Discussion Thread

Here is a place where we can talk about all things F1,
be it current affairs/hot topics/race results
or classic drivers/races/teams...

Anything goes,
lets talk Formula One

enjoy
Trivaldo(H)

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

ok, lets kick things off...

today, if you got up early like i did then you will have seen the weather in Japan. The rain was so heavy that Qualifying got cancelled.

The last time Qualifying for an F1 GP was cancelled was at the same track in 2004 - instead of qualifying on the saturday they qualified on the sunday morning before the race.

The same will happen here, qualifying a couple of hours before the race (weather permitting of course)

Do you think they made the right decision? what would you do if you were the guy in charge of sorting out qualifying?

I think the made a reasonable decision, but if I was the man in charge, I would follow the position of the players in the last game.

Bad English :p

i heard about this, always risky to have a race in Japan this time in the year

i heard about this, always risky to have a race in Japan this time in the year

Beacause of rain? this may well be true but the Japanese GP has always been held towards the end of the season and over the years and i think it has been dry more oftewn than not.

Other options for qualifying that were being mentioned were, if qualifying were to start but was stopped before anybody posted a timed lap then the grid would be decided by the order the cars went out onto the track - id it rains tomorrow morning then this could well happen so we could see an almighty scrabble for cars getting the best position out of the pitlane when the session starts. Also if there was no session at all then the cars would line up number order (1 at the front and 25 last etc) this would suit me fine being a McLaren supporter :p

How about Lewis Hamiltons 5 place Penalty for qualifying, this could **** up his title chances, becuase i cant see him starting any higher then 8th now, as the Red Bulls will be quick, he probaly wont be quicker then Alonso, might pip him. so 8th is the best he could get.

what is the 5 place penalty for?

EDIT: just seen, gearbox change - he needs to hope for dy qualifying and get it as far forward as he canm hopefully top ten still after 5place pen and then hope some rain comes for the race cos the McLaren is the best car in the wet. Doesn't look good for him now :(

Last edited:
It would probaly help Hamilton if it is wet for tomorrows morning Qualy session because in the dry they dont have the pace to be quicker than the 2 Red Bulls and Alonso, whereas in the wet the car is always very strong. For anyone who wants to watch the session BBC start coverage at 1:50am but there is a track inspection at 9:30am japan time because its still raining and isnt due to stop until around the time of the qualy session tomorrow.

What is everybody's favorite race/memory of Japanese GPs?

For me, Prost/Senna 89-90 aside, its Hakkinen winning in 98 to secure his first title after scumacher stalled/got a puncture... or Kimi's last lap win in 2005 after being 20 seconds behind with about 15 laps to go

Last edited:
Yeah 98 was a belter, Schumacher stalling and getting a puncture, was so happy Hakkinen won the title, we could do with more go hard or go home drivers like him around. Gotta love the 1976 race just because Hunt won the title, 1996 aswell with Hill winning the title after Villeneuve's wheel fell off.

Hope it rains for tomorrow's race, always livens things up, not too bothered who wins so long as there is lots of drama.

Yeah 98 was a belter, Schumacher stalling and getting a puncture, was so happy Hakkinen won the title, we could do with more go hard or go home drivers like him around. Gotta love the 1976 race just because Hunt won the title, 1996 aswell with Hill winning the title after Villeneuve's wheel fell off.

Hope it rains for tomorrow's race, always livens things up, not too bothered who wins so long as there is lots of drama.

agreed - it would be good if Kubica or Rosberg could spring a surprise. Anyone but Alonso will do me

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

If it stays wet throughout it might be worth having a cheeky punt on Alguersuari...
He's really the only guy to get a feel for the wet track in third practise and Torro Rosso have got nothing to lose by setting his car up for wet conditions... The title contenders will only set up there cars for dry due to the loss of speed performance of wet setup car in dry conditions

If it stays wet throughout it might be worth having a cheeky punt on Alguersuari...
He's really the only guy to get a feel for the wet track in third practise and Torro Rosso have got nothing to lose by setting his car up for wet conditions... The title contenders will only set up there cars for dry due to the loss of speed performance of wet setup car in dry conditions

he was out there for the whole session, but he's too young and inexperienced to lead a grand prix unfortunately :S

he has more races under his belt than Vettel did at Monza 2008 and he got his Formula One debut at a younger age than Vettel....

Hey Trivaldo, I am back, been off for a while. I guess the F1 quiz is over so no chance to get some more points, uh?

Anyway back to your questions, it seems nowadays the F1 council is more concerned about safety, so I guess postponing the qualifying was quite reasonable. It will be challenging for the teams to tune up their cars with such a short time between Q and the race itself. If I would be the official taking the decision, and for the good of the sport, I would postponed till monday, until conditions get better.

