Higgs Boson Discovery ? - July 4, 2012

Lol_101

Reaction score
Last edited:
4293136574_9b6c2eef5f_o.png

It's a Higgs like boson, rather than THE Higgs Boson from the standard model. So far. Exciting times, one of the biggest discoveries of our generation. Now for more research into the actual particle to confirm what it is, and understand it, hopefully revealing many of the secrets of the universe.

If anyone would like to post a fairly idiot proof summary of what kind of tech/ advancements this may lead to, I'm sure that'd help some people out.

Ok fine it'd also help me out.

If anyone would like to post a fairly idiot proof summary of what kind of tech/ advancements this may lead to, I'm sure that'd help some people out.

Ok fine it'd also help me out.

No one knows. Science seeks to understand, it's only when we understand nature fully that we can begin to exploit it to our advantage. When Faraday discovered electricity, he had no idea what it would lead to.

It's the particle that seeks to explain why matter has mass, everything has mass, so its scope is pretty wide ranging. It should hopefully help us to understand subjects like dark matter. Since only 5% of the universe is matter, understanding the dark stuff is pretty important to science and could have huge implications for us in the future.