An alternative to penalty shootouts ?

Lol_101

Reaction score
BBC Sport - Sepp Blatter wants penalty shoot-out alternative

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has asked Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative to the "tragedy" of penalty shoot-outs.

Beckenbauer is head of the Football Task Force 2014, a group designed to recommend rule changes. "Football can be a tragedy when you go to penalty kicks,"

Blatter said. "Football should not go to one to one. When it goes to penalty kicks football loses its essence." He added: "Perhaps Franz Beckenbauer with his football 2014 group can show us a solution, perhaps not today but in the future."

The Champions League final was decided on penalties this season, with Chelsea winning after Bayern Munich dominated the game. It was the 10th time that the European Cup final has gone to a shoot-out.

What should replace it ? Golden goal rule ? Player Removal at extra time ?

Last edited:
First of all i think changing the penalty shootouts would be a mistake
Second the only thing that comes to mind as an alternative either coin tossing or something similar to points in boxing
like teams get rated for shoots on goals possession corners fouls, some of those give plus some minus points and the team with higher score wins after 90 mins if its a draw

Golden goal rule playing into infinity I reckon! But no point in changing the rule, it is the fairest way.

I just dont see how they can change it.

Playing golden goal into infinity wont happen because of player fitness/likely injuries

Points systems on rating the team on how well they do wont happen

Coin tosses just wont happen, not since the Euros semi final 1968 when i think Italy won via a coin toss. Draw happened in the final too but instead of coin toss they decided to have a replay.

Replays cant happen, not with the rigourous scheduling of domestic competitions and international tournaments.

Penalties have to be the fairest way really. Its exciting for fans too. I love a good penalty shootout. Yea they can be cruel but is there really a better way?
I know they tried out different methods including american penalty shootouts (like a penalty shootout but the player dribbles from 35 yards out and has to try and beat the keeper). Bit more skill involved but its the same result really

I think we should find an alternative to Sepp Blatter and not PK shootouts. Bayern weren't complaining when they got to the final through pk's against Madrid, but just because an English team won it they have to change the rules. I don't think it is unfair. 120 minutes and the sides are still even, the players are exhausted, I think they should go to penalties. Plus it makes the game more exciting and makes your heart stop because of the tension.

1- If penalties are such a tragedy then explain me why the Athletic Bilbao players wept so much after losing the UEFA Cup final.

2- If penalties are such an unfair thing to be eliminated, then eliminate the area. It would be the same either when done by a group of five after 120 mins as when they decide a winner by being one scored in the middle of the match.

Is he serious? Penalty shoot outs are the most exciting part of football IMHO. (well for the neutrals).

I don't see any idea...

Benfica lost a champions league final, and a champions league semi final, because of COIN TOSS! T_T

I think that this is a great idea! That way Bayern wouldn't have gotten through to the final

No idea. Golden ball was terrible, so are penalties , dont make me start about coin toss. Personally i very bitter and discontent with penalty shootouts after WC 2006. Even when Zidane's headbutt and redcard happened, Italy kept camping their goal with 10 people with one man advantage, fully knowing they will have enormous advantage in the shootout with Buffon vs. Barthez. I get that i was viable tactic but it didnt feel like in the spirit of the game.

Maybe team captains could just fight to the death.

Penalties may not be fair, but Golden Goal isn't a suitable replacement. Crossbar challenge sounds good from first thought, but when I think about it again, it would just be like the penalty shootout. The team that would lose would feel just as bad as a team that would lose on penalties. It could also take a very long time for a team to win, just like the Golden Goal.

Keep the Pens.

Last edited:
Well.

I guess you could make an argument that crossbar challenge would somewhat make it more fair.

As it is, side like Chelsea with goalie like Petr Cech , who is bigger then average bear, has significant advantage. The other team becomes completely mindfucked, with all the pressure and stress all they see is huge goalkeeper and a very small goal :p

I got an idea.
How about the referee thinks of a number between 1 and 100.
The captains of both teams take turns at guessing the number and can ask 5 questions about the number.
The winning team is the one that guesses the number first.

Funny that nobody mentioned replays. They were done before in football and theres nothing to say they cant be done again.

If 2 teams are equal in most other sports they finish the match and schedule a replay. IT seems like the fairest thing as both teams have a good chance again.

Replays were droped for a reason, there's nothing that stops replayed match from ending with a draw again.

Last edited: