Jay DeMerit- Getting Back Into The Game

Anderson883

Reaction score
Jay DeMerit Story-

Thinking Behind the story?

Hi There, so basically i have played football manager for a decent amount of time, and had some very varied success, never done a story before so thought i would give doing a story a go to see if there is any interest in people following my story. I am looking for this to be a very long term save and to see if i can somehow get a long way into the future. Hopefully then you guys can watch the story and see an interesting career path gather pace! I wanted to pick an ex player, one who played a decent level, but not exactly a super star, i went with a player called Jay DeMerit, USA international who played for the club i support - Watford.

Jay DeMerit-

View attachment 30992

A bit of a background behind jay, very short and sweet, played 183 times for Watford, his longest stint at a club by a considerable amount playing at Centre Back. H hard tackling big centre half who took no nonsense. He also played 25 times for the United States.

Games Challenge-

Experience- Proffesional footballer (regional level)
Qualifications - National A license
Club- Unemployed

The main story is to follow Jays reintergration into the game, see how his career unfolds and to see if he sticks to a club for many seasons, for bounces from club to club.

The Twist! -

Jay will be playing this story as a HEAD COACH, meaning he will coach the teams he is employed by, end of. Director of football will be in place to basically run the club and the transfers, hiring of staff etc, the very modern way of football clubs to be run.

Signing off-

​As this is my first story, any help into how to make it better or more interesting would be much appreciated, i hope to update it regularly so if people have ideas or things they want to see then please just let me know!

Enjoy the ride!

Jay

The Story Begins -

After a few months on holiday, and Jay a giving in his resume to countless clubs he finally got a job offer from a club languishing in league 2....

View attachment 30967

Yup that is right, mansfield town in league 2 of english football were happy to give Jay DeMerit his way back into football, a reasonable sized club who were tipped to do well at the beginning of the season, found themselves in 19th position as Jay took over the Club.

Club Foundations and key players -

View attachment 30965View attachment 30964View attachment 30963View attachment 30962View attachment 30961

A good sturdy squad with a blend of youth and experience means that Jay has players he can call on, but also a youthful look about the squad in whoich he can get his teeth stuck in to. A decent sized stadium and some finance behind them meant that he felt this was a very good oppurtunity to get his start in football management.

Philosophy-

Formation-
4-5-1
Style- Possession based high press/intensity football
Mentality- Attacking

Will this philosophy of DeMerits work in League 2, or will he quickly learn that you have to be adaptable and change his style to fit the conditions and league he is coaching in? Only time will tell!

Who is running the football club-

One Answer- His name is Thiago Cruz, a young Brazilian at the tender age of 37 years of age has been tasked with running mansfield football club, He has experience in the director of football role, being DOF of Brisbane raw 09-11 and Ituano 2012-16. He will almost be acting as a general manager while DeMerit takes charge of the coaching aspect. DeMerit and Cruz met while on a football camp in 2008, since then have been close friends and have stayed in contact, DeMerit made sure that one of the clauses in his contract was that Cruz was to come on board with him. As seen he got his wish and Cruz penned a 3 year contract.

View attachment 30958

Thiago Cruz Pictured Below -

View attachment 30956

Whats up next?

October/November results
Any significant movements
DeMerits Philosophy

October/November-

23/10/2018 - Morcambe 0-2 Mansfield town

View attachment 30902
Jay DeMerit took over Mansfield town 3 days before this game, he had 2 days proper training with them to try to get across his philosophy and work ethic in which he demands from his teams. And boy did they respond! A true football domination, dominated the ball and shots to get Mansfield off to the perfect start under DeMerit. 'A great performance from the boys' DeMerit added. 'I could not ask much more from them, they placed some terrific stuff, passed the ball nicely and gave us 3 points to lift us up the table!'

27/10/2018 Mansfield Town 1-0 MK Dons

View attachment 30901

30/10/2018- Mansfield Town 5-1 Grimsby

View attachment 30900

3/11/2018 Cheltenham Town 0-2 Mansfield Town
View attachment 30898

10-11-2018 - FC Halifax 0-2 Mansfield Town (FA Cup)

View attachment 30899
13/11/2018 - Mansfield Town 2-1 Doncaster (Checkatrade trophy)

View attachment 30897

24/11/2018 - Lincoln 0-5 Mansfield

View attachment 30896

27/11/2018- Mansfield Town 3-1 Crawley Town FC

View attachment 30895

League Position

View attachment 30894

Roundup-

In what has been a ridiculously busy start for DeMerit in his managerial career, he has gotten off to the best start imaginable, winning all of his games so far, but not only winning, also imposing a style of play in which is exciting the fans and board alike. DeMerit got a standing ovation when he was revealed by the crowd, some dubious due to lack of experience, but what an appointment so far, Mansfield playing the best football in the division so far.

DeMerit has risen them up the table 15 places in his first 2 months in charge and mansfield look very likely to be in the hunt for a promotion space come the season closure. The biggest question is will Cruz be active in January to give DeMerit the boost in recruitment he may need to solidify a promotion spot.

DeMerit was not the only busy man at the club, his mate and DOF Thiago Cruz has been busy the last 2 months putting together DeMerits backroom staff, quite a bit of staff retained but now Cruz is plugging the gaps with good coaches to propel the club forwards.

Next Episode-
December/Jan results
Transfer movements
A few stats

What do you guys think about the start? Do we think DeMerit is on for a long and successful career at Mansfield? Or will it just be a stepping block for the future?

Last edited: