anatoranato

Reaction score
Good Day FM16 brothers, recently I started a Stoke City saves with the plan of:

1st Season: Finish in the 9 -12th PL placing
2nd Season: Finish in the 6-8th PL placing & hopefully remove a few deadwood in the squad
3rd Season: Get into the Europa League
4th Season: To be able to challenge for the PL
5th Season: To be able to at least qualify from CL group stage
6th Season: Bringing to glorious CL trophy to Britannia Stadium for the very first time.

I also planed to sign only youngster below the age of 21 with potential in my career rather than a finished product. The sense of achievement will be greater when you can win everything with kids.

However, problem starts to arise will using this self-invented tactics:

View attachment 978818

View attachment 978819

I had been playing with this tactics for the past 3 Premier Division games and had been not only poor upfront but also leaking goals at the back. I do not know where the problem lies as I'm a tactical idiot.

Lukaku managed to score 4 goals in just 33 mins in my first PL games. Also in this game, Balanta did a slow back pass to my keeper without any threat. To my horror, Butland just stood beside the post watching the ball roll in. If this were to continues, I am getting sacked in the morning :mad:

I'm had the intention to play a tiki-taka style, slow build up yet commanding possession and able to threaten up front without leaking too much at the back.

This might be too much for a help here, sorry if I'm requesting for the impossible. But any help will be much appreciated. ^^)

LATEST UPDATE 13/11/2015:

If you guys follows the thread I rage quit somewhere in my save above. This is what I did after taking advice from WJ by putting in effort watching the match & learn where I did wrongly.

FYI, I did not do the save and restart thing to achieve this result at all.

View attachment 213279View attachment 213278View attachment 213277

My idea behind this tactic for the team is to at least able to play the Tiki-Taka of Mark Hughes. Playing possession based football.

As for their role/duties, my Wingers/AP are all in support as I did not have the sense of urgency to get the ball into the final-third. Also I'm playing in a Counter Mentality & Structured team shape.

The two AP are not the final, I'm still looking for the best duties for my MC(AP/s). DLP/D will also help to cover the ground in between my Midfield and Defence.

Hope you guys will be able to help improve my current tactics ^^)

Last edited:
Your cam should be looking to drop deep with that massive gap in the middle of the field. Your two DM's also wont look to come back that much with none on defend duties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your cam should be looking to drop deep with that massive gap in the middle of the field. Your two DM's also wont look to come back that much with none on defend duties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about the mistake. The first picture was wrongly uploaded, I made the changes in game. My tactics should be in the default 4-2-3-1 Wide positions.

So you have a 4-2-3-1, with 2 CMs? 1 is a BWM/S and the other an AP/S? That's your first issue. Absolutely no one to screen the defence ; just holding position in front of them. You need at least one player to do that.

The 2nd issue, you seem to want to stand off and stay on feet. A BWM will do the exact opposite.

So you have a 4-2-3-1, with 2 CMs? 1 is a BWM/S and the other an AP/S? That's your first issue. Absolutely no one to screen the defence ; just holding position in front of them. You need at least one player to do that.

The 2nd issue, you seem to want to stand off and stay on feet. A BWM will do the exact opposite.

So for the first issue, what you meant was changing BWM/S to BWM/D to help out with the defence?

For the second issue, do i untick both options and let the players do their job? Or do I change it to get struck in?

Sorry for being a tactical idiot here......

Is that an AP(s) in the DM strata?

I had no idea that was possible!

Is that an AP(s) in the DM strata?

I had no idea that was possible!

Yup, that was a screenshot in game. I played the default 4-2-3-1 Wide. Please ignore the first image the correct one should roughly be like this below....

View attachment 213618

I also did some tweak to the instructions.

View attachment 213617

May someone guide me on the errors I made?

PS. Please do not condemn me, I raged quit my save yesterday as I went on to lose the next 2 PL games 3-2 to Bournemouth & 4-1 to West Ham.

So for the first issue, what you meant was changing BWM/S to BWM/D to help out with the defence?

For the second issue, do i untick both options and let the players do their job? Or do I change it to get struck in?

Sorry for being a tactical idiot here......
For the first issue, read my post in its entirety. I have explained what you need.

Edit: sorry, had the thread open for a while and didn't refresh before posting this.

Last edited:
For the first issue, read my post in its entirety. I have explained what you need.

Bro hopefully I got what you are trying to tell me correctly with the newly updated position in Whelan :)

Yup, that was a screenshot in game. I played the default 4-2-3-1 Wide. Please ignore the first image the correct one should roughly be like this below....

View attachment 979439

I also did some tweak to the instructions.

View attachment 979441

May someone guide me on the errors I made?

PS. Please do not condemn me, I raged quit my save yesterday as I went on to lose the next 2 PL games 3-2 to Bournemouth & 4-1 to West Ham.
We need information. Read the sticky thread.

What are your issues?

What's the idea behind the tactic? Why those roles and duties? Why those team instructions? Who's going to be the main goal scorer here? If he has an off day or marked out of the game, who else can get into positions to score? Who will be providing these scorers? How?

If we don't know what you want, we can't really advise you on much. Otherwise it becomes you playing according to our vision, which is a bit pointless.

We need information. Read the sticky thread.

What are your issues?

