You Are The Ref

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joss

Reaction score
ref.gif

For those of you who read the Guardian, you'll probably be familiar with this one. I'll put up a picture once a week (or whenever they are published on the Guardian website) and you guys have to say what action you think the referee should take in the circumstances. The cartoon will be posted on here by me on a Friday, and on Sunday/Monday i'll put up the official answers from Keith Hackett.

Drawings by Paul Trevellion.

First up, as of 10 September 2010

Starring: A flying elbow, a shoot-out in the rain and some club-coloured underpants...
You-are-the-Ref-Friedel-003.jpg

Click to enlarge and debate below

NB: Wasn't sure where to put this, i think this is right..
Also This Thread is not the Guardian game, but an editing database so don't point me towards it - I have searched but found nothing else.

Last edited:
1.)A penalty
2.)No. The coin had already been tossed, the same side so be it.
3.)Second yellow card, resulting in a red card. He knows what might happen, but done it anyway. It's his own fault

Doubt I've got any correct :3

1) Penalty.
2) Do not change sides.
3) Absolutely nothing.

1. I would award a goal but also give the defender a yellow card. He was at fault for attempting to 'rugby tackle' the striker which is not allowed in football. I will also give a warning to the striker for dangerous play...

2. Of Course, in the spirit of a fair game it would be stupid to make them take penalties in those conditions.

3. Award a second yellow to the striker, and reply "What do you think you are playing at???" Lol

1. Allow the goal to stand. The defender commited a foul, and from there on in you're effectively playing advantage. Also, the striker's elbow was accidental as opposed to the defender's deliberate foul.

2. Move to the other side of the pitch. If both captains agree, that is.

3. Card him. Same rules as for taking your shirt off.

(1) goal
(2) dont change sides
(3) nothing as he as not taken his shirt off he's just pulled down his shorts

1. Give the goal
2. Don't change sides
3. Give him a yellow card, or if already booked, a red

1. Goal or Pen, depends if the ref blew his whistle already
2. If both captains agree he'll swap sides.
3. Second yellow, unsportsmanlike conduct i think

My opinion: (Could be completely wrong... :$)
1. Allow the goal to stand, you have given advantage as the striker has got away from the man fouling him. Don't book either player (they're both sending off offences, but if you send off one and not the other there would obviously be uproar, and you can't send off the defender, because it was a goal :S)

2. If both captains agree, move ends.

3. Issue a second yellow card, followed by a red for unsporting behaviour. (Surely pulling your shorts down is worse than taking off your shirt Calum!)

Other comments on the website:

1. If the forward intentionally elbowed the defender before the ball entered the goal (which I assume) then stop play and disallow goal. Send off forward and show yellow card to defender. Free kick for defence. If elbow is deemed accidental, play on and YC defender after allowing goal.

2. Move the kicks from the penalty spot to the other end of the field.

3. Show scorer a yellow card for unsporting behaviour and show red card for 2 yellows.

1) Goal stands, defender red carded for dangerous play. No action on attacker, accidental contact.

2) Move penalties to other end, but all penalties must be retaken.

3) Second yellow card shown, Red card and player sent off.

1) Goal, red card for defender, and pretend the elbow thrown was accidental, since it did connect with Gary Neville's face, after all.

2) Move penalties to the other end.

3) Second Yellow/ Red.

1) Assume elbow is accidental (striker was off-balance after being dragged down by the defender), allow goal, yellow card to the defender

2) Move to other end of the pitch...both captains are in agreement

3) Second yellow card, leading to a red, and send him off.

1) I would give the goal however sent both players off.
2) I would allow the change of ends for the spot kicks
3) I would give him a second yellow card; resulting in a sending off.

1 - Give the goal. Both to the showers ;)
2 - If both agree... obviously.
3 - Nothing... i would do the same as the striker :D

1) I would disallow the goal and give them both a yellow card
2) I would agree and toss a coin again
3) Sending off straight away, he knows what would happen if he pulled his shorts down

1. Goal. Defender red, Striker yellow.
2. Dont change end.
3. Pretend i didnt see it so no cards.

1) Allow the goal to stand. Defender is red-carded.
2) Change ends.
3) Second yellow card, hence a sending off.

1 - Goal, defender sent off, striker get a yellow
2- no change
3- second yellow card

Good game :)

1 - Goal, defender sent off, striker get a yellow
2- no change
3- second yellow card

Good game :)

Thanks, hopefully enough people will play.. i could do a sort of leaderboard with people who get it right, except that i imagine several people will get it right each time.. i'll have a think tomorrow when the answers are up!

1. Goal and red card for both players.
2. Abandon Match
3. Second yellow card for unsporting behaviour.

1. Allow the goal to stand, Give both the striker and the defender a yellow card.
2. Allow the change. If the surface is uneven, then there may be arguments if one team loses.
3. Second yellow. No different from taking a shirt off TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.