Anybody want to test Universidad De Chile Sampaoli Tactic?

Fanty111

Reaction score
The club of the moment? Universidad de Chile: sweeping up trophies in their domestic league, unbeaten in 35 games, and this week crowned Copa Sudamericana champions, their first ever continental title.

More interesting than their success has been their style of play. Coming 18 months after Marcelo Bielsa took Chile to the World Cup having played dynamic, quick football with heavy pressing, usually in a 3-3-1-3 formation, his fellow Argentine Jorge Sampaoli is doing something similar.
“Their style of play is an indication that Marcelo Bielsa planted some interesting seeds in Chilean football,” says Tim Vickery. “Sampaoli is a Bielsa disciple.” According to Gabriele Marcotti in The Times, Sampaoli is “at the training ground by half past 8 and doesn’t leave before 9 at night. And, when he does go home, he sits in bed watching (football) DVDs and doing video analysis on his computer”, reminiscent of Bielsa’s habit of living in a room at the Chilean FA’s headquarters away from his family and compiling video databases of his players and opponents.
The basic Bielsa template is apparent. Sampaoli uses three at the back and his side attack very directly, with various players making forward runs towards goal and plenty ending up in the penalty area.
There are significant differences between Bielsa’s Chile and Sampaoli’s Universidad de Chile, however. Sampaoli seems more pragmatic than Bielsa. Although Bielsa would switch between a back three and a back four depending upon the opponent’s formation and always maintain his ‘un enganche y tres puntas’ upfront, Sampaoli changes formation more. Reviewing his recent formations (mainly courtesy of Joel Sked’s excellent site about Chilean football) shows how much variation there is:

That 3-0 second leg win over LDU saw UDC play their 3-4-3, which appears to be the main formation.
At the back, there was a fairly standard back three, with the central defender sitting deeper than the other two. The right-sided centre-back, Osvaldo Gonzalez, had license to move forward, and in this match the right of the side was more dangerous throughout.
The wing-backs were also standard wing-backs. They played high up the pitch and were attack-minded, but they generally looked to hug the touchlines and stretch the play, providing overlaps and allowing the wide forwards inside. This is a little different to how Bielsa played with Chile, however. He liked his front three players to stay wide, and the wing-backs were more like box-to-box midfielders, in the sense that they’d exploit the wingers creating gaps in the defence, and would make diagonal runs towards goal – although he often used one player like this on one side, and a natural wing-back on the other.
The midfield duo can basically be broken down into a holder, Marcelo Diaz, and an attacking midfielder, Charles Aranguiz. Diaz is clever with his distribution, rather than being solely a destroyer – he’s more of a David Pizarro than a Gary Medel. Aranguiz sometimes dropped deeper and allowed Diaz forward, bringing variability and unpredictability to the central zone. Because of that, Aranguiz doesn’t feel like an enganche, more of a midfield runner than a creator.
Gustavo Canales, the central striker, played a role almost solely focused upon creating space for the two wide players. He dropped deep, made backwards runs and held the ball up, and because LDU were playing only three at the back against the three forwards, there was no sweeper to cut out balls played in behind. Canales would bring the central of the three defenders out, and the wide players would make inward runs into goalscoring positions. It was very similar to the way Mexico played upfront going into the World Cup.
The wide players were excellent. Eduardo Vargas has been linked with a move to various European clubs and is clearly the star man. According to Jonathan Wilson, he is “a less technical, more direct version of Alexis Sanchez”, which can be attributed, at least in part, to the aforementioned differences in the duties of the wide players under Bielsa and Sampaoli. On the other side, Francisco Castro started deeper but made equally direct runs.
It all combines for a quick, exciting and overwhelmingly attacking brand of football, perhaps summed up best in the 4-0 win over Flamengo:
But the most interesting aspect of UDC’s play is their pressing. They close down from the front and they pressure in midfield, but the defensive line doesn’t seem as suicidally high as in Bielsa’s system. Even without the insistence on a spare man behind, they seem more controlled in the way they win the ball back and more organised, whereas Chile under Bielsa often seemed frantic for the sake of being frantic.
We should be careful in how much we hype this side – the Sudamericana is very much the secondary continental competition in South America. But the main positive from this tale is not about results or ability – it’s the fact that, in a globalised world of homogeneous football tactics, there is still the ability for individuals to bring a distinct character to footballing ideology in a particular country. “A Chilean style of play” has a clear meaning – other countries of similar size and ability can only dream of such an identity.

Taken from Zonal Marking

View attachment 242352View attachment 242353View attachment 242354

Working well for me at the minute, i've tried to create this based on what the article above has portrayed...

Lost to Barcalona but isn't much of a suprise, only restricted them to 11 shot and 5 shots on target

Still not conceded from open play only set play from Barca and the result against Sporting is very encouraging

I really would like some of you guys to test this tactic elsewhere, even with UDC to see how it translates from RL to FM

Touchline shouts: Get Ball Forward, Play Out Of Defence & Hassle Opponents
Opposition instructions: Close down centre backs

Download Universidad De Chile Recreation.tac from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Enjoy i'll keep the thread going and post more screen as i'm going along

Enjoy

Version two: http://www.sendspace.com/file/af52bb

for V2 use Work Ball Into Box, Hassle Opponants & Play Out Of Defence

Its been much more effective and more like this diagram of UDC formation

View attachment 242538

Last edited:
I'll give it a try with my Wigan team. IF I can download it, as I have been having problems downloading tactics recently, I will give you some feedback!

Thanks guys

have you tried it Maxy67???

