Your England World Cup Starting 11

Deejayseesee

Lest we forget.
Reaction score
Don't think this has been done, but if it has, sorry. It is pretty self explanitary, post your starting XI or XVIII. My Team is:

Paul Robinson
Micah Richards* - John Terry - Rio Ferdinand - Ashley Cole
Glen Johnson** - James Milner - Gareth Barry - Joe Cole
Wayne Rooney - Peter Crouch

Subs: J.Hart, G.Cahill, A.Johnson, M.Carrick, J.Defoe, S.Warnock, P. Jagielka

Others: James, Upson, Lescott, Baines, Wright-Phillips, Downing, Gerrard, Lampard, Jenas, Bent, Zamora

* - Micah Richards is NOT in bold because he is the only player I am unsure about.
** - I know Glen Johnson is a right-back, but he is a very attacking player who loves to get in the mix, that is why I put him there.

Regards,
David "Rudolph" Charnock

Joe Hart
Johnson | Terry | Ferdinand | Shorey
Barry
Lampard | Gerrard
(Rw) Milner A.Johnson (Lw)
Rooney​

I'll do my Starting Eleven:

GK: Pauk Robinson: Due to his stellar performances for Blackburn when he wasn't injured, plus, I don't rate Rob Green that high, Hart I don't think would cope at his age with the likes of Torres, Villa, Fabiano, Pato, Henry, Anelka, Drogba etc. charging at him on an international stage, though that is not to say I don't think he is composed and a decent keeper, because I think he is excellent.

RB: Glen Johnson: Because Wes Brown is **** and Hargreaves won't go.

CB: Rio Ferdinand: Obviously because he is captain, but he better give a performance.

CB: John Terry: A best central defender, but not the best in the world by a long-shot.

LB: Ashley Cole: Best left back in the world, 'nuff said.

ARM: Aaron Lennon: I highly rate him and his pace could be a useful asset against the great lefts back sure to grace the World Cup.

RM: Steven Gerrard: Play him on the inside right, having him move all around the midfield area breaking up attacks, flying into tackles and making passes. Could also provide cover for Lennon in case he is over-powered.

CM: Gareth Barry: Due to Hargreaves not going, but also because he has played well for Man. City this season and I would have him moving back to cover the defence whilst playing the passes forward.

LM: Frank Lampard: I'd play him on inside left to do exactly the same as Gerrard whilst sometimes cutting in and having a shot and pushing up.

ALM: Theo Walcott, Joe Cole or Johnson: If Walcott, I would use him for the same purpose as Lennon and bomb forward to help the one striker. If Cole or Johnson, I would use them for expert passing and crossing and the occasional shot.

ST: Wayne Rooney: If he continues his phenomenal form, it's an obvious choice.

Also, if we go need a goal, I'd go with Crouch up front too and take off our left winger, swapping Walcott, if he plays, for Lennon and putting him on the right (So basically taking Lennon off and putting Walcott on the right), push Lampard out onto the left and have a more attacking approach from the full backs. If we go 2-0 up and need to defend, I'd keep the same formation but play more for keeping the ball for extended periods of time, have Barry, Gerrard and Lampard lie deeper into our half and ensure the full backs are set are defending.

Im Not English, but ill give my opinion anyway XD.

GK: Green
RB: Johnson
CB: Terry
CB: Ferdinand
LB: Cole
DM: Barry
CM: Gerrard
CM: Lampard
RW: Milner
ST: Rooney
LW: Walcott

I think Rob Green is the best option for England in goal at the moment. Having a keeper who plays for a side bottom of your league like David James would make strike force's eyes light up in the WC. Milner deserves a spot due to his great form this season, and Johnson and Walcott havent done anything wrong in the internationals they played; so why take them out?

