Ghents

Reaction score
I've been trying to make a useful Libero tactic since FM13, but with the removal of sliders/etc. it's made it difficult. I think SI have improved the Libero quite a bit in FM16. I've built a tactic around the Libero in FM16 and it's more than functional. Here is what it looks like:

8jmWyhM.png

RetODzI.png

8gyVJDR.png

Zj0C2c2.png

This wasn't built to be a beat-all tactic, but a fun and functional tactic utilizing a Libero. I ended up finishing 6th in my first season with NUFC and qualifying for EURO, which was my goal. Here are what my transfers looked like, most coming in January after reluctantly selling Daryl Janmaat.

yj4eD7Z.png

I don't use an OI. I use a mixed corner setup and long throw, though I don't have anyone with bullet throw at the moment. No special training (fitness, cohesion, balance) and attacking movement for match training.

For the Libero, I would recommend someone very good on the ball with good physicals/stamina. It sounds weird, but a converted support AMC would probably work nice. I also have the PPMs: run with the ball more, dribble up the center, try killer through balls and get further forward. He doesn't bomb into the box, but it can be done with some nice build up play and often he's there to recycle possession and hit through balls.

Whoops forgot to attach the tactic.

Last edited:
Nice! Last time i made a Libero tactic was like 2012, may just give this a download and try as my third tactic mate :)

Alternative libero tactic

I have read the 'Bringing back the libero' thread with interest because I'm a confirmed libero fan. Using a libero has been my preferred tactic over the years.

I play with a libero, plus a flat back four including two complete wing backs (usually on attack), three central midfielders (ideally a central mid defend flanked by a deep lying play maker and a central mid support/ attack or box-to-box, and then either two strikers (ideally including a target man) ot a striker plus shadow striker.

I like the team to play fluidly and, once they're used to the system, to roam from positions. The complete wing backs are essential for providing options and creating chances.

In the leagues I usually manage in (lower league Greek or English) it takes time to introduce the tactic. It takes time to find suitable players: I find usually they don't come ready-made but have to be converted, usually from a defensive midfielder or centre back (or possibly a full back).

Finding/developing a first choice sweeper, back up sweeper, and having further options in the youth team or on the shortlist requires major scouting and developmental effort!

it's not an easy tactic to introduce but I love it once I've got it working. I find teams can play with compactness and with a pattern and a rhythm to their play. I wish the game made more of a distinction between a sweeper and a libero: the latter rarely go on surging (Van ****-like) runs, though they do occasionally pop up to slot the ball home.

Thanks for sharing this. Looks like a very fun formation. I still have vivid memories of one of my favourite players Ruud Gullit owning this role during his spell at Chelsea.

Ghents I have been following the Simeone thread over at SI. Please share your version once you have completed it.

Gullit

Thanks for sharing this. Looks like a very fun formation. I still have vivid memories of one of my favourite players Ruud Gullit owning this role during his spell at Chelsea.

Yes, would be perfect!

From memory only a few defenders are natural sweepers at the start of the game, although you can retrain your better technical defenders. I believe Vertonghen can play there and maybe some others.

lol... does anyone know good defenders that can play Libero? :)

From memory only a few defenders are natural sweepers at the start of the game, although you can retrain your better technical defenders.

In the highest-ranking leagues (where I rarely manage), there tend to be few ready-made sweepers. Lower down, there are more - particularly if you look to certain territories. For example, eastern Europe, Israel, Latin America.

In my experience, Latin America (nb Argentina, Chile) is the best source of young ready-made sweepers.

I agree it's more often a case of retraining. Usually a defensive midfielder or centre back, though possibly a full back.

When I scout for potential sweepers I start by looking for:
  • flexibility (i.e., the play can already play in more than one - and preferably several - position(s))
  • anticipation
  • acceleration
  • tackling
Though you can set the player search engine to look for the preloaded range of sweeper attributes, it throws up too large a number of attributes to be helpful. Even more with libero attributes.

I have tried to create a good libero tactic in FM16 but none of them has been outstanding. Its a fun challenge. Maybe i will try again to make a great one. Been fooling around with a raumdeuter tactic for a longer time, and it turned out great (see raumdeuterparty thread). Maybe its time to bring back the libero - Gullit-style :)