I'll try this with villa tomorrow im about 11 games in just started playing poor so not sure if to try 11 games in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're playing poor, I doubt trying it out will hurt!

Ended up in 7th place with 62 points as West Ham, with only the bigs boys above me. Arsenal won the league with 92 points, Man Utd 2nd with 82 points and Spurs, City, Liverpool and Chelsea right above me. Bought Dembele for £11m from Celtic now tho, so should be better. Won the first league match against Liverpool 5-1 with Dembele bagging a hattrick, so looks better already. Feels to me like the striker and the attacking CM are the most important players.

Last edited:
Ended up in 7th place with 62 points as West Ham, with only the bigs boys above me. Arsenal won the league with 92 points, Man Utd 2nd with 82 points and Spurs, City, Liverpool and Chelsea right above me. Bought Dembele for £11m from Celtic now tho, so should be better. Won the first league match against Liverpool 5-1 with Dembele bagging a hattrick, so looks better already. Feels to me like the striker and the attacking CM are the most important players.

That is very true.
My results suffered significantly when Diego Costa got injured and I was playing Batshuayi who couldn't hit a barn door. I think it is his "Moves in to channels" PPM that helps out a lot.
A lot of attacking play, assist wise and long shot wise also come from the attacking CM. Think about how instrumental Lampard was both assist wise and scoring wise.

Also make sure you're selecting "Retain Possession" when up against the top teams. It'll help you a lot. Except against Arsenal where they pace abuse down the wings and cross to Giroud who is basically the hulk. So don't be afraid to tinker with OI as well.

That is very true.
My results suffered significantly when Diego Costa got injured and I was playing Batshuayi who couldn't hit a barn door. I think it is his "Moves in to channels" PPM that helps out a lot.
A lot of attacking play, assist wise and long shot wise also come from the attacking CM. Think about how instrumental Lampard was both assist wise and scoring wise.

Also make sure you're selecting "Retain Possession" when up against the top teams. It'll help you a lot. Except against Arsenal where they pace abuse down the wings and cross to Giroud who is basically the hulk. So don't be afraid to tinker with OI as well.

Been using retain possession to see out matches when I'm leading. Why is it good vs top teams?

Been using retain possession to see out matches when I'm leading. Why is it good vs top teams?

Due to the lack of pressing (and thus relying more on opposition error to counter attack from than a gegenpressing style), I find Retain Possession just simply ensures we are more careful when we do have the ball against better opposition and rush things less. You will still play on the break, but you just play less long balls mainly which don't work as well against top team opposition center halves.
The aim is to limit the opponents opportunities by keeping the ball more and believing that by trying to limit their chances by increasing your own ball retention, that the few counter attacking opportunities you get yourself will therefore be enough to win the game.

Due to the lack of pressing (and thus relying more on opposition error to counter attack from than a gegenpressing style), I find Retain Possession just simply ensures we are more careful when we do have the ball against better opposition and rush things less. You will still play on the break, but you just play less long balls mainly which don't work as well against top team opposition center halves.
The aim is to limit the opponents opportunities by keeping the ball more and believing that by trying to limit their chances by increasing your own ball retention, that the few counter attacking opportunities you get yourself will therefore be enough to win the game.

Fair enough, we'll see how it goes against Chelsea now. What kind of fullbacks do you prefer? Do they need decent attacking stats or do you look mainly for defensive ones?

EDIT: Won 1-0 against Chelsea away, kept the ball abit better than I normally do as well.

Last edited:
Fair enough, we'll see how it goes against Chelsea now. What kind of fullbacks do you prefer? Do they need decent attacking stats or do you look mainly for defensive ones?

Pace, Crossing, Tackling, Marking are the main stats I look for.
I would prioritise defensive attributes however due to the nature of what the tactic is trying to achieve (clean sheets).

What PPMs are good for the wingers and the striker btw?

Had a reaaally difficult run of games where I thought for sure I'd be dropping points. But ended up winning all of them after turning on retain possession. 3-1 vs Chelsea over two legs in the EFL cup, 2-1 vs Man Utd, 4-3 vs City and 2-1 vs Liverpool in the league. That little tweak of yours has done wonders it seems.

