England Thread

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 363K
Happy for Italy to win it. As a neutral, Southgate lost me after his insane WWII references. Also wtf was he thinking allowing a 19 y/old kid to take the 5th penalty?!

Credit to Mancini for doing a bang-up job. Completely reversed the fortunes of the Azzuri.

Now that's over can we please get back to the real world. How long is it until a new season starts?

Kane didn’t touch the ball once in the opponents box that whole 120 mins. And not 1 shot either. How did 2 of the hottest talents in world football that totalled nearly 70 gls and assists between them last season not see hardly any mins the whole tournament. And scared to make positives subs early Southgate must be the worst.

Some of his decisions have well and truly baffled me.

It's never a bad idea to try to Mourinho the big final. Italy run the game but were toothless and created nearly nothing apart from the freak goal, while you should expect England's wealth of pace and attacking talent to do a lot on the break. I thought Southgate did well , England never looked like winning but never looked like losing either.

But with the penalties he brings on two experienced takers and they both miss and no one steps up apart from a 19-year old? That's not on manager.

It's never a bad idea to try to Mourinho the big final. Italy run the game but were toothless and created nearly nothing apart from the freak goal, while you should expect England's wealth of pace and attacking talent to do a lot on the break. I thought Southgate did well , England never looked like winning but never looked like losing either.

But with the penalties he brings on two experienced takers and they both miss and no one steps up apart from a 19-year old? That's not on manager.
It’s on the manager mate. In game tactics shocking, subs shocking, and he admitted himself he chose the penalty takers. He’s just to risk adverse. We was well on top in the first half but a lot of our attacks fell down when Mount got the ball.

At ht Mancini changed things and Italy started dominating. What did Southgate do absolutely nothing till it was to late and when he did he made the wrong subs.

Southgate don’t some things right don’t get me wrong but made a lot of mistakes also. Fancy having all that attacking quality on the benchbut start pans finish the match after 120mins with 5 at the back and 2 holding CMs.

@Theatre of Dreams83

I mean it's just like dhilak said, the thing with pragmatic football is if you win you're a tactical genius, but if you lose you're a coward and a donkey. Whereas the difference is fine margins and one penalty. I think the gameplan itself was sound, although the subs could have been better yeah.

And of course Southgate says he chose the takers, after his experience in the 96' shootout he's going to protect his players. But there's no way a 19-year old who never took a pen in a competetive game was first on his list.

England. In a nutshell-

This tournament has exposed that game-by-game at ALL levels of society.

And they wonder why we don't do England? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
FWIW, my overriding take from the Euros and why England, yet again, gave every reason to swerve them when it comes to football-

I was SO happy Italy won last night and saved us from everything that is wrong with this Country from winning out.

The disgusting, racial abuse directed at Rashford, Saka and Sancho overnight just rounds off a tournament where this nations underlying ills have been on FULL display to the World every game. From a Home Secretary who openly condoned and encouraged the fascists right to boo young men taking a stand against prejudice and racial equality. Through a sizeable group of Tory MP's trying to get people to not watch any England games down to the taking of the knee. All manifested in the stadium before every England game with the booing of their own players before a ball was even kicked. And folk want to be associated with that ..... Really?!!!!!

The vast majority of the stadium continuing to wholeheartedly boo the National anthem of every opposition Nation they face. (Whilst then belting out one about a deity that may or may not exist, saving a Head of State who presides over a racially intolerant, xenophobic Establishment. 🤦🏼‍♂️). Stellar respect for our European neighbours right there.

Roundly cheering and mocking a young German girl, a little CHILD, who was caught on screen in tears.

And the seriously worrying stats about how domestic abuse goes up massively when England plays a game of football. Let alone what those figures are when they fail to draw or win .....

Euro 2020 was a really enjoyable, exciting tournament on the pitch. If poorly coached with some abysmal defending. mistakes. But that all lead to some really exciting games and upsets you wouldn't normally get. But for all the media spin of it ''bringing the Nation together' it's shone a glaring light on not just the level of overt racism in English society. But the National resistance to it. FULL credit to Southgate and his players for continuing to stand up to, or in this case kneel down to, all the racists and fascists out there who wear the flag as some F up symbolic symbol of their seriously F up sense of patriotism and national identity that precludes ANYONE, not English.

The last Saturday game England played (the Ukraine?), was the only time I've really noticed any English support here down to the usual out-of-town crowd coming to L'pool for the weekend to party. With chants of not only 'Ing-er-lund' across town, but songs about the IRA and German bombers ..... When they weren't even playing Ireland or Germany to start with! And then they wonder why the rest of Europe hates them?

And people genuinely wonder why you don't want to be associated with that and don't do England? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Now we can get back to proper football and being called 'murderers/ self-pitying 'et al all over the country from the very same fans who not only wanted us to forget all that for 4 weeks but who, yesterday, stormed the gates and broke into the ground. The very thing they've spent the last 30+ years accusing myself and every other survivor/ victim of doing. Irony and the English aye ..... ?

Grazie Azzurri. You saved the Country from itself.

Last edited:
Mourinho with a bit of sense for a change.

Jose Mourinho: “In reality it’s very, very hard for Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho to come and take a penalty after one touch on the ball each. But for Saka to have the destiny of a country on his shoulders… I think it’s too much.”

Mourinho with a bit of sense for a change.

Jose Mourinho: “In reality it’s very, very hard for Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho to come and take a penalty after one touch on the ball each. But for Saka to have the destiny of a country on his shoulders… I think it’s too much.”

Utter madness that you'd not go with experience on such a stage.

Ah yes, thank God those unruly English racists were beaten by the classy sophisticated Italians. They will now take the trophy to Rome where Lazio fans can do Hitler salutes during celebrations while throwing bananas at black players and occasionaly stabbing a Roma fan.

🤦‍♂️

Ah yes, thank God those unruly English racists were beaten by the classy sophisticated Italians. They will now take the trophy to Rome where Lazio fans can do Hitler salutes during celebrations while throwing bananas at black players and occasionaly stabbing a Roma fan.

🤦‍♂️

I wasn’t aware that this had been a National team problem with the Azzuri this tournament, but am I Italian? That’s Italy’s disgraceful problem. Fascist racism is unacceptable regardless of the Country. But I happen to live in this God forsaken Country and as such I’m concerned with issues here ta.

Comparing the two doesn’t justify the despicable disgrace and is a ridiculous take .

Last edited: