Jamierisdale

Reaction score
Hello guys

I have only just registered with FMBase but have been reading, downloading, admiring for years now (I have no idea why I never joined or posted previously)

I've been an addict of every incarnation of FM/CM since the early days and would class my self as an advanced player but I don't do anything special.

I'm just about to finish my first season on FM14 - with Newcastle United, using a pretty standard 4-5-1 formation with inside forwards, and have bought just 1 player (Ibai Gomez from Bilbao for $3M) yet I am about to win the league by at least 7 points from Chelsea.

I've never played a "beta" version before and I understand there will be changes/bug fixes before the full release... however i'm concerned this game seems easier than previous versions? I always struggled a bit with the sliders so am worried that the slider less system will change the game?

I love the game over all - think it looks really slick and the match engine / graphics are great.

Would love to hear any thoughts or comments on how you are all finding it so far!

Thanks

So far i have to agree with you but i am Newcastle as well playing a 4-1-4-1 and am now sitting top of the league. I got put out of the capital one cup early and am currently still in the FA cup (5th round) My signings were Honda, Gaitan (loan), Tomas Necid and a few youngsters.

Maybe Newcastle are just beast but this seems to be the best i have ever done with Newcastle first season.

I will be playing a Stade Rennais FC game probably before the release and i think that will be alot more challenging than Newcastle. Though Newcastle are predicted to finish 16th at the start of the game so i hope it is anyway :D

I am in the same boat as Robbie. I am playing my first season as always with my beloved Newcastle and the game certainly seems easier this year compared to last year. Either that or I am getting my tactics spot on with my 4-2-3-1 formation. :) I think time will tell when I do my usual thing of getting several other saves on the go and see what outcomes occur from them.

So far I've only played an A-League save, but difficulty seems spot on to me. I found FM12 a little too easy, and FM13 maybe a tad too hard, so the balance is perfect for me. Although A-League is a pretty hard, and very competitive league (salary caps means there are no real "powerhouse" clubs). I will try my usual games with Chelsea and Hull and see how I feel after that.

Interesting...

Perhaps newcastle are a of a monster on the game. To be honest on paper they do have a great first team. Hoping they are overrated rather than the game being easier - as much as it frustrated me how tough the last game was there was a real sense of achievement when you got it right.

I dunno whats happening with people/SI!!! Its either (complaints about the game being) too easy or too difficult!

I think they must have made Newcastle too good, rather than the game being easier, on my game Newcastle are 3rd and looking strong (im not managing them).

Managing FC Porto, it seems indeed too easy, 65-70% or more possession, even in Champions League.

I think they must have made Newcastle too good, rather than the game being easier, on my game Newcastle are 3rd and looking strong (im not managing them).

Newcastle are that good in real life.... We just happened to be managed by an imbecile :D

Though in all seriousness the only player I consider over rated considerably is Davide Santon. I think a few of our players have been underrated. Not complaining obviously SI can scout better than I can and have a nice system in place. I just don't think player for player the players are overrated.

I'd agree, that if you can keep your first eleven pretty healthy and try and add a bit of depth, Newcastle are quite a good side and easily capable of being contenders in the game as it stands.

Lession One of FM14 - Play as Newcastle in a 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 for easy success.

I thought this when i was third with southampton until december...then i lost every game for 2 months and took a LONG time to steer them back around

After 17 keague games I am joint top on 41pts which is a surprise. Signed Honda, Hughes, Bennett and Tielemens. Only drawn once in the league thus far.

Playing 4-2-3-1

Krul
Santon - Yanga-Mbiwa - Coloccini - Santon
Cabaye - Honda
Gouffran - Sissoko - Ben Arfa
Cisse

All I can say is that Gouffran is a beast on the LW - 21 games and 15 goals while Sissoko has 8 in 15 and Santon has even got 4 including a hat-trick against Man City.

Adam Campbell also seems to be a beast and pops up with a goal when called upon.

Anywho back on topic - as a Newcastle fanatic I have to say we arent over-rated in the game. If you take each player individually - especially the starting XI - we have a team that should be challenging for Europe at least.........