I haven't tried it, but I've been asked to re-create it on several occasions as part of my recreation series of tactics. Just glad to see someone gave it a go, as I never got round to it. :)

I haven't tried it, but I've been asked to re-create it on several occasions as part of my recreation series of tactics. Just glad to see someone gave it a go, as I never got round to it. :)

ahh lol ive still not lost and only conceded one goal since barcalona. in the article i posted it use the word 'overwhelming' it really has been that for me, goals come slow in games so people dont expect to kill off the game in first half, have patience lads

Just been appointed at Southampton - that should be interesting!! - will come back and report!!

Just been appointed at Southampton - that should be interesting!! - will come back and report!!

I'm under the impression they have a strong squad, should be good, let me know your results

I finally lost

against Villereal and they didnt deserve it within an inch of their lives!

View attachment 242371

"Maybe you're using the wrong uniform color, it should have been something more red" (ok this is just joke, hope u got it :) )

Now into serious questions, did u keep the original players in FCP, and if yes what 10 you are using (I'm guessing that Hulk is already there).

I'm just wondering, cauze I'm going to put this on my team as 2nd Tactic to use in the next season :)

Cheer's m8 (and if necessary, sorry for the joke, nothing against FCP)

"Maybe you're using the wrong uniform color, it should have been something more red" (ok this is just joke, hope u got it :) )

Now into serious questions, did u keep the original players in FCP, and if yes what 10 you are using (I'm guessing that Hulk is already there).

I'm just wondering, cauze I'm going to put this on my team as 2nd Tactic to use in the next season :)

Cheer's m8 (and if necessary, sorry for the joke, nothing against FCP)

Hulk out for four months, and the funny thing is I have a Benfica shirt in my draw lolololol

errmmm attacking movement i'm using

please tinker the tactic depending on what formation your playing against, if they have high wingers that are quick you might get ****** so get them man marked and defensive line dropped, i changed the MCR to AP on attack duty, adds new dimention going forward

I need more testers though, I get that sinking feeling that it might not work for mid table teams lol

Wow, it's a nice surprise to see people interested in Universidad de Chile, I've been watching hundreds of videos and all of their games since last season exploits in Copa Sudamericana and I've watched all their games this season, domestic and Copa Libertadores trying to make a clear picture of the system and maybe replicate it on FM, so it's a welcome news to see others trying to follow a system that has given Bielsa and U de Chile front page news.
Sunday 29th April, 21h00 v Colo Colo, if anyone is interested.

@Fanti111-Very good job Fanti111, but it seems you are playing with default roles and that is impossible to reflect the true potential of "la U", simply because of players individual role specificity within this match engine. Each player role should be tweaked specifically and that means you have to pay close attention in real life and same time watch full matches in FM. Also, I believe the tactic philosophy should change from very rigid to balance as it is much closer to the real "U", the tempo and time wasting should be tweaked as well; remember "la U" is known as the South American Barcelona, so the passing style is more short than direct and time wasting on 10 and tempo maybe near normal 10 too. It's not a criticism, but just an input to try to make it better. Again, thanks to bring "la U" to the forum as my lab testing with them continues. cheers.

Last edited:
errmmm attacking movement i'm using

please tinker the tactic depending on what formation your playing against, if they have high wingers that are quick you might get ****** so get them man marked and defensive line dropped, i changed the MCR to AP on attack duty, adds new dimention going forward

I need more testers though, I get that sinking feeling that it might not work for mid table teams lol

Hey Cheer's m8,

I'll let you know about mid Table teams, as I'm managing one and this is one of the tactics I'll be trying... The prob here is that I have a 5 year project that involves bringing young player's with good potential into to the first 11... and it may take more than one season to get proper feedback, due to the mistakes that are made by having to many young players on the squad... Anyaway I can tell you straight away that I do a agree with Zagallo about the passing and tempo, from the matches that I've seen from UCL I feel that they like to have control of possession like Barça, but they tend to play a bit faster than them... but not that fast, as they are wasting a bit of possession by trying to go to quick. Another thing, but about experience with in the match, whenever u play with a team that pressures to high in the field the team seams to struggle to go out of their own half, so they try to put the ball back to the keeper that than puts a long trow to the DLF and this one need's to be strong and need's to know how to hold the ball and have creativity & passing to let the attack flow. And I really like the way the defense works, as the opposition only targets with long shot's... and even against pacey ST u can manage to be secure the back even if they are slow. I'll do some tweak's with time, but I really like the way UCL plays and I think that the basic form can go for a great tactic, let's see...

And thank you for the good job... I always like to see something that doesn't involve only European Football

Daves

Wow, it's a nice surprise to see people interested in Universidad de Chile, I've been watching hundreds of videos and all of their games since last season exploits in Copa Sudamericana and I've watched all their games this season, domestic and Copa Libertadores trying to make a clear picture of the system and maybe replicate it on FM, so it's a welcome news to see others trying to follow a system that has given Bielsa and U de Chile front page news.
Sunday 29th April, 21h00 v Colo Colo, if anyone is interested.

@Fanti111-Very good job Fanti111, but it seems you are playing with default roles and that is impossible to reflect the true potential of "la U", simply because of players individual role specificity within this match engine. Each player role should be tweaked specifically and that means you have to pay close attention in real life and same time watch full matches in FM. Also, I believe the tactic philosophy should change from very rigid to balance as it is much closer to the real "U", the tempo and time wasting should be tweaked as well; remember "la U" is known as the South American Barcelona, so the passing style is more short than direct and time wasting on 10 and tempo maybe near normal 10 too. It's not a criticism, but just an input to try to make it better. Again, thanks to bring "la U" to the forum as my lab testing with them continues. cheers.

thanks for the input

I'll look at them and see how it works, I'll watch more videos as well

When did Vargas leave UDC?

Guys should i use this tactic, with swansea? i warn you, my defence is 0, and i don't score easily !!!