Forlan wins Golden Ball

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
JOHANNESBURG - Uruguay's Diego Forlan won the best player of the tournament award on Sunday after lighting up the World Cup with some wonderful goals that helped his team become South America's only semi-finalist.

The blond-locked striker won legions of admirers - not least among South African women - for his fantastic play on the pitch and courteous attitude off it where he always made time to sign autographs and chat with fans or journalists.

GEAR: Get a Uruguay shirt

Forlan took 23.4 percent in the "Golden Ball" poll organised by world football body FIFA and voted for by journalists. Dutch playmaker Wesley Sneijder was second with 21.8 percent and Spain's David Villa third on 16.9 percent.

All three got five goals, making them joint top scorers along with Germany's Thomas Muller.

Muller took the "Golden Boot" award given to the top scorer, using assists and number of minutes played as a tie-breaker, FIFA said in a statement.

The German was also named Best Young Player.

As well as winning the World Cup, Spain also took the FIFA Fair Play Award. Their captain Iker Casillas won the "Golden Glove" prize for best goalkeeper.

Forlan's award will cheer Uruguayans after their side lost agonisingly to Germany 3-2 in the third place play-off.

Forlan struck the bar with a typically spectacular free-kick in the last touch of the match.

http://tinyurl.com/38hcv5m

Well deserved. Who would have thought that Forlan will become best player of the biggest tournament when he left United for just 1M. Hats off Forlan. Model professional and you are getting all the applauds you deserved from past 3-4 seasons.

You will be always remembered for this.
0.jpg

Last edited:
absolutely deserves it, sensational tournement.

Last edited:
I think it was a hard decision to make this year but I would go for Thomas Muller

Forlan was a big mistake to let go, pity Ruud was in top form during his two seasons there, would have become a legend for us... :S

most definately the most influential player and best player all around in the World Cup, most deserved winner by a mile, also he was the only player capable of kicking the jabulani ball perfectly everytime, he mastered it :wub: well done Diego!

Yepp he impressed alot at the World Cup. I wonder if SAF would try bring him back to United once more.
Anyways the guy deserves the award more than anyone else since he carried his country almost single handedly to reach the semi finals.

The spaniards are furious about Forlan and Mueller awards, they think Xavi and Villa should have won it....LOL

I'm glad he won this, his performance was too good for him to leave Africa with empty hands

I was annoyed with the BBC Panel with their reaction about it. Alan Hansen especially. Instead of saying well done Forlan they stated we would never of voted for him. He has just been given the best player award. Praise him he deserves it.

He deserved it. He's been sensational throughout and a great inspirational to the Uruguayan squad.

No doubt who deserved it more. I'm glad that for the first time voting was done on performance rather than Names.

I was annoyed with the BBC Panel with their reaction about it. Alan Hansen especially. Instead of saying well done Forlan they stated we would never of voted for him. He has just been given the best player award. Praise him he deserves it.
that really ******* angered me, such a lack of respect

hansen is a total waste ov space, such a ******* useless *****. both awards were totaly deserved simple as that.
hes a bandwagon jumping ****. i remember him and shearer on motd banging on about their zonal marking bullshit at liverpool, criticising benitez for using it...didnt even realise that united, chelsea and inter, 3 of the meanest defences this season, all used zonal marking. what a fool

well done diego!!

Great player.

Amazing long range goals.

Deserved. :)

Well deserved. He was just amazing this tournament.

He was the only player (that I noticed) who consistently created moments of magic, deserved winner