Krul - Dutch first choice keeper
Debuchy - French first choice
Y-Mbiwa - French international
Colo - Argy international
Santon - Italy international
Cabaye - French first choice
Tiote - IVC first choice
Sissoko - French first choice
Ben Arfa - French international (and best dribbler in the Premiership)
Remy - French international
Cisse - Hmmmm lol

My point I suppose is this - individually in real life they are great players but as a team they are not clicking while in the magical world that is FM it is easier to get them to play as a team and as one unit

I'd say the engine glitches make for unrealistic gameplay at the moment. I'd say that the The release will see the defending issued fixed, and then whatever tactic you use will need to be tweaked, as your exploits may be no longer open. The current build has tactics either being really effective, or disastrous for some. It does seem to be random. I've tried a Conference Histon save, which went well. A Stalybridge Celtic save was a disaster with the same tactic. A Valencia save which was going well, but a couple of defeats saw a tailspin which saw me fired after nine consecutive losses. Morale seems to be too important, and easily lost. Not one game saw a typical mid-table season as you'd expect with a team that is considered to be less than competitive. For instance, a Hearts save, where they have a 15 point deduction for being in administration, saw me win eighteen of the first twenty five league games. The teams is made up of okay youngsters, with one or two potential stars, and three older journeymen. I tried a new save with Hearts again, and this time it was a misery and I was fired after ten league games where I didn't rack up a single win. I used the same formation on both games. Morale seems, like FM13, to be overly dominant.

After 17 keague games I am joint top on 41pts which is a surprise. Signed Honda, Hughes, Bennett and Tielemens. Only drawn once in the league thus far.

Playing 4-2-3-1

Krul
Santon - Yanga-Mbiwa - Coloccini - Santon
Cabaye - Honda
Gouffran - Sissoko - Ben Arfa
Cisse

All I can say is that Gouffran is a beast on the LW - 21 games and 15 goals while Sissoko has 8 in 15 and Santon has even got 4 including a hat-trick against Man City.

Adam Campbell also seems to be a beast and pops up with a goal when called upon.

Anywho back on topic - as a Newcastle fanatic I have to say we arent over-rated in the game. If you take each player individually - especially the starting XI - we have a team that should be challenging for Europe at least.........

Krul - Dutch first choice keeper
Debuchy - French first choice
Y-Mbiwa - French international
Colo - Argy international
Santon - Italy international
Cabaye - French first choice
Tiote - IVC first choice
Sissoko - French first choice
Ben Arfa - French international (and best dribbler in the Premiership)
Remy - French international
Cisse - Hmmmm lol

My point I suppose is this - individually in real life they are great players but as a team they are not clicking while in the magical world that is FM it is easier to get them to play as a team and as one unit

very true mate, Newcastle have a superb first team the only weak link to our beloved club is Pardew, i haven't got the better BETA version yet but what's the transfer budget for Newcastle in the first season?

very true mate, Newcastle have a superb first team the only weak link to our beloved club is Pardew, i haven't got the better BETA version yet but what's the transfer budget for Newcastle in the first season?

I dont actually mind Pardew truth be told. I have supported Newcastle since 1989 and he is probably the 3rd best manager we have had in that time.

Mike Ashley has done some terrible things at the club but we are not in any trouble financially so he is doing his job I suppose - its Kinnear that needs to go (along with Obertan, Gosling, Williamson)!!!! Having said that it was rather perplexing seeing the likes of Cardiff, Southampton and Norwich spend over ?20m while we spent ?2m on a loan deal......

Anywho Newcastle get ?8m at the start.

?8 million. Not to much but players seem to be a little cheaper than last years game and as you can see from this thread Newcastle already have a beast team which just needs depth.

?8 million. Not to much but players seem to be a little cheaper than last years game and as you can see from this thread Newcastle already have a beast team which just needs depth.

Yeah. I paid ?1.6m for Honda, ?5m for Hughes and ?1.5m for Tielemens.

Sold Obertan for ?4m, Gutierrez for ?3.4m and another ?2m for the likes of Gosling, Shola Ameobi, Dummett and Tavernier

Yeah. I paid ?1.6m for Honda, ?5m for Hughes and ?1.5m for Tielemens.

Sold Obertan for ?4m, Gutierrez for ?3.4m and another ?2m for the likes of Gosling, Shola Ameobi, Dummett and Tavernier

How has Honda been for you he has been pretty good for me but not amazing he boost's my merchandising though which easily covered the 1.5 million I paid for him. He has more shirt sales than Cabaye for me :D I got Tomas Necid for 700k he finished my top goal scorer in the first season and I sold him for 7 million and got Morata from Madrid.