Now as an F1 fan, there are many issues that arise concern. For example, what if weather conditions dont get better? Will the race be postponed till monday? What I certainly dont want to see, is a race of 10 laps, to be later called off by some stupid officials. If tomorrow rains, and probably will, and the race goes on the whole nine yards, it will be quite an interesting one. One mistake and you are out. I guess, the driver/team with the fewer mistakes will win.

Hey Trivaldo, I am back, been off for a while. I guess the F1 quiz is over so no chance to get some more points, uh?

Anyway back to your questions, it seems nowadays the F1 council is more concerned about safety, so I guess postponing the qualifying was quite reasonable. It will be challenging for the teams to tune up their cars with such a short time between Q and the race itself. If I would be the official taking the decision, and for the good of the sport, I would postponed till monday, until conditions get better.

Now as an F1 fan, there are many issues that arise concern. For example, what if weather conditions dont get better? Will the race be postponed till monday? What I certainly dont want to see, is a race of 10 laps, to be later called off by some stupid officials. If tomorrow rains, and probably will, and the race goes on the whole nine yards, it will be quite an interesting one. One mistake and you are out. I guess, the driver/team with the fewer mistakes will win.

yeah i would love to see tham just go for it and forget about safety - the cars are safe enough these days, eg Webber walked away from his accident in valencia...

The biggest problem is the parc ferme rules between qualy and the race - meaning most front teams wont dare set there car up for wet conditions cos it may or may not end up dry and there cars would be comprimised in the dry... Also, whatever happened to the Monsoon tyres of a few seasons ago?? If they cant race due to the Monsoon tyres not being available then isn't this a bigger issue than Michellin at Indy 05, cos this time the tyre manufacturer/rules will have worked against the good of the sport and prevented a race - this time all the runners would be affected

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

And, Wunzigan - i haven't done the quiz for a while but only because the site has been quiet last few weeks, when it picks up i will do the quiz again :)

oh, and feel free to throw me some questions via PM, you're questions are tough which i like :)

yeah i would love to see tham just go for it and forget about safety - the cars are safe enough these days, eg Webber walked away from his accident in valencia...

The biggest problem is the parc ferme rules between qualy and the race - meaning most front teams wont dare set there car up for wet conditions cos it may or may not end up dry and there cars would be comprimised in the dry... Also, whatever happened to the Monsoon tyres of a few seasons ago?? If they cant race due to the Monsoon tyres not being available then isn't this a bigger issue than Michellin at Indy 05, cos this time the tyre manufacturer/rules will have worked against the good of the sport and prevented a race - this time all the runners would be affected

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

And, Wunzigan - i haven't done the quiz for a while but only because the site has been quiet last few weeks, when it picks up i will do the quiz again :)

oh, and feel free to throw me some questions via PM, you're questions are tough which i like :)

Alrighty, you can count on that

I would love to see the race regardless of weather conditions, if it is really monsooning then the cars won't build up enough speed to cause injury anyway, it will just be funny to see everyone spinning around like Malaysia last year.

Anyone remember Brazil a few years back (2003) when a river formed across the 3rd corner, so many drivers (including Schumi at his best) spun off it was hilarious, then Alonso had to ruin all the fun by smashing into a crashed car.

The wet races to tend to be the best ones, try checking out these races if you can find them on youtube (doubtless Triv and Wunzigan remember them well :p)

Spa 1998 (Biggest crash in F1 history)
Nurburgring 1999 (Herbert in a Stewart wins, Minardi score points)
Brazil 2003 (World's most expensive car park/river in the track)

Guys see if you can think of any more classic wet-weather races!

hey guys what do you think about bernie ecklestone trying to bring in medals instead of points

I would love to see the race regardless of weather conditions, if it is really monsooning then the cars won't build up enough speed to cause injury anyway, it will just be funny to see everyone spinning around like Malaysia last year.

Anyone remember Brazil a few years back (2003) when a river formed across the 3rd corner, so many drivers (including Schumi at his best) spun off it was hilarious, then Alonso had to ruin all the fun by smashing into a crashed car.

The wet races to tend to be the best ones, try checking out these races if you can find them on youtube (doubtless Triv and Wunzigan remember them well :p)

Spot on

Monaco 84
Portugal 85
Canada 89
Australia 89
Australia 91
Brazil 93
Japan 94

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

hey guys what do you think about bernie ecklestone trying to bring in medals instead of points

that wont happen now, they changed the points to 25 for a win etc for this season instead going down the medals road

Last edited: