Your World Cup Memories

JP Woody

Reaction score
With the World Cup getting closer im wondering what your memorys are from World Cups past. Good,bad ,happy or sad,funny or just weird,great goals or terrible misses,lets hear your memorys.

The first World Cup i can really remember was Mexico 86,its still my favorite World Cup,the first time i seen what a genius Maradona was,and what a cheating little **** he was too.Also Italia 90 sticks in my mind for Gazza'a tears and Roger Milla scoring goals at the tender age of 76.

p1_maradona_1011.jpg

Might want to change the thread title JP.

Umm,Geoff Hurst hitting the underside of the crossbar in '66.

Well, I've only remembered World Cups since the Korea/Japan one in 2002, which obviously leaves Italy's triumph in 2006. I remember Germany beat Saudi Arabia 8-0, that same day we had a football tour with the school and we beat the other team 8-0.

Does anyone America 94 and Colombian defender Escobar? He scored an own goal which knocked Colombia out and he was shot dead for it when he returned home.

I'm only 14, so the first one I really watched was Germany '06.
Main memories were:
Ronaldo/Rooney/Carvalho incident.
Portugal/England penalty shootout.
Trinidad and Tobago celebrating a 0-0 draw as if they'd won the competition.
Zidane's sending off.

Does anyone America 94 and Colombian defender Escobar? He scored an own goal which knocked Colombia out and he was shot dead for it when he returned home.

I was three at that time, but heard of the incident on many occasions. Sad really, but teaches you not to do it next time. If only there was a next time.

The first world cup i can remember is the 2002 world cup.
I remember supporting japan because thats were pokemon came from.:$

Also remember watching england getting knocked out in my primary schools hall.:'(

Didn't see it live but the clip where the Zaire players charge down a freekick is pretty good.

Earliest World Cup I remember was '98. So there's the obvious Beckham sending off/Owen goal v Agentina and the resulting penalty shoot out in the 2nd round.

2002 I watched mostly whilst at school I seem to recall - the Sweden and Nigeria games anyway, the group stages were awful but remember the Beckham penalty v Argentina, watched that game at home. Vaguely remember the 2nd round battering of Denmark but remember watching the Brazil game and watching Ronaldinho's freekick.

Also think Rivaldo's theatrics were in this world cup? correct me if I'm wrong. Then there's an overhead kick I can vaguely remember, possibly by a Turk....

Anyway, 2006, again the usual scraping of the group stages/second round. Nothing memorable sticking out apart from Owen's injury and Joe Cole's goal v Sweden? Then of course the Ronaldo winker 'controversy' in the QF.

2002, I remember Belgium being knocked out in the Group Stages, I was 5 and in France. Also, I remember Germany conceding both goals in the Final and Ronaldo's dive was class!!

taking the day off school to watch england v brazil in the 2002 world cup only to see ronaldinho score the flukiest goal ever :'(

when costa rica took the lead against germany in the opening day of the world cup 2006, It was great because a city legend in Paulo Wanchope scored it

when costa rica took the lead against germany in the opening day of the world cup 2006, It was great because a city legend in Paulo Wanchope scored it

i rememebr that match didnt end something like 4-2

Yeah Rivaldo's dive in 2002 was pure comedy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgfRCa71Kmw"]YouTube- Rivaldo how fake?[/ame]

Also, who were the only unbeaten team in '74?

Oh, I don't know, why not ask Maureen XD

taking the day off school to watch england v brazil in the 2002 world cup only to see ronaldinho score the flukiest goal ever :'(

our school put the game on a big screen in the hall for us :) there was a mess after that

our school put the game on a big screen in the hall for us :) there was a mess after that

lol our school let us stay off they gave everyone a letter and you had to give the letter back to the school before the day of the match to bet allowed to stay off lol

First memories were 1998. I thought Nuno Gomes was awesome haha.