Hart
Johnson-Terry-Ferdinand-A Cole
Gerrard-Barry-Lampard-Milner
Rooney-Defoe

Subs:
Robinson
Warnock
Baines
Crouch
Lennon
Wright-Phillips
Bent

Green
G.Johnson Rio Terry A.Cole
Milner Gerrard Lampard A.Johnson
K. Davies Rooney
subs: robinson,hart (Gks) m.richards, jagielka, lescott,shawcross, walcott,barry,dunn,a.young,zamora,defoe

GK: Joe Hart, been in good form for Birmingham this year
LB: Ashley Cole, one of the best in the world. Let's hope he gets to full fitness and some match practice too.
CBL: John Terry, solid CB, hopefully he doesn't have to take a penalty.
CBR: Rio Ferdinand, looks like his fitness and performance issues are over for the season.
RB: Glen Johnson, can't think of anyone else who could offer as much defensively and on the attack
CMD: Michael Carrick, don' know why, just prefer him to Barry
CMA: Frank Lampard, fit and in-form, plus a great personality.
LW: Adam Johnson, probably the best performing LW at the moment.
RW: Aaron Lennon, the most difficult decision but probably best suited for this position.
ST: Wayne Rooney, do I really need to explain.
ST: And here I can't make up my mind so I'll let Fabio choose one out of Heskey, Defoe, Crouch and Bent.

SUB1: Rob Green
SUB2: Michael Dawson, deserves a call-up but if Terry and Rio are fit then he'll stay on the bench.
SUB3: Steven Gerrard, a big decision but he hasn't been at his best this season and I have my doubts. But he is a great professional and can turn in great performances at the world cup.
SUB4: Joe Cole, can play on the left, right and in the center.
SUB5: James Milner, same applies. If Johnson or Bentley don't work out then him and Cole should get their places.
SUB6: Leighton Baines, don't see Bridge making the squad, can he play on the right if necessary?
SUB7: Theo Walcott, can play on both wings and in the attack if necessary.

Others: David James, Aaron Lennon, Micah Richards,one striker out of Heskey, Defoe, Crouch and Bent. And someone who's really versatile defensively.

Don't think this has been done, but if it has, sorry. It is pretty self explanitary, post your starting XI or XVIII. My Team is:

Paul Robinson

Others: James, Upson, Lescott, Baines, Wright-Phillips, Downing, Gerrard, Lampard, Jenas, Bent, Zamora

* - Micah Richards is NOT in bold because he is the only player I am unsure about.
** - I know Glen Johnson is a right-back, but he is a very attacking player who loves to get in the mix, that is why I put him there.

Regards,

David "Rudolph" Charnock

No offence, but we'd be lucky to to get to the quarters with that team.

Last edited:
GK. Hart
RB. Johnson
LB. Cole
CB. Terry
CB. Ferdinand
DM. Barry
CM. Gerrard
CM. Lampard
RW. Milner
LW. J.Cole
FW. Rooney

i cant believe how many people have dropped gerrard!

Joe Hart

Glen Johnson - John Terry - Rio Ferdinand - Ashley Cole

James Milner - Frank Lampard - Steven Gerard - Ashley Young

I think the op team is awful tbh :/
no gerrard or lampard? wtf!? :O
barry is highly overrated imo :)

Paul Robinson

Regards,
David "Rudolph" Charnock
[/QUOTEBit short of CM's there
Green
Johno Terry Ferdinand A.Cole
Milner Lamps Barry Lennon
Gerrard
Rooney

Joe Hart

Johnson (If fit) Terry Rio A.Cole(If unfit, Baines)

Walcott Lampard Carrick Joe Cole/Adam Johnson

Gerrard

Rooney

Last edited:
4-4-2
GK: Joe Hart
RB: Glen Johnson
CB: John Terry
CB: Rio Ferdinand
LB: Ashley Cole
RM: Aaron Lennon
DM: Gareth Barry
CM: Frank Lampard
LM: James Milner
ST: Jermaine Defoe
ST: Wayne Rooney

Subs: David James, Stephen Warnock, Michael Dawson, Steven Gerrard, Michael Carrick, Ashley Young, Peter Crouch

4-5-1
GK: Joe Hart
RB: Glen Johnson
CB: John Terry
CB: Rio Ferdinand
LB: Ashley Cole
RW: Aaron Lennon
CM: Frank Lampard
DM: Gareth Barry
CM: Steven Gerrard
LW: James Milner
ST: Wayne Rooney

Subs: David James, Stephen Warnock, Michael Dawson, Michael Carrick, Ashley Young, Peter Crouch, Jermaine Defoe

Hart
Johnson, Ferdinand, Jagielka, Cole
Lennon, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Milner
Rooney

Joe Hart
Glen Johnson - John Terry - Rio Ferdinand - Ashley Cole
Steven Gerrard - Gareth Barry
Aaron Lennon - Frank Lampard - Joe Cole
Wayne Rooney

Subs:
David James
Michael Dawson