What's the idea behind the tactic? Why those roles and duties? Why those team instructions? Who's going to be the main goal scorer here? If he has an off day or marked out of the game, who else can get into positions to score? Who will be providing these scorers? How?

If we don't know what you want, we can't really advise you on much. Otherwise it becomes you playing according to our vision, which is a bit pointless.

Bro for the issues, I'm having problems with the current tactics. Its leaking too much goals at the back and offers minimal threats up front in each games and it not one off. I do not understand where I did wrongly here.

My idea behind this tactic for the team is to at least able to play the cheap version Tiki-Taka of Mark Hughes. As for their role/duties I put them in according to their best position.

I need help to allow me to know what i did wrongly for the tactics/instructions.

*Playing possession based football
*Able provide more threats up front
*Able to prevent leaking in to much goals

These will be the vision I want my team to be playing.

My main team will be:
View attachment 979472

With these as back-up:
View attachment 979474

I will like the main assist to come from the winger like Allefay and Shaqiri. Cutting into the middle and providing assist. Next with Bojan & Diouf contributing to the goals.

I will need my midfielders to be able to provide attacking/defending support in each phrase of play.

I think this is the best I'm able to present the idea as i'm really poor at explaining. If information is still not properly stated, I'm willing to remove this post. Sorry for wasting your time. Really appreciate.

I think this is the best I'm able to present the idea as i'm really poor at explaining. If information is still not properly stated, I'm willing to remove this post. Sorry for wasting your time. Really appreciate.
I'll try and work with what you've given me. I'm trying to get you to think about your tactic, rather than me just spoon-feeding you.

This is difficult when you don't answer questions and half-read posts.

Bro for the issues, I'm having problems with the current tactics. Its leaking too much goals at the back and offers minimal threats up front in each games and it not one off. I do not understand where I did wrongly here.
"Leaking at the back" means nothing, honestly. HOW? WHERE?

Looking at your tactic, I have to make my own guesses as you've not told me the ideas behind the instructions - something I specifically asked for.

You have a Standard mentality, which will have average pressing. You've combined that with Hard Tackling. Why the Offside Trap? Are you currently denying the opposition players the time to pick passes to attackers who made timed runs through?

My idea behind this tactic for the team is to at least able to play the cheap version Tiki-Taka of Mark Hughes. As for their role/duties I put them in according to their best position.

The bolded part is wrong. You cannot forget the overall tactic. A tactic needs balance. If you've done that, you have 11 individuals all doing their own thing.

I need help to allow me to know what i did wrongly for the tactics/instructions.

*Playing possession based football
*Able provide more threats up front
*Able to prevent leaking in to much goals

These will be the vision I want my team to be playing.
The 3 points are broad points. How have you implemented it?

The bolded part is interesting. Define what a threat is?

I will like the main assist to come from the winger like Allefay and Shaqiri. Cutting into the middle and providing assist. Next with Bojan & Diouf contributing to the goals.
That's why your tactic isn't working. You want 2 players (who are on the bench) to supply 1 player on the wide left and another on the bench.

Again, what are you aiming to do?

That's why your tactic isn't working. You want 2 players (who are on the bench) to supply 1 player on the wide left and another on the bench.

Again, what are you aiming to do?

Bro for this I uploaded my main/backup team in my last reply.

My apologies for not defining things properly, 'threats' in my own words is that my team can constantly attack in the opposition area. 'Leaking at the back' to be more properly defined are that my team keeps letting in goals in the free kick box area but not from set pieces.

Thank you for trying to tell me that I need to find a balance in the team, not just putting in 11 individuals on the field to their best postition. I somewhat got your point.

Last edited:
My apologies for not defining things properly, 'threats' in my own words is that my team can constantly attack in the opposition area.

You say that, but your entire team had a bunch of support duties. It would be their duty to keep up with play and support play then, not make runs ahead of play. That's what Attack duties do.

So you're looking at Inside Forwards, to supply a Playmaker and a Defensive Forward?

I'd have a re-think about that. I'm assuming quite a few of your roles will change now that you don't just pick the 'best role' for the individual anymore.

You say that, but your entire team had a bunch of support duties. It would be their duty to keep up with play and support play then, not make runs ahead of play. That's what Attack duties do.

Oh I see cause all along to me attack needs support. So I tend to add in more support rather than to put all on attack.
Thanks mate, another thing learned today.

So you're looking at Inside Forwards, to supply a Playmaker and a Defensive Forward?

I'd have a re-think about that. I'm assuming quite a few of your roles will change now that you don't just pick the 'best role' for the individual anymore.

Roger that, cause I have this idiotic thinking that since the AMC playermaker can cover the cons of a defensive forward being defensive. Bojan might be able to find space for himself up front.

And also another part being the IF just cutting in to the middle of the field as and when to supply the ball to Bojan.

Roger that, cause I have this idiotic thinking that since the AMC playermaker can cover the cons of a defensive forward being defensive. Bojan might be able to find space for himself up front.

And also another part being the IF just cutting in to the middle of the field as and when to supply the ball to Bojan.
Do you watch matches and the movement of your players? IF/S will stay fairly deep and cut inside with the ball... right into the area where your AP/A and DF/S will be. Both of them will be deeper too, btw.