A small Guide to Italian language widely used in football.

maxy67

Reaction score
Welcome to my small guide on Italian words and phrases which make up a large part of footballing vocabulary, when explaining tactics and many small aspects of the game. I hope it's helpful as I've seen a few people on the forums, asking what certain terms mean.

View attachment 262696

I will keep the guide small for now, and add more later.

Gianni Brera the Italian journalist was the creator of many of these terms.

Melina- A word credited to Brera, is the word for passing the ball uselessly around the back (amongst the defenders)

Abatini- Another word credited to Brera literally signifies "young priest". A luxury player the team cannot afford to have. While a player with great skill, with the capability to open up defences and produce moments of magic, this sort of player is weak and dosen't track back and defend. His skill and moment genius does not justify the hole left in the midfield by his weakness.

Roles

The Mediano- A ball winning midfielder, destroyer of the play

The Regista- The "director" of the play. Effectivley the Italian term for a deep-lying playmaker of a side. A skillful playmaker who would distribute passes to the wings and to the forwards (who used to before modern football became faster, did not have to run much or track back.) See. Andrea Pirlo at Euro 2012.

The Fantasisti- Those with fantasy or imagination on the pitch, a tricky winger or skillful midfielder who can unlock defences with their dribbling or passing.