H)

Last edited:
I searched them on my save but I couldn't find. Is your database huge? They are great cbs.

Don't be arrogant mate.

Read my OP. Greyed out players are not real, they are randomly generated by the game to fill a squad if you dont have enough players. You cant sign them unless they are generated at your club.

The point of my thread is to say that grey players generated at clubs managed by a human manager are always terrible, but the AI managers seem to get world class players.

I know that clubs can't sign them, but can international squads use greyed out players from other squads?