Last edited:
What PPMs are good for the wingers and the striker btw?

I wouldn't look too much in to PPMs tbh. I don't bother with them.

Had a reaaally difficult run of games where I thought for sure I'd be dropping points. But ended up winning all of them with the retain possession tweak. 3-1 vs Chelsea over two legs in the EFL cup, 2-1 vs Man Utd, 4-3 vs City and 2-1 vs Liverpool in the league. That little tweak of yours has done wonders it seems.

Awesome!
Challenging for the title this season then?

I wouldn't look too much in to PPMs tbh. I don't bother with them.

Awesome!
Challenging for the title this season then?

United are leading with 60 points after 25 games played. Both me and City are on 50 points, with me being 2nd on GD. United have 20 wins, 0 draws and 5 losses, whilst both me and City have 15 wins, 5 draws and 5 losses. Dunno why United never draw. They've won a ton of games 1-0 :(

Last edited:
Hi Kyanite ,

first of all i like your tactic.

In the OP you emphasized that is a counter-attacking tactic . Just because you play higher tempo ,pass into space and more direct passing that don't make a counter -attack .Your mentality is Standard ,you play fast when you get the ball.

Are you planning to make a 4-4-2 tactic ?

I'm struggling to score, bout 1 goal per game. Conceding lots through opponent countering my attack

Hi Kyanite ,

first of all i like your tactic.

In the OP you emphasized that is a counter-attacking tactic . Just because you play higher tempo ,pass into space and more direct passing that don't make a counter -attack .Your mentality is Standard ,you play fast when you get the ball.

Are you planning to make a 4-4-2 tactic ?

How would you define a counter-attacking tactic then?
If your idea of a counter-attacking tactic must be a tactic with only a "Counter" mentality then you clearly do not understand how the FM match engine works nor what the mentality setting does to the hidden player sliders behind the instructions or its purpose.

That's like saying you can only possibly have a possession orientated tactic if you use the "Control" mentality.
Do you think Mourinho's Madrid who played some of the best Counter-Attacking football of the century went in to each match with a "Counter" based mentality? No, they would often dominate possession because of their play style on the ball but they could also simultaneously hit opponents on the counter due to how they were set up.

The team instructions contribute towards promoting direct, fast, counter-attacking play and irregardless of the mentality, it the style of football that I got on show with both Chelsea & Blackburn is deep, structured, defensive play with a lot of opportunities made by looking to counter attack the opposition.

Simultaneously player instructions are also tweaked to instruct play where counter-attacking is not a possibility due to opposition positioning.

As for a 4-4-2 tactic, it might be something I will look in to. Perhaps a recreation of an Alex Ferguson style 4-4-2, we'll have to wait and see.

I'm struggling to score, bout 1 goal per game. Conceding lots through opponent countering my attack

That's unfortunate but can't really help you much unless you give more information about your team, players, the scenarios in how you are getting counter-attacked. If you are a significantly low level team, you might require micromanagement on your own behalf rather than expect everything to be plug & play as I stated in the OP. All I have provided is a solid, proven, base for you to build and mold upon.

It's also worth mentioning that you need a certain style of players to play with this approach. If your wingers have poor dribbling for example, then they will get caught out when cutting inside and due to the advanced full back you will be easily counter-attacked. Like I said, you are the manager and I suggest you actually try to micromanage at least or give me more info as I did claim in the OP this approach isn't guaranteed to work for all sides and levels.

Kyanite, have you tried Bulletproof? With octane or without?

Latest patch has significantly hindered how this tactic performs (despite SI claiming absolutely no ME changes were made).
May still get the job done with Chelsea and other stronger teams, but is doing poorly with lower league teams now e.g. Blackburn.

Latest patch has significantly hindered how this tactic performs (despite SI claiming absolutely no ME changes were made).
May still get the job done with Chelsea and other stronger teams, but is doing poorly with lower league teams now e.g. Blackburn.

What's changed to make it less effective?